Calisoga sp/False tarantula care

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
What's care like for these guys? I just found out about them and I've absolutely got to have them; I cannot resist their metallic colors. I assume that they're a trapdoor species? Also, how common are they and are they readily available?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@Philth might be able to answer some as well.

Just be warned though that Calisoga sp. are some of the most sought after non-tarantula mygalomorphs within the US, and if you do find some place selling them you might have to fight your way through a crowd composed of me, @TrapdoorSpiderLover, @RezonantVoid (he wishes ;)) and about every other enthusiast who has ever laid eyes on these beauts...
Good luck in your search!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Last edited:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Way too much...I haven't seen them for sale anywhere in a while, so probably into the triple-digits if the seller knows how to market them.
Otherwise I don't have much of an idea cost-wise.

I love the quote in your signature by the way :D.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Last edited:

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Way too much...I haven't seen them for sale anywhere in a while, so probably into the triple-digits if the seller knows how to market them.
Otherwise I don't have much of an idea cost-wise.

I love the quote in your signature by the way :D.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Triple digits?! That’s a bit too much...I’ll see though, I’ll try and look around to see if someone has any available. Considering how common they are in California I’m surprised that not many people keep them as pets. Also thanks, I unfortunately had to find out from first hand experience.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Yeah, I know. However, if you find someone who is not looking for the money (like a hobbyist selling off their collection) you might be able to get a good deal. But like I said, since they are so rare (and not necessarily very common from what I've seen actually) they will fetch a high price. @Smokehound714 can probably give you a more accurate price range.

Really any non-tarantula mygalomorph will cost more in terms of price as opposed to a widely-bred tarantula species. Keeping these is a niche hobby within a niche hobby, and supply is still very much below demand.

I hope it wasn't something particularly, hmm, "challenging". Were you able to get it back alright?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I’ve heard that they have a pretty wide distribution in CA. Maybe they’re still relatively difficult to find. Hopefully I can find someone who’s willing to let go of s couple individuals for s cheaper price.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I’ve never found any and I go looking around quite a bit. I’ve also never found trapdoor spiders.

Someone was selling one recently. I recall it was $70 or so.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Triple digits?! That’s a bit too much...
Unfortunately, that's the way things work with rarer species of Nemesiidae and Barychelidae. Closest thing I have is Idiommata Sp. Silverback, and I'd definitely be paying triple digits if another popped up for sale. If Xamiatus Magnificus somehow arose for sale, I'd be paying over $200AUD

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Not that wide, at least not in SoCal.

I've found trapdoors though, they are pretty easy once you know what to look for. The most common specie around here also likes to build its burrows along the walls of gullies, small cliffs, and ditches, so you can see a noticeable protrusion oftentimes. I once tricked one into thinking a piece of grass was a meal; it was out for all of 0.5 seconds :D.

And don't even get me started on Australian species ;).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Not that wide, at least not in SoCal.

I've found trapdoors though, they are pretty easy once you know what to look for. The most common specie around here also likes to build its burrows along the walls of gullies, small cliffs, and ditches, so you can see a noticeable protrusion oftentimes. I once tricked one into thinking a piece of grass was a meal; it was out for all of 0.5 seconds :D.

And don't even get me started on Australian species ;).

Thanks,

Arthroverts
This is something only people like you and me understand, it's impossible to describe to a pinpoint what to look for but once you actually find a trapdoor you start finding them everywhere :rofl:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
This is something only people like you and me understand, it's impossible to describe to a pinpoint what to look for but once you actually find a trapdoor you start finding them everywhere :rofl:
Yes. My friend was telling me about how to find them but he couldn't tell me exactly what to look for. So one day I got lucky and saw the classic circle shape of the lid slightly open; and then they were everywhere.
So @mantisfan101, if someone offers to take you trapdoor spider hunting, take them up on it. You won't regret it :D.

@NYAN, where did you see a Calisoga for sale??

Thanks,

Arthroverts

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Yes. My friend was telling me about how to find them but he couldn't tell me exactly what to look for. So one day I got lucky and saw the classic circle shape of the lid slightly open; and then they were everywhere.
So @mantisfan101, if someone offers to take you trapdoor spider hunting, take them up on it. You won't regret it :D.

@NYAN, where did you see a Calisoga for sale??

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Nice! Did you happen to keep any on you by any chance?

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Wow I fiund someone sling one on eBay of all places but my God, $250 for just one spider...

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Wow I fiund someone sling one on eBay of all places but my God, $250 for just one spider...
Is the species named and do they have any photos of an adult? If it's indeed genuine, it might actually be worth it despite the $

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
They got the photos and yup it’s the one. The price knocked me flat, I’m gonna admit as much as I love them I’m not that willing to pay that much for just one...geez, I was not expecting that

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I guess it's more expensive than $250AUD, but yea lol I'd still fork it out if it were me buying. I'd readily charge that much for a female M.Occatoria if I had some spares, let alone a species that looks like it's been dipped in chrome. I've seen how beautiful these are as adults, but maybe you can try reasoning the price down a bit since it's only a sling

Last edited:

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Maybe but the photos shown were all adult females or large juveniles/subadults. I think I’ll wait till someone manages to breed them or offer some slings. Anyways, I’m still a broke teenager so as much as I’d like it, I don’t think my parents would agree with me buying a $250 spider

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I hate to tell you I told you so, but...yeah, the prices are outrageous. I for one have trouble dropping that on any invert for the most part, and definitely not that much for a sling. How big was it though? Are we talking minuscule 1/8" sling or a good sized 3/4" sling?

Thanks,

Arthroverts