some blurry phonecam pics...

locality - Luzon

Female

Male

juvs

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think that what you call a male, is actually a whip spider that belongs to a totally different species, with much more slender and fragile pedipalps......did you collect that one in the Phillipines or was it store bought or traded with some other keeper? I am almost 100% sure that the specimen with the thin long pedipalps is not a Charon species. It looks more like a Euphrynichus species....but let's wait and see what Michael Seiter has to say about it.....

deathwing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think that what you call a male, is actually a whip spider that belongs to a totally different species, with much more slender and fragile pedipalps......did you collect that one in the Phillipines or was it store bought or traded with some other keeper? I am almost 100% sure that the specimen with the thin long pedipalps is not a Charon species. It looks more like a Euphrynichus species....but let's wait and see what Michael Seiter has to say about it.....
I collected these personally, with a possible Sarax sp. not pictured measuring nearly 3mm. Can you cite any references of our local amblypygi fauna? I think I have stumbled upon a pdf or html somewhere here but cannot find it anymore. Was the genital operculum sexual dimorphic?

*edit: I am kinda doubting it to be Euphrynichus... both have the same morphology in the pedipalps. There is no obvious difference in the spines, the male above just got his palps longer...

Last edited:

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Egads! I need one of these, they put my Damon diadema to shame, haha.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi,

If you collected them yourself in the Philippines, you can disregards my post. My knowledge on amblypgyids from the Philippines is too limited to give you any sound advice. It is just that I have seen pictures of adults of C. cf. grayi and the male in those picture did not have such long and slender pedipalps...
I am sure Michael (Banshee) can help you further.......

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,
I will answer tomorrow evening, cause on my mobil phone I cannot see much details...
But, Michiel: this is no Euphrynichus spp.-> to much spinations on the pediapl femur/tibia.. looks interesting... Let's see

deathwing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'll go back to our campus by friday or sat, i've got some preserved specimens there and hopefully fetch a better cam. That would not be a pain to take pictures with... and I can even draw it... :laugh:

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hello again,
I am sorry for my delay...
the pictures are even not good enough to make a real educated guess, but I can say the following...
-they are all Charonontidae
-on the Philippines just Charon and Sarax spp. are known, e.g. the following actuall paper
RAHMADI, C., M. S. HARVEY & J.-I. KOJIMA. 2011. The status of the whip spider subgenus Neocharon (Amblypygi: Charontidae) and the distribution of the genera Charon and Stygophrynus. The Journal of Arachnology, 39: 223-229.
or some older ones
RAHMADI, C. & M. S. HARVEY. 2008. A first epigean species of Stygophrynus Kraeplin (Amblypygi: Charontidae) from Java and Adjacent Islands, Indonesia with notes on S.dammermani Roewer, 1928. Raffles Bulletin of Zoology, 56(2): 281-288.
HARVEY, M. S. & P. L. J. WEST. 1998. New species of Charon (Amblypygi, Charontidae) from Northern Australia and Christmas Island. The Journal of Arachnology, 26: 273-284.
WEYGOLDT, P. 2002. Sperm transfer and spermatophore morphology of the whip spiders Sarax buxtoni, S. brachydactylus (Charinidae), Charon cf. grayi, and Stygophrynus brevispina nov. spec. (Charontidae) (Chelicerata, Amblypygi). Zoologischer Anzeiger, 241(2): 131-148
etc.
-Stygophrynus looks similar... but I cannot say it with this pictures... But they were never reported from the Philippines
-Sarax spp. only Sarax brachydactylus Simon, 1892 is known, see
Harvey, M.S. 2003. Catalogue of the Smaller Arachnid Orders of the World: Amblypygi, Uropygi, Schizomida, Palpigradi, Ricinulei and Solifugae. CSIRO Publishing, Melbourne, Australia.

this is not much information for you... I am sorry.
I will contact you later to manage some details for identification