Brachypelma boehmei - Immature Male “Mexico Import “

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
67CA97A1-3118-45E6-B7E6-7EA77A8E49FF.jpeg 879BCC8C-3C39-4034-979E-EF3CE2ED8832.jpeg 04BE61F8-6D61-49E8-96C6-D8F7BD163EF7.jpeg Hello! If some of you guys have a 2.5” inch boehmei please post photos of it. Please stick with that size no bigger or smaller than 2.5” inches. I just want to compare yours with mine since mine was exported from Mexico. Want to see some of this long term hobby boehmei how much of a difference there is between some of these variant boehmei’s etc. at this size.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Nice! ;) I didn't know the carapace can be that dark for a boehmei

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Let me go through my baby pictures...hmmm. 2.25 inch is the closest I've got. The next molt went over 3 inches. Maybe someone has one that's exactly 2.5 out there, dunno. Hope this helps a little anyway:

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm… It's been a while since mine was 2.5", but I definitely remember that her carapace wasn't dark like that. It actually ressemble The Grym Reaper's specimen. Unfortunately, I no longer have those pictures when mine was younger. Still, it's fascinating how much color variation you can find in certain species, such as the slight differences between the Colima and Guerrero forms of B. hamorii.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This specimen was exported from Mexico the person who was selling this slings is Jorge Mendoza “taxonomist”.

In the last two days I have been speaking/chatting with a couple of people Stuart & Emmanuel about different variants boehmei that are in the wild. Basically this new boehmei that I have is not the same long term hobby boehmei that’s been in the hobby for years, at least that’s what it seems like at this point. That’s what I’m seeing so far anyways.

I know there has been a couple of vendors that have imported boehmei within the last year or so from sellers in Mexico. I don’t know if the boehmei that I own will be the same variant boehmei that were imported last year.

Folks, in the past I’ve only been familiar with one variant of Brachypelma boehmei, and familiar with hybrids between baumgarteni x boehmei’s. That being said because of the variants that may have surfaced in the hobby in the past, the hardest things that is gonna happened or it already happened is properly iding a true boehmei from hybrids. Those of you who have Brachypelma boehmei if it’s a female check the spermathecae carefully make sure that it’s not deform, and that matches a true boehmei spermathecae. With males that’s gonna be a tough one. In hybrids specimens I’ve seen spermathecae that either deform or closely resembles baumgarteni or boehmei, but the appearances of the specimen are completely different.

I hope I’m making some sense...Continuing.

My only boehmei that I have as a young juvenile that was exported from Mexico is a bit feisty. He started walking like a Megaphobema and striked at me a few times. When I photographed him he was in a threat posture. I never had a boehmei behaved this way.

I know that Anastasia Haroldsen recently imported boehmei from Mexico. Maybe the ones she imported are of a different variant as well. Basically what I feel needs to happen is people who are purchasing boehmei from sellers these days should know the whereabouts of where the boehmei are originating from.

Definitely I’ll be posting photos of this male when he molts each time. It will be cool to see his progress and changes through his life. His previous molts he did not have much color so I didn’t bother taking photos of him. Now that he has colors I’ll be documenting his molt cycles.

Maybe Stuart Longhorn, Emmanuel Goyer or Andrew Smith want to add a bit about this variants that are in the wild.

Interesting stuff!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
My only boehmei that I have as a young juvenile that was exported from Mexico is a bit feisty. He started walking like a Megaphobema and striked at me a few times. When I photographed him he was in a threat posture. I never had a boehmei behaved this way.
Mine threw up a half arsed threat posture when I tried to position her to get a rough measurement today, never seen her do that before, usually she's just flighty

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine threw up a half arsed threat posture when I tried to position her to get a rough measurement today, never seen her do that before, usually she's just flighty
You should try to find out the origins of your boehmei and possibly if there is any photos available of the parents.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
Basically what I feel needs to happen is people who are purchasing boehmei from sellers these days should know the whereabouts of where the boehmei are originating from.

This should be something everyone does for every purchased T. Is this not practiced? I’ve also consulted with a potential seller and they wouldn’t give me any info on where the Ts lineage is from and that they were from his respected friends who don’t want their name out there....BS. Anyhow, not to jump down another rabbit hole. Just something that has baffled me since I’ve come into the T world that isn’t done or taken more seriously it seems.

Awesome info! Thanks for sharing and I look forward to hearing/seeing more!

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This should be something everyone does for every purchased T. Is this not practiced? I’ve also consulted with a potential seller and they wouldn’t give me any info on where the Ts lineage is from and that they were from his respected friends who don’t want their name out there....BS. Anyhow, not to jump down another rabbit hole. Just something that has baffled me since I’ve come into the T world that isn’t done or taken more seriously it seems.

Awesome info! Thanks for sharing and I look forward to hearing/seeing more!
The majority of sellers either don’t know where some of their stock comes from or they’re not willing to share that information with you. Bottom line though is always try. For me nowadays if a seller is not willing to share that information than I just simply don’t purchase from them. I hardly buy tarantulas anymore for that reason. I think is bs that sellers keep things secretly, is not like the spiders are made out of gold.
Because of hybrids of this species I have been very cautious about who I purchase from these days.

Even legit sellers sell hybrids without them knowing they’re hybrids.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
The majority of sellers either don’t know where some of their stock comes from or they’re not willing to share that information with you. Bottom line though is always try. For me nowadays if a seller is not willing to share that information than I just simply don’t purchase from them. I hardly buy tarantulas anymore for that reason. I think is bs that sellers keep things secretly, is not like the spiders are made out of gold.
Because of hybrids of this species I have been very cautious about who I purchase from these days.

Even legit sellers sell hybrids without them knowing they’re hybrids.

Agree 100%! I obviously didn’t buy from the seller. Further questioning showed they didn’t know what they were talking about in general.

This was/is a huge thing in reptile breeding as well. I always knew my lineage as far back as I could get it.

Breeding animals to their siblings or family lines (inbreeding) will eventually cause major issues. It amazes me that it hasn’t already. Being that everyone wants to breed for all the wrong reasons and when they do, they have no clue about their lineages. One day it will catch up.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
You should try to find out the origins of your boehmei and possibly if there is any photos available of the parents.
The seller has since shut up shop so no chance of that (I got her as a sling back in July 2017), I don't plan on breeding her and I wouldn't sell her to anyone wanting to use her for a breeding project for that reason.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
For me nowadays if a seller is not willing to share that information than I just simply don’t purchase from them. I hardly buy tarantulas anymore for that reason.
Same for me. My collection is so much smaller than it was years ago. In addition to the majority of the Brachypelma species being sold these days, I'm still wondering where in South America the Theraphosa blondi that were imported into the USA a couple of years ago, and more recently, originally came from. Why are the males so much smaller than one would think for the largest tarantula species on the planet? Something isn't right with the majority of Brachypelma boehmei in the hobby and something isn't right with the Theraphosa blondi in the hobby either.

I can't find the origin of hardly any of the species being sold beyond the European country of export so I don't really care to buy any.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Same for me. My collection is so much smaller than it was years ago. In addition to the majority of the Brachypelma species being sold these days, I'm still wondering where in South America the Theraphosa blondi that were imported into the USA a couple of years ago, and more recently, originally came from. Why are the males so much smaller than one would think for the largest tarantula species on the planet? Something isn't right with the majority of Brachypelma boehmei in the hobby and something isn't right with the Theraphosa blondi in the hobby either.

I can't find the origin of hardly any of the species being sold beyond the European country of export so I don't really care to buy any.
Yeah that’s right the male blondi was ridiculously small of the one I had. I believe he matured within 2 years. Crazy!

I totally agree something is not right with some of this species that have been in the hobby for a long time.

Many ways I’m glad I got at least one boehmei that was exported through Mexico and that was sold by the taxonomist himself.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Yeah that’s right the male blondi was ridiculously small of the one I had. I believe he matured within 2 years. Crazy!

I totally agree something is not right with some of this species that have been in the hobby for a long time.

Many ways I’m glad I got at least one boehmei that was exported through Mexico and that was sold by the taxonomist himself.
Interesting, what size did he mature at?
I have a T. blondi male