breeding and selling to local pet stores.

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
okay so if this isnt in the right place then please correct me! but anyways, i was searching online and seriously cannot find anything! so i figured id come her and ask. do you need a certain license that is needed to be able to sell tarantulas to a pet store? any help will be appreciated!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
No. But most pet stores only want adults or subadults, and aren't interested in slings. They have enough trouble maintaining adults properly.

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you do end up selling any tarantulas to any pet shops, it's always a great opportunity to educate them on correct care for tarantulas. If they learn the correct care requirements, then that will trickle down to the average Joe who walks in and buys one. I enjoy helping new T owners and love seeing people get into the hobby. Try to make a positive impact and spread the knowledge whenever you can.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
If you do end up selling any tarantulas to any pet shops, it's always a great opportunity to educate them on correct care for tarantulas. If they learn the correct care requirements, then that will trickle down to the average Joe who walks in and buys one. I enjoy helping new T owners and love seeing people get into the hobby. Try to make a positive impact and spread the knowledge whenever you can.
The only problem is, many pet stores will ignore care requirements to make a sale. Say, for example, you sell them an obligate burrower such as an Ephebopus species. If they provide an appropriate environment for the specimen, it will burrow and never be seen. Animals that aren't seen, aren't sold, and at the end of the day the sale is all they care about. It's unfortunate, but it's a fact.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Depends on your state laws. You're in Florida. You need a license to sell *any* animal in Florida.

Oumriel

Arachnosquire
You would be better off selling to wholesalers than pet stores. A wholesalers will take large lots for distribution to pet stores while the pet store isn't going to buy 20 slings from you to sell. They will more likely buy 2. Breeding and selling anything is never profitable in the long run.

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
Depends on your state laws. You're in Florida. You need a license to sell *any* animal in Florida.
do you have any idea exactly where I could get this license at?

---------- Post added 10-19-2014 at 06:32 AM ----------

You would be better off selling to wholesalers than pet stores. A wholesalers will take large lots for distribution to pet stores while the pet store isn't going to buy 20 slings from you to sell. They will more likely buy 2. Breeding and selling anything is never profitable in the long run.
yeah but finding the wholesalers would then be a problem. I just want to know the proper licenses that I would need to sell exotic animals in the state of florida.

---------- Post added 10-19-2014 at 06:36 AM ----------

The only problem is, many pet stores will ignore care requirements to make a sale. Say, for example, you sell them an obligate burrower such as an Ephebopus species. If they provide an appropriate environment for the specimen, it will burrow and never be seen. Animals that aren't seen, aren't sold, and at the end of the day the sale is all they care about. It's unfortunate, but it's a fact.
well I think your thinking of more corporate pets stores such as petco or petsmart. if you go to local exotic pet stores, especially in my area, they are usually decently knowlegable about what they are selling. the one I buy my Ts from has a section strictly for Ts and the lady that answers questions for that section of the store owns 12 Ts herself and seems to know a lot. it all depends on where you go!

gobey

Arachnoknight
Petsmart probably isn't going to buy a tarantula from you anyways

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Petsmart probably isn't going to buy a tarantula from you anyways
Slings are difficult to sell in retail stores. How many people are going to spend $50-$100 on a little spider in a vial? Not your average walk-in customer, and they're not going to get any meaningful care info from the staff. How much local traffic is a pet store going to get, that they'd have any chance of selling slings? This is an online hobby, which is how almost everybody sells/trades theirs, whether collector or dealer. Spider people are spread out all over the place. To have any chance of selling slings to walk-in customers, you'd have to be in or near a good-sized metropolitan area.

I breed a lot of spiders, but almost all of the slings go to dealers out of state.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Slings are difficult to sell in retail stores. How many people are going to spend $50-$100 on a little spider in a vial? Not your average walk-in customer, and they're not going to get any meaningful care info from the staff. How much local traffic is a pet store going to get, that they'd have any chance of selling slings? This is an online hobby, which is how almost everybody sells/trades theirs, whether collector or dealer. Spider people are spread out all over the place. To have any chance of selling slings to walk-in customers, you'd have to be in or near a good-sized metropolitan area.

I breed a lot of spiders, but almost all of the slings go to dealers out of state.
My friend partially own and manages a local pet store. It's 2nd location ordered 2 LP slings. They're an inch. Selling for $45 each. Good luck I thought. I bought my 2 at 4" for $30 each.

My friend still charges pet store prices. But there's a reason he looks for adults and juveniles like Poec said. Or he waits until his own are that big to put up for sale.

But I've sworn off pet shops forever. My next acquisitions I'm looking to be trades all later when my babies grow.

My breeding project slings will be sold to members and dealers if they take them. No pet shop will want 1/8" slow growing semi dwarf T slings.

cold blood

Staff member
yeah but finding the wholesalers would then be a problem.
Not really, every single online dealer is basically a wholesale buyer, its how they stay in business and maintain their levels of stock...they aren't breeding every single spider they have, they are receiving most from breeders looking to wholesale large quantities.;)

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
Not really, every single online dealer is basically a wholesale buyer, its how they stay in business and maintain their levels of stock...they aren't breeding every single spider they have, they are receiving most from breeders looking to wholesale large quantities.;)
okay, so then my new question would be, what license do I need and where would I get it? that would alow me to sell tarantulas to people around the country from the state of florida?

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
do you have any idea exactly where I could get this license at?

yeah but finding the wholesalers would then be a problem. I just want to know the proper licenses that I would need to sell exotic animals in the state of florida.
Florida Fish and Wildlife. It is a Class III Sellers License, and it costs $50 a year. It is why you normally see a "rehoming" fee rather than a for sale price for animals here. And calling it "rehoming fee" won't save you if they catch you.

---------- Post added 10-19-2014 at 10:20 AM ----------

http://m.myfwc.com/license/captive-wildlife/

that will get you started on where to look and what to fill out.