Debate with the Mrs...

mcliff1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was having a debate with the Mrs regarding True Spiders. Do any of you every catch local "True Spiders" and keep them in the same manner that you keep Ts? I don't mean ordering a brown recluse on the net...I'm talking about spiders native to your area...

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats what I mostly keep now, wolfs, kukulcania, fishing spiders and more:)

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lots of people do, what exactly were you debating about?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, you didn't really state what the debate was about, but I've got a hunch. Here's how it kind of looks to me: I think there is a bunch of commercialization, labeling, and hype going on just to sell a product. Availability and rarity are key ideas to selling things, it's commercialization. I know people that wouldn't pull a banana off a banana plant and eat it because it wasn't sold at an HEB store because they think it's "dirty" and not safe, hahaha!, strange thinking!!. Due to commercialization, they think the store made the banana. The local stuff, IMO, is just as interesting at the non-native stuff. You just have to realize your world is just like everybody else's in a big way no matter what part of the world. People interested in the invert hobby in China, Malaysia, Russia, Germany, Scotland etc., would love to get a giant waterbug, a heros pede, an Aphonopelma T, a recluse, a house spider, a Black Widow, a US Solifugid, a US vinegarone, etc. There is interesting stuff here as well. Some cool tropical stuff out there, I won't deny that but a lot of cool stuff here too.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It can also depend on what you're into. There aren't many giants here in GA. Not many scorps, or big pedes, or tailless whips... lots of L. mactans though, and other neat true spiders. One day I'm going to make a collecting trip for C. truncata! :drool:

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I will say that when I find a cool local bug, I'm much more apt to observe and photo and then just let it about it's business. With stuff from other locals I only acquire it if I think I have a chance of breeding it. Which is really my same philosophy with local stuff, eg. I collect and breed widows.

mcliff1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Our debate revolved around the merit of caputuring, observing, breeding, etc; local spiders. She seems to think it is somewhat pointless - they live inside and outside the house already - why bother "keeping" them. My thought was - why not? You can observe and enjoy them the same way we do with the Ts.

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Indeed! As for locals, I keep a house spider and two fishing spiders. The fishing spiders are my favourites :p

quinquestriatus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep a lot of native species. In colorado I kept A LOT of jumping spiders and widows. I was producing more widows than I knew what to do with. So I turned the babies loose. Now I've moved to GA and I'm collecting all kinds of crazy spiders. A lot of which I'm still in the process of IDing. Right now I have 8 really common "house spiders" that are in cages. There's like hundereds of them in this house. I just enjoy keeping arachnids. They fascinate me.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Our debate revolved around the merit of caputuring, observing, breeding, etc; local spiders. She seems to think it is somewhat pointless - they live inside and outside the house already - why bother "keeping" them. My thought was - why not? You can observe and enjoy them the same way we do with the Ts.
Fish live outside as well;)