Brachypelma Hamorii vs Smithi

onlyTs

Arachnopeon
Hello I just wanted to know something. Everybody posts Hamorris as Smithis and I just want to know why? Aren’t smithis a completely different species but same genus?

UtilityTurkey

Arachnopeon
I wondered the same thing. I follow a Youtuber that says they are different species but when I go to my reputable vendor they say Hamorii is "formerly B. Smithi".

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Hello I just wanted to know something. Everybody posts Hamorris as Smithis and I just want to know why? Aren’t smithis a completely different species but same genus?
Those who do that just don't know any better or just don't care. Brachypelma smithi and B. hamorii are indeed two different species.

I wondered the same thing. I follow a Youtuber that says they are different species but when I go to my reputable vendor they say Hamorii is "formerly B. Smithi".
Your reputable vendor, as you put it, is referring to the misidentification of B. hamorii as B. smithi in the pet trade that was the norm until the 'red-knee' Brachypelma species of Mexico was revised in 2017 and cleared it up. Before the 'red-knee' Brachypelma species were redescribed, everyone had B. hamorii listed on their price lists as B. smithi. That was a simple case of no one knowing any better.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
It's simple
Previous names vs actual names:

B. Annitha is now B. Smithi
B. Smithi in now B. Hamorii

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
The species that was sold in the hobby as B. smithi prior to the 2017 revision turned out to be misidentified B. hamorii.
The species that was sold as B. annitha prior to the 2017 revision is the real B. smithi.

hamorii vs smithi.jpg

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
We can't generalize this issue, not ALL B. hamorii was sold as B. smithi, nor became B. smithi taxonomically.

B. hamorii is a described species since 1997, if I remember correctly, and mostly of them were sold in the hobby as B. smithi. However, there were true B. smithi in the hobby too.

When we say "B. hamorii is now B. smithi" we are implying that one became another.

B. annitha is the species that was synoymized with B. smithi.