Cyriopagopus lividus odd behavior

Azu Sumiye

Arachnopeon
My Cyriopagopus lividus (cobalt blue) Juvenile I fed last night because it was peaking out of its burrow as it does anytime it excepts a feeding. Although this time I woke up on the morning and the Dubai roach was dead and just a mess of flesh in the middle of the enclosure, it's burrow was sealed off with dirt, and my T was sitting in a corner as if watching the roach.. she normally brings her kills down into her burrow I'm thinking she maybe couldn't fit the roach down there and accidentally buried her burrow?

ADHDARACHN1D

Arachnopeon
Only Thing I Could Think Is Maybe She Isn't Hungry But Killed It Anyway. As For The Other Behaviour Probably Just Wants Some Alone Time, Wants To Feel Secure

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Is it the only one in there? Usually when spiders leave the burrow, it's either too wet or it has been invaded by prey IME. Seems weird, but I can't say more, just pay attention. Mine was weird with food for a minute, seems better now.

slocoj91

Arachnosquire
My Cyriopagopus lividus (cobalt blue) Juvenile I fed last night because it was peaking out of its burrow as it does anytime it excepts a feeding. Although this time I woke up on the morning and the Dubai roach was dead and just a mess of flesh in the middle of the enclosure, it's burrow was sealed off with dirt, and my T was sitting in a corner as if watching the roach.. she normally brings her kills down into her burrow I'm thinking she maybe couldn't fit the roach down there and accidentally buried her burrow?
It's worth being aware that just because they think they want food, it doesn't mean they're always right. Opportunistic predators will sometimes still prep for prey coming by, because they don't know how long it might be before another comes. If they find when eating that they don't want any more, it becomes a larger than 'normal' bolus, and they've likely still replenished fluids if needed.

How are you keeping the enclosure? Any pictures?

Another thing, just because you see the bit below ground as the 'burrow', doesn't mean the tarantula sees it the same way, nor that how they see it can't change. I believe that coldblood on these forums (apologies if I've misremembered and attributed this to the wrong person!) has mentioned before about keeping slings in relatively small enclosures in order to have them use the whole enclosure as a burrow, instead of hiding away where they can't be easily and safely checked on.

That might be slings, but where a tarantula feels comfortable often depends on size, and the individual. As well as their environmental needs and the conditions that exist in their enclosure. I have tarantulas that are typically considered fossorial in their native environment, but which haven't burrowed in my care and appear to use the entire enclosure as a burrow.

If they haven't decided to use the whole enclosure/gotten bigger and decided below is 'too cramped' (for a T less common) and sealed off the hole to prevent unauthorised access to anything that might invade (they don't necessarily know that the only things entering do so due to you, and from above), which could be the case and they could even be preparing to molt in what they've decided is now their 'burrow', then my other thought would be to check for any hemolymph leakage - in case the roach got a bite in or something -, as well as what I mentioned above re the enclosure conditions and a picture.

But mostly I've learned that 'weird behaviour' in tarantulas is relative. And rarely truly weird when assessed critically, especially alongside 'norms' for the species in question.

Tarantulas - expect the unexpected, get comfortable with being uncomfortable, and discard any foolish notions that you might know better than they do (barring around 1% of the time, but don't expect to know when that 1% of the time is, either).

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Most likely wasn't actually in need of food so it killed the prey item so as not to be bothered by it.