Can all millipede species be housed together?

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
Are there any millipede species that cannot be housed with any other? Are there any with differing care conditions from the others?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
With 10,000+ species, and counting, you are virtually guaranteed of having some that will not live together. Some have very general care requirements & some very specific. Some have never been kept at all.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
What about African giant black millipedes? Can they be housed along with Narceus americanus, ivory millipedes, bumblebee millipedes and scarlet millipedes?

satchellwk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would suspect that there would be no issues with their temperments (or lack thereof) or care requirements. However, I would be a bit weary with housing an expensive pede like an AGB with a bunch of pedes from another continent, for there is a possibility that the other pedes could be carrying a virus or bacterium that they are perfectly immune to, but could be disasterous for the AGB. But, as for the pedes themselves, I doubt they would mind being housed together; they might even like the company.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
Hmmmmmm. Does anyone else think this would be an issue? What if I used captive-bred 'pedes?

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you do decide to go for, then please let us know the outcome of your communal millies.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
I'm definatly going to try, but I want to know if it would be good to add an AGB. As I said, would there be no/very little risk of disease that they aren't immune to if I used captive-bred?

Edit: Well maybe not definately, but probably.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
I emailed the guy who ruins BugsinCyberspace about this and this was his response:
I personally don't buy into the hype about disease transmission between
different species for, but not limited to, the following reasons:

1. different species aren't necessarily susceptible to the same contagions
2. if the WC animal is healthy, there is no reason to assume it is carrying
something that will affect an animal from the other side of the planet
3. your African millipede has already been exposed to a huge variety of
exotic US organisms
4. I have never once been able to confirm an instance of the very fear you
are proposing in any of my animals. I read about it a lot, but my
experiences show the fear to be common, but the legitimacy to be more than
questionable.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
Again, anyone else have an opinion on this? Right now I think to be safe I will just keep the AGBM separate from the American species if I get them.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had tried to keep all the species of African millipedes that I had gottn together, it never worked the scecretions the exude seem to effect the others badly.
I don't think it's a good idea unless they live together naturally.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had tried to keep all the species of African millipedes that I had gottn together, it never worked the scecretions the exude seem to effect the others badly.
I don't think it's a good idea unless they live together naturally.
when you say badly, what do you mean? what are the negative effect? did anyone die?

robynantmeme

Arachnopeon
Would size not be an issue? Could the agb not crush the others by accident? Asking because i too want to house a giant with mine