C. Lividus picky, or problem coming?

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
This one has been tossing whole prey in the water dish lately, maybe 2 months. Insane feed response, always hungry, not growing much. These always look small to me though. Think I'm worrying for nothing as usual?
20230902_045251.jpg

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Could be nothing, but could be an issue. Hard to say. Try a different type if feeder. What have you been offering?

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Could be nothing, but could be an issue. Hard to say. Try a different type if feeder. What have you been offering?
Mostly runners, some dubia, I think it's been all runners in the dish. I did give it a pre-killed dubia set in the burrow entrance a couple of days ago, and haven't seen it. I hadn't seen the abdomen lately so I wanted to make sure it got it. I'll tong feed it a live one today and see if it tosses that.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
It did snatch that dubia up earlier, so maybe it's just been consuming dubia and doesn't want runners right now. Still no evidence of the other one either.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
It did snatch that dubia up earlier, so maybe it's just been consuming dubia and doesn't want runners right now. Still no evidence of the other one either.
Weird I don’t understand why it would refuse a runner and eat dubia. Maybe it only likes larger prey items ??
Strange 🔮

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Weird I don’t understand why it would refuse a runner and eat dubia. Maybe it only likes larger prey items ??
Strange 🔮
I've never seen a discussion about it, but the runners secrete something sticky and probably quite gross in defense. I've seen several spiders be apprehensive, set them down and get them later, stop to clean themselves right after killing it, etc. Maybe it's just sick of them too, it's all it's ever eaten until recently.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You could always just grab some crickets from a pet shop to try.
That seems to get some picky eaters to start eating again, then you can go back to roaches later

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I think it grew, didn't toss any dubia out and abdomen looks the width of carapace now. Not sure what it did with the boluses, but I guess the water dish is reserved for rejects. I moved the water dish before just to see if it was that corner, it found the dish anyhow of course 😂 I'll feed it again, time wise it ought to be preparing to molt. Thanks
20230903_073554.jpg