Creature Caught in Bathroom

324r350

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can anyone ID? I live in Maryland and I caught this fellow creeping about the restroom. Hes pretty quick, a little slower than a centipede. Also can I get some care info (carnivore or herbivore). I feel like keeping him for a while. Sorry the pics a little out of focus. I caught him this morning quickly before the bus. Ill reshoot if it helps.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
that reminds me of a silverfish or a giant springtail

silverfish are pests that eat like, books and stuff

i was thinking about culturing them for another feeder

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
From what I read they are kept very similar to crickets. As long as they are kept hydrated and fed they should thrive and breed readily.

Last edited:

324r350

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So what do you think would make a good food? Id feel a little funny crumpling up a piece of paper.

Ecilious

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I like silverfish. I see the odd one by the cat food tray and I'd never bother removing them as they eat crumbs about the house. I mean, free cleaning assisstance? Not gonna argue with that.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
324r350 said:
So what do you think would make a good food? Id feel a little funny crumpling up a piece of paper.
i think they eat the glue in the paper, to get the actual calories

i'd try typical roach/cric food... old vege & fruit and stuff like that

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
cacoseraph said:
nice link!

dang, those might actually make good feeders
you'd have to grow out a couple generations to dilute any pesticides they might be carrying...

but they sound pretty hardy and it doesn't sound like they have repugnatorials or anything
Wow,pesticides can be genetically inherited :eek:
And here I thought a WC animal surviving more than a few days had metabolized any toxins, enough to be relatively safe to feed.
(source Dr Breene)
Tony

insect714

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cacoseraph said:
i think they eat the glue in the paper, to get the actual calories
Hello actually they are starch feeders feeding on starchy food stuffs like glue, oats, and potatoes. They can be reared in a jar and fed of these those starchy foods potatoes will provide the needed moisture just besure not to let it mold, or let the jar get too dry. Best of luck with them I have been trying to gather enough to start a colony but they seem pretty scarce here and also have not been able to find out about sexing them either..., but the 4 that I have managed to catch have been alive in captivity for over a month now, so I will see what happens when I can get a hold of some more...

Insect714

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
tony said:
Wow,pesticides can be genetically inherited :eek:
And here I thought a WC animal surviving more than a few days had metabolized any toxins, enough to be relatively safe to feed.
(source Dr Breene)
Tony
hi tony

well adjusted as always i see

i've read enough to form my own opinions about stuff like that, thanks though

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
cacoseraph said:
hi tony

well adjusted as always i see

i've read enough to form my own opinions about stuff like that, thanks though
Well seriously though...Inherited? What gives there? Link us up...Its an interesting statement

And I am quite well adjusted thanks ;P

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
tony said:
Well seriously though...Inherited? What gives there? Link us up...Its an interesting statement

And I am quite well adjusted thanks ;P
you said inherit and genes... not me, my special friend. i said i want to see a couple generations go by, that's all

last time i checked there were pesticides that interupt the reproductive and molting cycles of various pests... like mites which are arachnids, just like tarantulas and scorps, in case you didn't know

so if YOU want to consider two or three days adequate guard against reproductive or molt interupters, by all means have at... with YOUR collection

me on the other hand... i'm going to give feeders a gen or two to establish themselves as relatively safe after lifting WC populations

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
cacoseraph said:
you said inherit and genes... not me, my special friend. i said i want to see a couple generations go by, that's all

last time i checked there were pesticides that interupt the reproductive and molting cycles of various pests... like mites which are arachnids, just like tarantulas and scorps, in case you didn't know

so if YOU want to consider two or three days adequate guard against reproductive or molt interupters, by all means have at... with YOUR collection

me on the other hand... i'm going to give feeders a gen or two to establish themselves as relatively safe after lifting WC populations
Ok, sorry
Your post seemed to say they need several generations to rid themselves of pesticides. I know what pesticides do to life cycles. Hoever I have used some WC stuff before and havent had any sort of problems, I will respect any and all paranoia on that topic though...
First generation would be fine in my book...But then again so would recent acquisitions...

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
tony said:
Ok, sorry
Your post seemed to say they need several generations to rid themselves of pesticides. I know what pesticides do to life cycles. Hoever I have used some WC stuff before and havent had any sort of problems, I will respect any and all paranoia on that topic though...
First generation would be fine in my book...But then again so would recent acquisitions...
the other thing i'm worried about... and i admit this is probably rampant paranoia is that there are pesticides that get stuck to the exo but not eaten... this is part of their dispersal mechanism to take out the colony back home...

but anyhow, if one of the original breeders had that on them, and dies usually they get eaten, so then it's actually the second gen that's toxic

admittedly it's a long shot... but i KNOW you have better bugs than me, and i'd be loathe to lose any thing that i have

that said, i've fed WC feeder a couple few times and seem to have "gotten away" with it, too

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had a single silverfish from work for a few months now, surviving in just a small glass bottle with a leaf and some soil.

jarrell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
cacoseraph said:
the other thing i'm worried about... and i admit this is probably rampant paranoia is that there are pesticides that get stuck to the exo but not eaten... this is part of their dispersal mechanism to take out the colony back home...

but anyhow, if one of the original breeders had that on them, and dies usually they get eaten, so then it's actually the second gen that's toxic

admittedly it's a long shot... but i KNOW you have better bugs than me, and i'd be loathe to lose any thing that i have

that said, i've fed WC feeder a couple few times and seem to have "gotten away" with it, too
silverfish are primitive insects with no wings. they molt through out their lifes. i think its typical to have 62 molts. i think they eat there molt to gain nutrients. they are cannablistic so that may make it hard to breed.

gphx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You might want to reconsider and save yourself a lot of effort spent trying to rear silverfish or firebrats as feeders. I once had a similar idea. It seems like a great one. Unfortunately, research into their reproductive habits told me they usually only have about one batch of offspring a year and they can take multiple years to mature. Such a colony would take a very long time to establish and likely wouldn't be very productive at all.

They call them firebrats for a reason. The one place here where they can always be found is inside our gas range, right under the burners next to the pilot lights. We use the burners from time to time and they don't seem to be deterred by that at all. Perhaps it is such an ideal place to live because of the tendency for carbohydrate food debris to fall down in there.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
gphx said:
You might want to reconsider and save yourself a lot of effort spent trying to rear silverfish or firebrats as feeders. I once had a similar idea. It seems like a great one. Unfortunately, research into their reproductive habits told me they usually only have about one batch of offspring a year and they can take multiple years to mature. Such a colony would take a very long time to establish and likely wouldn't be very productive at all.

They call them firebrats for a reason. The one place here where they can always be found is inside our gas range, right under the burners next to the pilot lights. We use the burners from time to time and they don't seem to be deterred by that at all. Perhaps it is such an ideal place to live because of the tendency for carbohydrate food debris to fall down in there.
eek

they sound like tiny Mad. hissers :wall: