Blaptica Dubia housing questions

axle37

Arachnosquire
I have been doing research before i get my dubia colony going, i need to know what I'm doing for housing soon. I was thinking a large rubbermaid container with a screen top, paper egg crates leaned towards the center, with a food and water trough underneath. My only real concerns are:
1. Heat- i was going to use a heat pad bc i saw someone use that method successfully, but i saw someone else say that you shouldn't use the heat pads on any composite materials. Can i use the heat pad? any easy alternatives?
2. Air Circulation- Do I NEED to give good cross ventilation (i.e. vents on the sides instead of just the top)
3. Water- i was going to buy a bulk quantity of un-saturated/unhydrated water gel things, but can't really find them anywhere in town, and unfortunately, online shopping isn't an option.
Thanks in advance for all replies

ScarecrowGirl

Arachnosquire
For the water gels try craft stores, I just have mine in a medium rubbermaid and they are doing swell. I dont even use a heat pad and they are going pretty strong, but if you keep them near a computer or some thing that gives off warmth they wont mind. Mine live under the desk with the computer tower most of the time.
The only ventilation mine have are the holes in the top, there are a lot of holes but I dont have any thing for cross ventilation. I might poke a few holes along the side now that you mention it though.
I didn't do any research on these guys before i get them, I find running head long into these things works out pretty well for myself personally lol, well for bugs at least, fish haven't been so lucky... Have fun with your roaches!

axle37

Arachnosquire
For the water gels try craft stores, I just have mine in a medium rubbermaid and they are doing swell. I dont even use a heat pad and they are going pretty strong, but if you keep them near a computer or some thing that gives off warmth they wont mind. Mine live under the desk with the computer tower most of the time.
The only ventilation mine have are the holes in the top, there are a lot of holes but I dont have any thing for cross ventilation. I might poke a few holes along the side now that you mention it though.
I didn't do any research on these guys before i get them, I find running head long into these things works out pretty well for myself personally lol, well for bugs at least, fish haven't been so lucky... Have fun with your roaches!
thanx! and ya lol thats how i got started on the hobby. saw a p. imp. for 16 box and thought, jesus, a scorpion . . . for 16 bux. thats incredible. went home with it. as for "poking" holes in the side, be careful the nymphs don't get out, roaches can squish themselves to fit through pretty small openings.

ScarecrowGirl

Arachnosquire
thanx! and ya lol thats how i got started on the hobby. saw a p. imp. for 16 box and thought, jesus, a scorpion . . . for 16 bux. thats incredible. went home with it. as for "poking" holes in the side, be careful the nymphs don't get out, roaches can squish themselves to fit through pretty small openings.
Yeah, that's why I'm hesitant to put holes in the sides. My first set up resulted in a lot of escapes, this one now hasn't had an escape yet. The best escape was when me man draped his jacket over the chair the box was sitting on, the cat had messes with the lid so the roaches could climb on to the mesh top I had at the time(it was short so they could reach the top). I was in tears laughing when a roach fell out of his sleeve after he put his jacket back on and then a few more fell out and he squealed flung off the jacket at record speed. Found 5 total in the jacket.

axle37

Arachnosquire
thats hilarious! was the height the only prob w the first one? im trying to avoid noob mistakes. if i get caught w the critters i have in my apt, i get kicked out, a fine, and possibly other stuff so i gotta have a no escappee type situation. guna have a layer of vasoline near the top.

ScarecrowGirl

Arachnosquire
thats hilarious! was the height the only prob w the first one? im trying to avoid noob mistakes. if i get caught w the critters i have in my apt, i get kicked out, a fine, and possibly other stuff so i gotta have a no escappee type situation. guna have a layer of vasoline near the top.
Yeah mine was much too short, now its nice and tall so they cant reach the lid any more

shebeen

Arachnobaron
Here's what I use for my cricket colony. I'm sure the bottom tub will work for roaches as well. I plan to use one for a Dubia colony I'll be starting up. I keep this setup in my garage. For heat, I use an adjustable heating pad placed on top of the tub. In the winter, I wrap the whole setup in one of those cheap throwaway Mylar survival blankets. They do a great job of retaining the heat.

This is what I used originally for providing water. It worked, but soon became nasty and required weekly cleaning. I have since switched to water gel crystals which are more sanitary and less maintenance. If you can't find the water crystals at a craft store, you might try a garden center. They're often used for watering plants.

shebeen

Arachnobaron
I use to buy them too, but I was spending more money on gas driving to the LPS than I was on crickets.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
People keep talking about water crystals. You don't need them. Just feed fruits and veggies regularly and they'll get moisture from that.

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
People keep talking about water crystals. You don't need them. Just feed fruits and veggies regularly and they'll get moisture from that.
+1
The only time I use water crystals is if I am feeding only dry food. (when I am too busy to get to the store) Other than that it is not needed as stated above. Also to avoid escapes use screen mesh over the ventilation holes and put a strip of clear packing tape around the inside of the tub near the top. Even the small nymphs can't get past it.

axle37

Arachnosquire
+1
The only time I use water crystals is if I am feeding only dry food. (when I am too busy to get to the store) Other than that it is not needed as stated above. Also to avoid escapes use screen mesh over the ventilation holes and put a strip of clear packing tape around the inside of the tub near the top. Even the small nymphs can't get past it.
thanks! i won't even worry about the crystals now.