Do emperors glow in the dark...?

projectpardalis

Arachnopeon
So today I picked up a emperor for my son. I'll post a picture in a couple days so you all can critiqe(sp) it. Any way before i go out and buy a black light, do emperors glow in the dark using a black light?

Also do they require any heat at night?

Thanks,
Dennis

ArNT1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes scorpions do glow in the dark. But I don't think having the blacklight on all the time will be very well for the emp.
Keep the temperatures around 85-90.
Good luck!

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
projectpardalis said:
So today I picked up a emperor for my son. I'll post a picture in a couple days so you all can critiqe(sp) it. Any way before i go out and buy a black light, do emperors glow in the dark using a black light?

Also do they require any heat at night?

Thanks,
Dennis

Yes it slowely kills them!!!!!!

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
There is no evidence that using a standard store-bought blacklight on your scorpion to make it fluoresce will kill it.

However, prolonged exposure of the scorpion to a blacklight can cause it to slowly loose the ability to fluoresce and possibly cause damage to the part of the exoskeleton covering the eyes by fogging.

John
];')

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Kugellager said:
There is no evidence that using a standard store-bought blacklight on your scorpion to make it fluoresce will kill it.

However, prolonged exposure of the scorpion to a blacklight can cause it to slowly loose the ability to fluoresce and possibly cause damage to the part of the exoskeleton covering the eyes by fogging.

John
];')
I hear on many forums like this one it is unhealthy and the long term effects will shorten its life span! In my eyes thats "killing it".

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
You also hear that you should shake your crickets with a mineral suppliment for your scorpions...which is ridiculous as they get all their needed nutrition from their prey.

As I said...there is no evidence to support that a standard blacklight will kill you scorpion. If you use a medical or sterilization UV source to fluoresce your scorpion that can and will eventually kill your scorpion.

John
];')

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
RaZeDaHeLL666 said:
I hear on many forums like this one it is unhealthy and the long term effects will shorten its life span! In my eyes thats "killing it".
hey,
if found out NEVER to trust info on the net unless you have experienced it yourself...
be weary =D ive been fooled alot of times from internet info ;(

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
G. Carnell said:
hey,
if found out NEVER to trust info on the net unless you have experienced it yourself...
be weary =D ive been fooled alot of times from internet info ;(
either way i dont trust that black light thing!!

and I heard that about the cricket thing too, but never done it, all the vitamin prowers are indicated for reptiles anyway!, I wouldnt trust giving it to a scorp!!

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
maybe..

but a scorpion doesnt need strong bones >.< so NO CALCIUM SUPLEMENTS!

projectpardalis

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all your help. It's not my intention to kill it, kind of defeats the purpose of having a scorpion.

Dennis

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
RaZeDaHeLL666 said:
vitamin prowers are indicated for reptiles anyway!, I wouldnt trust giving it to a scorp!!
The sad thing is is that many pet stores recommend the powedered vitamin suppliments in their scorpion care sheets...Petco for instance...IMO this is nothing more than a blatant attempt to sell merchandise to unknowing customers...sad.

John
];')

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
projectpardalis said:
Thanks for all your help. It's not my intention to kill it, kind of defeats the purpose of having a scorpion.

Dennis
you can put a black light on the scorpion...just don't leave it on all the time. Say 15-20 minutes a day shouldn't have any negative effects as far as losing it's flourescence.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So does a scorpion loosing its flouressence and the eye fogging happen because of prolonged exposure or acumitave exposure I mean say you leave it on like the above mention post 15-20 minutes every now and then, will this build up and cause the same effects at a slower rate or does the lighth ave to be on for a certian lengh of time say 3 hours a day before any signs will show?

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Malhavoc's said:
So does a scorpion loosing its flouressence and the eye fogging happen because of prolonged exposure or acumitave exposure I mean say you leave it on like the above mention post 15-20 minutes every now and then, will this build up and cause the same effects at a slower rate or does the lighth ave to be on for a certian lengh of time say 3 hours a day before any signs will show?
Interesting question, I would say its a cumulative effect since the exoskeleton doesn't regenerate except as moults. The fogging and the apparent loss of fluorescence are caused by a specific chemical change in the exoskeleton that is most likely pretty irreversible (though it would be interesting to see whether fluorescence returned after time). Hence the effect would be cumulative, though a moult should fix any problem. The damage starts the moment the UV light is turned on, even if only for a short time, though of course with low intensity UV sources any damage will be utterly negligable for reasonable amounts of time.