Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As title explains:

[YOUTUBE]vdbeLciMCyQ[/YOUTUBE]

This video does not belong to me.

Last edited:

happysmile88

Arachnoknight
Very very very interesting, I suppose those black blobs are infections/malignant cells? Do you have pictures of them under a high powered microscope? :eek:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd be interested to see a comparison with a 'healthy' spider.

Pavlor

Arachnopeon
Very very very interesting, I suppose those black blobs are infections/malignant cells? Do you have pictures of them under a high powered microscope? :eek:
It's not his video, as he says, happysmile88 =)

For what it's worth, I was mildly curious to see the inside of the abdomen, but that's about it.

---------- Post added 01-25-2012 at 07:03 PM ----------

I'd be interested to see a comparison with a 'healthy' spider.
Yes, me too.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I would also be interested in seeing a comparison to a "healthy" spider. Interesting video regardless.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I had my volume off when I watched the video so I don't know if they referred to it as such other than the title having the word "cancer" in quotes. Assuming this is the only reference, then it sounds more like they're calling it that for lack of a better term. Otherwise I'd think they would have left the quotes out.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
The video wasn't in english (well I turned off the sound after the first little bit since I didn't understand it.) So I would think Joe is right to say that they are using the term "cancer" for lack of a better term. That was my assumption as well.

fatich

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you watch the video on youtube's own web page,there is an information under the video saying that :
Also this video is in polish.

"Strange illnes I found in some spiders abdomen. Spiders looks normaly, but they are standing almost all the time in the same place(or hanging on one leg).
They have big abdomen, and very often full of eggs.
If you see an tumor or scar, you can be sure that you can find these scary things in spiders body."

Also somebody asked a question to this on facebook about this video :

Question : Have you also dissectioned "healthy" spiders to verify that these hard nodes, arent "normal"(I dont think they are but to be sure)

Answer : (owner of the video) I saw spiders body from inside many times. Here you have an example http://www.terrarium.com.pl/galeria/foto/55470.jpg. I was studying biology and I know in general what I can find in spiders body. These "stones" I saw only in spiders wiht tumor or with scar.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I dissected my L. violaceopes after she died, and some others when I experimented with preserving them, and found nothing similar to what's on the video.

Anyway, here's a thread from last year of someone finding hard growths inside a spiders abdomen after it had died.

Hatr3d

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've dissected a tarantula that died for a molt problem before. I didn't notice something even remotely similar to those growth-like black things in the video. The rest of the innards was pretty similar. Obviously I can't say what those are but they don't look like "normal" to me.

Angelo2295

Arachnopeon
Hi!

This video belongs to me. I pute word cancer in quotes because I'm not sure what this thing is. We will try to recognize this in one university in Poland, because this is a bigger problem. Pictures you can see on the end of this film are from spiders from different people. As I wrote on YT spiders look dick and quite normal, but didn't eat and standing all the time in the same place, sometimes on the background and sometimes they are dying on the background hanging like a bat. If you have question I will try to answear.
BR

Angelo2295

Arachnopeon
Hi Everybody!

I recived answear from Melbourn (thx malhavoc's for this link)

Thank you for contacting Discovery Centre at Melbourne Museum with your spider question.

We have sent it through to our Live Exhibits manager and he has provided the following information.

I know of no cancers or tumours recorded from spiders. The Registry of Tumours in Lower Animals in Virginia, USA, holds more than 7,500 specimens with neoplastic lesions (tumours) in cold-blooded vertebrates and invertebrates, and none of them are spiders.

A lump outside the body and/or an amorphous mass inside the body, particularly the abdomen, is possibly a reaction to a previous injury or infection, causing melanisation of the tissues. I think this is the more likely cause – one day neoplastic lesions may be discovered in spiders but so far there’s no record.

The material also doesn’t appear to be an arthropod parasite or a worm of any sort. I’ve dissected objects that look like gallstones from inside insects and when they were analysed using mass spectrometry, they were found to contain unusual elements such as titanium.

I know of no fungal or viral infections that may cause these symptoms, although it could possibly be bacterial.

Basically the problem could be caused by a range of issues but pathology is not advanced enough in spiders to pin down the cause

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
fascinating!

And no problem for the link! I am glad you could get in touch! Now if only we could get the inured or deformed insects to them for study;
A bacterial infection or a miss match of elements such as titanium would by why some people would have success using iodine I suppose! I wil let those who are more knowledgeable chirp in on the subject.

Angelo2295

Arachnopeon
I think that this is bigger problem, but nobody before dissected this dead spider and didn't recognized what is inside because everything looks the same. I think you know many people in your country, try to do something to solve this problem, I will try to do something in Europe.

Today died my another poecilotheria (this time ornata). Symptom before dying was the same like by other spiders. She was building a nest for a kokon but since two weeks she was wandering around my terrarium. She died with abdomen full off eggs and there was lot of this black stuff inside. I puted them into alkohol. I will try to send this material to Malbourn or to dr Cooper.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Your spiders are systamaticly dying? that sounds most certianly like something that can be spread, contagion, or poison, something. Hopefuly other AB members will post in on this and tonight when I have a moment will write up a draft for a purpose sticky to join the DKS one up top.

Angelo2295

Arachnopeon
Hi!

About theyr dying I hope its only coincidence (I hope so) I recognized this in three of my spiders poecilotheria metallica (about 1,5 year ago) then in one spider of my friend (poecilotheria ornata) about one month before in my lampropelma violaceopes and now in ornata.

Sticking up top is good idea, we need to check how big this problem is

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for posting the video!

I'm sure I can speak for others as well as myself when I say we're quite interested in spider physiology and behavior. Really too bad most advanced books of such subjects are so expensive.