Is Breeding/Selling Lactrodectus legal in Florida?

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I realize this question had probably been asked before here, but I am having one heck of a time finding any recent credible resources. So, are lactrodectus species legal to sell and ship in Florida? I would imagine not, but is there a special permit one would need to apply for before selling any? Seriously, I can't seem to find a clear cut answer on this to save my life, and what few threads/articles I have found are from several years back.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I regularly ship Latrodectus species to Florida, as far as I am aware there are no issues with them coming in ( I hope I'm not wrong about that ). But I don't know about coming out of Florida. Florida in particular is fairly strict, I'll see what I can find out and I'll report back.

While this doesn't specify Latrodectus it does list extremely venomous spiders as prohibited? But it specifically mentions sicaridae so maybe Latrodectus isn't included in that? Either way it looks like you may need a permit to have them but I can't find anything directly related to shipping out.

Last edited:

NYAN

Arachnoking
I regularly ship Latrodectus species to Florida, as far as I am aware there are no issues with them coming in ( I hope I'm not wrong about that ). But I don't know about coming out of Florida. Florida in particular is fairly strict, I'll see what I can find out and I'll report back.

While this doesn't specify Latrodectus it does list extremely venomous spiders as prohibited? But it specifically mentions sicaridae so maybe Latrodectus isn't included in that? Either way it looks like you may need a permit to have them but I can't find anything directly related to shipping out.
This is news to me. I’m guessing this is a new development? I remember in the past florida only really restricted species that can be destructive to agriculture or become invasive.