can macropanesthia rhinoceros be sexed ventrally?

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i.e. do females have the last two segments fused like in a wide number of other roaches?

thanks! :D
- munis

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Yes, the female has a big solid segment for the last one. The males have a TINY segment after the big one. If your not careful you could almost mistake them. If my husband hadnt stolen the camera for the day I would take a picture. Maybe Ill post one later :D

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
that would be awesome, cuz i was lookin' at mine and they were all looking the same so i was getting confused! :?

thanks! :D
- munis

Yes, the female has a big solid segment for the last one. The males have a TINY segment after the big one. If your not careful you could almost mistake them. If my husband hadnt stolen the camera for the day I would take a picture. Maybe Ill post one later :D

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Most of the roaches Ive seen you can see a BIG difference in that last segment. On the Rhinos its very small. The males last segment is SO tiny!! where the female has a big segment......the male has a big one, then a tiny one. If you didnt know what to look for... well. See for yourself. Male's on the right.

Last edited:

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
oh yeah, i can tell quite easily for archimandrita, blatta, baptica, blaberus, gromphadorhina, etc. i just wanted to make sure it was the same for macropanesthia (cuz it looks like i might have 4 males on my hands... :p)
anyways, thanks, i will dig'em up and check again!

cheers! :D
- munis

Look at the post from Carlos. This question on sexing roaches gets asked alot. Once you understand how to sex one specie, you can easily sex all of them.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=70090&highlight=sexing+roach