Cyriopagopus schmidti Toxicity

Boogerjets

Arachnopeon
I have been looking into getting a Cyriopagopus schmidti but when I was doing research on them I could not find any reliable information on how toxic it’s venom is. I know it’s a old world so it can’t be fun experience. Does anyone have any information on this species venom?
I look forward to seeing what y’all have to say.

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
It’s definitely not a fun experience but I don’t think there’s been any scientific analysis on their venom, though I may be wrong. I would read bite reports from this species and from other Cyriopagopus species like C. lividus and C. minax to get an idea of what the experience is like. Short answer though is you definitely do not want to be bitten by this spider.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah it won't be a pleasant experience, but unless you have any underlying health conditions, it won't kill you. Paradoxically, scientists actually modified a peptide from the venom of C. schmidti to produce a non addictive pain killer that rivals opiates. Yet another reason to preserve biodiversity. Nature has been playing with chemistry for billions of years, preserving it in the expressed and "junk" DNA of life and any thought that humans will be able to match the sheer quantity and functionality of unique natural compounds in a lab is naive.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
As with all tarantulas, the venom is a complex cocktail with many hundreds (in some reports > 400 identifiable by mass spec, and more unknown) of components.
There are scores of neurotoxic peptides that get grouped into families, such as the theraphotoxins and huwentoxins. These are mostly voltage-gated sodium and calcium channel inhibitors, though there are some ligand-gated channel inhibitors as well. The peptide toxins can be highly specific to particular prey/predator species, depending on the exact structure of the species' neuron channel proteins. Some theraphotoxins are extremely deadly to mealworms, for example, and less so to other insects. In general, there are invertebrate toxins and vertebrate toxins with little cross-phyla potency. If only those nasty rats and monkeys and other mammalian predators would leave the poor spiders alone, then tarantulas would not have had to evolve any mammal-specific venom components, and we wouldn't be talking about any of this.
So you know how neurons work, that at rest they have a negative voltage with respect to the surrounding fluid, but when they fire [an "action potential"] there is a rapid wave of depolarization that shoots along the axons like a chain of dominoes falling as voltage-gated channels open up and allow a flood of positively charged sodium ions in. It's so fast! You can wiggle your little toes on command, and that brain-body communication passed in single long neurons spanning several feet from the base of your spine to the tip of your feet, and all in milliseconds! Then the voltage differential is restored by sodium/potassium pumps: 3 sodium+ ions out and 2 potassium+ in, causing a net negative voltage to develop again to be ready for the next time an action potential will be fired (which often will happen in on the order of 1/15th of a second later, and sometimes much sooner than that). The sodium/potassium pumps work against ion gradients, so they require energy. That's why nerve tissue requires so much energy, and thinking really can make you hungry... but I digress. Voltage-gated channel inhibitors interfere with this nerve conduction and can cause [or relieve as @l4nsky mentioned] a lot of pain, not to mention paralysis. That's also how tetrodotoxin from toads and puffer fish/fugu works.
The greatest causes for human concern might be the voltage-gated calcium channels that keep your heart beating (by one report of particular concern with a Cyriopagopus bite), paralysis of the diaphragm that lets you keep breathing, nerve damage...

Then the neurotoxins aren't all you have to worry about. The venom will contain enzymes like hyaluronidase that will literally digest your flesh. That would hurt.
Then there are neurotransmitters like histamine, which causes inflammation, allergic reactions, and PAIN. Histamine is the major reason that wasp stings are so painful.
Another concern could be allergic reactions. If you go into anaphylaxis, you could die very quickly...

Well... we don't know that anyone has ever died. Not trying to scare anyone, though it's wise to caution beginners to start with slower and more docile genera.
But if you get envenomated by any Cyriopagopus species, I'm sure it will cause you a great deal of pain.

Huwentoxin-I has been reported to be the most abundant peptide toxin in Cyriopagopus venom. I'm linking some papers here:
https://www.jbc.org/article/S0021-9258(17)48599-1/fulltext
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7551932/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6198068/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6786292/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0041010100001501?via=ihub
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6468265/

Now lastly, I will share a personal secret, a suspicion really... that my Cyriopagopus spp. just want me to think that they're tough.
They can't fool me! I see through the facade. The reason they run away and hide so much faster than many of my other spiders is that they're COWARDS!
They're not out to get us. I do the same as other sensible keepers here, and you should too: Don't let them bite you.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As with all tarantulas, the venom is a complex cocktail with many hundreds (in some reports > 400 identifiable by mass spec, and more unknown) of components.
There are scores of neurotoxic peptides that get grouped into families, such as the theraphotoxins and huwentoxins. These are mostly voltage-gated sodium and calcium channel inhibitors, though there are some ligand-gated channel inhibitors as well. The peptide toxins can be highly specific to particular prey/predator species, depending on the exact structure of the species' neuron channel proteins. Some theraphotoxins are extremely deadly to mealworms, for example, and less so to other insects. In general, there are invertebrate toxins and vertebrate toxins with little cross-phyla potency. If only those nasty rats and monkeys and other mammalian predators would leave the poor spiders alone, then tarantulas would not have had to evolve any mammal-specific venom components, and we wouldn't be talking about any of this.
So you know how neurons work, that at rest they have a negative voltage with respect to the surrounding fluid, but when they fire [an "action potential"] there is a rapid wave of depolarization that shoots along the axons like a chain of dominoes falling as voltage-gated channels open up and allow a flood of positively charged sodium ions in. It's so fast! You can wiggle your little toes on command, and that brain-body communication passed in single long neurons spanning several feet from the base of your spine to the tip of your feet, and all in milliseconds! Then the voltage differential is restored by sodium/potassium pumps: 3 sodium+ ions out and 2 potassium+ in, causing a net negative voltage to develop again to be ready for the next time an action potential will be fired (which often will happen in on the order of 1/15th of a second later, and sometimes much sooner than that). The sodium/potassium pumps work against ion gradients, so they require energy. That's why nerve tissue requires so much energy, and thinking really can make you hungry... but I digress. Voltage-gated channel inhibitors interfere with this nerve conduction and can cause [or relieve as @l4nsky mentioned] a lot of pain, not to mention paralysis. That's also how tetrodotoxin from toads and puffer fish/fugu works.
The greatest causes for human concern might be the voltage-gated calcium channels that keep your heart beating (by one report of particular concern with a Cyriopagopus bite), paralysis of the diaphragm that lets you keep breathing, nerve damage...

Then the neurotoxins aren't all you have to worry about. The venom will contain enzymes like hyaluronidase that will literally digest your flesh. That would hurt.
Then there are neurotransmitters like histamine, which causes inflammation, allergic reactions, and PAIN. Histamine is the major reason that wasp stings are so painful.
Another concern could be allergic reactions. If you go into anaphylaxis, you could die very quickly...

Well... we don't know that anyone has ever died. Not trying to scare anyone, though it's wise to caution beginners to start with slower and more docile genera.
But if you get envenomated by any Cyriopagopus species, I'm sure it will cause you a great deal of pain.

Huwentoxin-I has been reported to be the most abundant peptide toxin in Cyriopagopus venom. I'm linking some papers here:
https://www.jbc.org/article/S0021-9258(17)48599-1/fulltext
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7551932/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6198068/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6786292/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0041010100001501?via=ihub
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6468265/

Now lastly, I will share a personal secret, a suspicion really... that my Cyriopagopus spp. just want me to think that they're tough.
They can't fool me! I see through the facade. The reason they run away and hide so much faster than many of my other spiders is that they're COWARDS!
They're not out to get us. I do the same as other sensible keepers here, and you should too: Don't let them bite you.
Dave STOP plagiarizing Kandel Schwartz and Jessell :troll:

So you know how neurons work
They require sugar :troll: Do I get the Nobel?

Last edited:

Boogerjets

Arachnopeon
Paradoxically, scientists actually modified a peptide from the venom of C. schmidti to produce a non addictive pain killer that rivals opiates.
That is really interesting. do you know where you found this information?

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
I’ve been thinking more and wanted to do some very crude, back-of-the-envelope type of calculations.
I remembered an oldish (2004) tarantula venom lethality testing study in which the researchers injected mice ICV with 0.1 ul of tarantula venom from 55 different species, and then timed how long it would take the mice to die.

The paper is paywalled by the particularly wonderful-yet-[properly/legally]-eager-to-take-your-money Dutch people at Elsevier, so I will summarize for those that don’t have access.

--------------------------------------
Results summary:
* All of the tested Asian and African species’ venoms killed the mice, most in less than 10 min, P. muticus (published under the old name C. crawshayi), S. calceatum, and P. regalis being the fastest of those tested at around 3 min, the only Cyriopagopus species (supposedly paganus) being pretty fast at about 8 min.
* 70% of the North and Central American species’ venoms did not kill the mice out to 2 hours, and of those that did the average time to death was about 25-30 min, the most lethal being [surprisingly] Avic. juruensis (published under the old name urticans) and Tap. laticeps (Note: I disagree with the authors classifying these two species as Central American -- they are South American – but let’s not complain when we’re being given data).
* 30% of the [all correctly classified as] South American species’ venoms didn’t kill the mice. Of those that did, the average time to death was about 12-15 min, with Grammostolas and Theraphosa being most deadly.
------------------------------------------

I wish the injections weren’t done ICV (intracerebroventricular – into the middle of the brain). No tarantula can bite through your skull, and no tarantula has fangs 3+ inches long, which would be necessary to reach the cerebral ventricles. Ask an expert like @viper69, but I don’t think even Gaboon viper fangs grow so big.
SC (subcutaneous – under the skin) or IM (intramuscular – well… the meaning is obvious) injections would better simulate a tarantula bite. The ICV injections will have unrealistically concentrated the venom in the central nervous system, but this is the data we have.

So the mice injected weighed 20 g each, and an average adult human might weigh 70 kg (154 lbs), which is 3500x the weight of a mouse. What volume of venom will a biting tarantula inject? I don’t know, but unless it’s a dry bite, it will be a lot more than 0.1 ul. I’m curious if anyone knows or can make a good educated guess. Obviously, it will vary tremendously depending on the size of the spider, and whether it’s a quick bite, or really latching on and draining its venom glands. For now, let’s say 150 ul (which is about as much as 3 drops from an eyedropper, my uneducated guess for a medium duration bite from a big adult) or 1500x the volume of venom that the mice were given.

Then, by weight, the human will be dosed under the skin at only 1500/3500 = 42.86% of what the mice got straight in the brain. The above study also didn’t determine the minimum lethal doses (e.g. what if 0.05 ul of OW venom would still kill the mice and just take longer to do so). Then there’s the somewhat significant fact that we are not mice. Rodents are likely to be predators and sometimes prey. The venom is likely to be a bit more potent towards them than to us. I guess lemurs, tarsiers, monkeys, and apes are predators more like we are, more like some of us than others!

SO, there are so many uncertainties and assumptions and caveats and confounding factors, that we can’t have much confidence in drawing conclusions, but I think it would be very difficult for any tarantula to kill a healthy human adult. But even if a bite can’t kill you, it probably won’t feel good.

Dave STOP plagiarizing Kandel Schwartz and Jessell :troll:
@viper69, being a highly knowledgeable reptile with a strong science background, is referring to a famous textbook:
Principles of Neural Science by Kandel, Schwartz, and Jessell. It's excellent and written in a very accessible way so that you don't have to be a scientist to understand it; highly recommended to anyone interested in Neuroscience.

At least about being influenced by above text:
@viper69, you caught me! I'm guilty! And you're more right than you know, because those guys all worked at my university.
James Schwartz was trained by Eric Kandel and became a famous scientist in his own right. He died just after I started grad school, and I never met him.
Thomas Jessell I met only once, but he had been the postdoc mentor of a young associate professor that helped and mentored me a great deal, so I feel a connection.
Prof. Jessell got kicked out of the university for some gross improprieties involving female subordinates. He was dying of an unspecified brain disease that may have affected his personality and judgement, so it might not be completely his fault. He was a great scientist; he died a couple of years ago.
Then, Eric Kandel, Nobel Prize winner for advancements in understanding learning and memory. He played with Aplysia (sea slugs). I met with him multiple times. I always wanted to poke him and demand, "Say something smart!" I always wanted to straighten his bow-tie; he was [or is, because he's still alive] famous for wearing colorful [and slightly crooked] bow-ties, among other better reasons for his fame. I never did poke him, because one must treat such a respectable person with respect. He has a very humble personality and was a great listener. He just listened to me and asked questions, because he wants to understand everything. I was sitting next to him at a lecture once, when he interrupted the speaker and said, "Now, I'm sorry to interrupt you, but could you just say that again please? I'm sorry, I'm an old man, and I'm a little slow, but I just want to make sure I understand you." <-- and that captures his personality perfectly. He just cares about science and wants to understand everything, in the most humble and respectful way.

So you know how neurons work
They require sugar :troll: Do I get the Nobel?
I'll call up my buddy Eric Kandel to see if he'll share his with you. You deserve it. 🏅
Truly, everyone, the serpent from the tree of knowledge of good and evil had not finished his work with enlightening Eve.
He slithers among us still and enlightens us all!

Last edited:

sasker

Arachnoprince
Results summary:
* All of the tested Asian and African species’ venoms killed the mice, most in less than 10 min, P. muticus (published under the old name C. crawshayi), S. calceatum, and P. regalis being the fastest of those tested at around 3 min, the only Cyriopagopus species (supposedly paganus) being pretty fast at about 8 min.
* 70% of the North and Central American species’ venoms did not kill the mice out to 2 hours, and of those that did the average time to death was about 25-30 min, the most lethal being [surprisingly] Avic. juruensis (published under the old name urticans) and Tap. laticeps (Note: I disagree with the authors classifying these two species as Central American -- they are South American – but let’s not complain when we’re being given data).
* 30% of the [all correctly classified as] South American species’ venoms didn’t kill the mice. Of those that did, the average time to death was about 12-15 min, with Grammostolas and Theraphosa being most deadly.
TL;DR
Don't get bitten in your brain by a P. muticus, S. cal or P. regalis :troll:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’ve been thinking more and wanted to do some very crude, back-of-the-envelope type of calculations.
I remembered an oldish (2004) tarantula venom lethality testing study in which the researchers injected mice ICV with 0.1 ul of tarantula venom from 55 different species, and then timed how long it would take the mice to die.

The paper is paywalled by the particularly wonderful-yet-[properly/legally]-eager-to-take-your-money Dutch people at Elsevier, so I will summarize for those that don’t have access.

--------------------------------------
Results summary:
------------------------------------------

I wish the injections weren’t done ICV (intracerebroventricular – into the middle of the brain). No tarantula can bite through your skull, and no tarantula has fangs 3+ inches long, which would be necessary to reach the cerebral ventricles. Ask an expert like @viper69, but I don’t think even Gaboon viper fangs grow so big.
SC (subcutaneous – under the skin) or IM (intramuscular – well… the meaning is obvious) injections would better simulate a tarantula bite. The ICV injections will have unrealistically concentrated the venom in the central nervous system, but this is the data we have.

So the mice injected weighed 20 g each, and an average adult human might weigh 70 kg (154 lbs), which is 3500x the weight of a mouse. What volume of venom will a biting tarantula inject? I don’t know, but unless it’s a dry bite, it will be a lot more than 0.1 ul. I’m curious if anyone knows or can make a good educated guess. Obviously, it will vary tremendously depending on the size of the spider, and whether it’s a quick bite, or really latching on and draining its venom glands. For now, let’s say 150 ul (which is about as much as 3 drops from an eyedropper, my uneducated guess for a medium duration bite from a big adult) or 1500x the volume of venom that the mice were given.

Then, by weight, the human will be dosed under the skin at only 1500/3500 = 42.86% of what the mice got straight in the brain. The above study also didn’t determine the minimum lethal doses (e.g. what if 0.05 ul of OW venom would still kill the mice and just take longer to do so). Then there’s the somewhat significant fact that we are not mice. Rodents are likely to be predators and sometimes prey. The venom is likely to be a bit more potent towards them than to us. I guess lemurs, tarsiers, monkeys, and apes are predators more like we are, more like some of us than others!

SO, there are so many uncertainties and assumptions and caveats and confounding factors, that we can’t have much confidence in drawing conclusions, but I think it would be very difficult for any tarantula to kill a healthy human adult. But even if a bite can’t kill you, it probably won’t feel good.

@viper69, being a highly knowledgeable reptile with a strong science background, is referring to a famous textbook:
Principles of Neural Science by Kandel, Schwartz, and Jessell. It's excellent and written in a very accessible way so that you don't have to be a scientist to understand it; highly recommended to anyone interested in Neuroscience.

At least about being influenced by above text:
@viper69, you caught me! I'm guilty! And you're more right than you know, because those guys all worked at my university.
James Schwartz was trained by Eric Kandel and became a famous scientist in his own right. He died just after I started grad school, and I never met him.
Thomas Jessell I met only once, but he had been the postdoc mentor of a young associate professor that helped and mentored me a great deal, so I feel a connection.
Prof. Jessell got kicked out of the university for some gross improprieties involving female subordinates. He was dying of an unspecified brain disease that may have affected his personality and judgement, so it might not be completely his fault. He was a great scientist; he died a couple of years ago.
Then, Eric Kandel, Nobel Prize winner for advancements in understanding learning and memory. He played with Aplysia (sea slugs). I met with him multiple times. I always wanted to poke him and demand, "Say something smart!" I always wanted to straighten his bow-tie; he was [or is, because he's still alive] famous for wearing colorful [and slightly crooked] bow-ties, among other better reasons for his fame. I never did poke him, because one must treat such a respectable person with respect. He has a very humble personality and was a great listener. He just listened to me and asked questions, because he wants to understand everything. I was sitting next to him at a lecture once, when he interrupted the speaker and said, "Now, I'm sorry to interrupt you, but could you just say that again please? I'm sorry, I'm an old man, and I'm a little slow, but I just want to make sure I understand you." <-- and that captures his personality perfectly. He just cares about science and wants to understand everything, in the most humble and respectful way.

I'll call up my buddy Eric Kandel to see if he'll share his with you. You deserve it. 🏅
Truly, everyone, the serpent from the tree of knowledge of good and evil had not finished his work with enlightening Eve.
He slithers among us still and enlightens us all!
One of them is very good friends with a family member of mine, but never had the chance to run into them myself. A friend of mine was a postdoc in one of their labs. His paper is one that we all learn and read about in class.

So true about Elsevier!!