Death curl???

arc07693

Arachnopeon
I don't know what could possibly be wrong, but it looks as if Daisy is in, or is going into a death curl. 3 or 4 of her legs are curled under her body, and her fangs are hanging out. At first I thought she was grooming but it seems this is not the case, and I'm very worried. What should I do? :(

EDIT: She's... back into a normal position now? I'm confused. Do their (G. rosea, specifically) legs curl completely under them, exactly like a death curl, when grooming sometimes? Because that's really strange.

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What you describe there is nothing else but grooming. You worry too much ;)

arc07693

Arachnopeon
What you describe there is nothing else but grooming. You worry too much ;)
Ah, well, that's relieving. But I found it extremely odd that her legs would curl completely inward, as I have never seen them do that before. And yes, I do worry too much. :)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Common mistake, don't worry. (again! :D)

Tarantulas move often more than a single leg under them to groom (young ones try it even with all legs at once...usually ends with the T getting spooked because falling/nearly falling on its side, lol). If you don't move, don't cause any air movement and the like, you can easily watch them doing that.

Here's a vid of my A. avicularia grooming for example:
[YOUTUBE]nIHOIMEoeJU[/YOUTUBE]

arc07693

Arachnopeon
Common mistake, don't worry. (again! :D)

Tarantulas move often more than a single leg under them to groom (young ones try it even with all legs at once...usually ends with the T getting spooked because falling/nearly falling on its side, lol). If you don't move, don't cause any air movement and the like, you can easily watch them doing that.

Here's a vid of my A. avicularia grooming for example:
[YOUTUBE]nIHOIMEoeJU[/YOUTUBE]
Wow, that's a pretty T.

But yes, I have seen her grooming before, but this time her back legs were curled completely inwards, like a death curl, and she wasn't moving the front ones, sitting completely still. But now I'm pretty confident she was grooming before I got up to look at her, and she stopped when I was looking at her, as she looks normal now. :)

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
It's commonly assumed to be grooming, but I've never seen them actually groom when in the faux death curl position. I think it's just another one of their weird stretches. Here are a couple of pics of mine doing so, to reassure you that it is still perfectly normal :)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My Homoeomma sp. "blue" male does that sometimes now, Hobo. Looks extremely weird :D Sadly, whenever I move close to the cage to take a pic, he moves instantly into his burrow under the artificial plant :D

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
It's funny what positions T's get into when grooming.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup, my little A.versi is expert on that, grooming every now and then, basically grooming after ANY activity :D

Quite scared me a few times :sarcasm:

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
[video=youtube;r2SEJGJuSmw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2SEJGJuSmw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Here wrath my H. lividum grooming

FearNot

Arachnosquire
I have never witnessed my G.rosea do anything like this, but I purchased a young (probably 2", Im a BAD judge of size.) A.avic and (s)he did this when I got home with it. I caught it with two of its front legs curled under itself twice, and I about lost it, thinking it was dying on me ALREADY. Buut, when I got closer to get a better look (s)he moved away, using all its legs and looking healthy. Seems fine.

I guess (s)he was just stretching after all. PHEW!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Here's one of my Homoeomma sp. "blue" grooming....nearly falls over or into the waterdish while doing so lol :D

[YOUTUBE]qQSZcgT_lis[/YOUTUBE]