Brachypelma albopilosum sling tips.

Michael Ortiz

Arachnopeon
Just picked up a B. Albopilosum sling. Just hoping for som tips on how I should keep my substrate, and other tips would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Slightly moist for slings, they can tolerate some dryness very well though, especially juvies and adults...they are quite the hardy spiders.

The setup should look something like this.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I like to provide options to the slings...moist substrate in one place, dry in another. They choose which they like to hang out on better.

Congrats on your first T! B. albopilosum is a fantastic starter.

Michael Ortiz

Arachnopeon
I like to provide options to the slings...moist substrate in one place, dry in another. They choose which they like to hang out on better.

Congrats on your first T! B. albopilosum is a fantastic starter.
It’s become the perfect hobby for me. I now have 3 T’s. A. Seemanni, G. Rosea, and now B. Albopilosum. I have wanted to have one of these animals ever since I seen home alone for the first time back in 1990. I take my care of these animals very seriously.... sorry about the small rant. Thanks for the reply.

Chelbelle

Arachnopeon
Slightly moist for slings, they can tolerate some dryness very well though, especially juvies and adults...they are quite the hardy spiders.

This is how I keep mine as well.

KyleR2202

Arachnopeon

Damn it’s soo black!... my B.albo sling is maybe a half inch now after a moult a few weeks ago and it’s still just a pale brown little thing. Patience is a virtue.

cold blood

Staff member
FWIW, literally all NW terrestrial slings should be kept basically the same (as already described by nightstalker). GBBs can be dried out faster than the rest.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Be prepared to send as-of-yet-unborn children off to college before that B. albo matures :p They are a wonderful species, but grow like molasses in winter. My Ts seem to grow slower than a lot of other folks' because of my cooler temperatures, but my B. albo sling has gained half an inch in the two years I have had it!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Be prepared to send as-of-yet-unborn children off to college before that B. albo matures :p They are a wonderful species, but grow like molasses in winter. My Ts seem to grow slower than a lot of other folks' because of my cooler temperatures, but my B. albo sling has gained half an inch in the two years I have had it!
Yeah, that's pretty slow compared to mine, I keep mine around 25°C.

I got my Honduran form as a 2" sexed female a little over 2 years ago and she's 4.5" now.

I got my Nicaraguan form as a 1/2" (a little under 1/2" actually) sling a year ago and she's about 2" now
View media item 47971

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Damn it’s soo black!... my B.albo sling is maybe a half inch now after a moult a few weeks ago and it’s still just a pale brown little thing. Patience is a virtue.
This was actually an A.seemani sling, the pics were to help with the setup.
Mine are kept at room temperature, which for me is usually 10°C to 22°C depending on the season.
That's dangerously cool man, as a general rule...you never want temps dropping below 65 degrees for long.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's dangerously cool man, as a general rule...you never want temps dropping below 65 degrees for long.
I don't know what you classify as "for long"... but the colder end of that spectrum are what temps can drop down to overnight when the weather is cooler. And it is actually warmer in the walk in closet that houses the majority of my collection than it is on the other side of the room (where the windows and fans are.) I also live in a place that doesn't get much of a winter... it gets down to maybe 30°F a few nights.

But if the weather is going to be too cold several days in a row, I'll provide artificial heat for the collection to get them back up to 65-70F... I just hate temps that warm myself.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I only keep the room I house mine in at 25°C because if it gets any hotter than that I turn into a gigantic sweating ball of rage but I've never had temps drop below 18°C in the room (even during power cuts in winter).

cold blood

Staff member
IME B. albos are among the faster growing Brachys....mine has kept pace with an LP.