can desert 2i slings get mycosis?

drummindan2007

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I was recently talking to someone about 2i V. Spinigerus and C. Sculps (we both have them) and he told me that he puts his on semi moist sand/peat (to raise humidity) until they are older so that they can molt easier. I know that alot of 2i slings need the moisture/humidity to make the molting process easier, but does that rule apply to desert type species?

Would it be a good idea to mist the substarte I am currently keeping mine on, (50/50 sand peat) or since they are from the desert areas, they adapted to molting without humidity/moisture, and misting them would increase the chances of them getting mycosis?

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is true that a slightly higher humidity will help with molting. I mist most of my AZ desert species's substrate every few weeks. The ones you speak of are local species here and I have never seen any mycosis. I think that it is possible but only if you kept it at a high RH like 60-80. V. spinigerus spend most of their time under rocks where the humidity is higher.

I usually raise the humidity a little when I see a scorp is close to molting. A week of high humidity should not cause mycosis to develop. It does rain here in Arizona despite rumor. {D For my 2i C. sculpturatus I usually mist one corner ever week. This provides a little humidity and a water source. I keep mine on plain sand. But your setup is fine.