Best heating options?

luuk

Arachnopeon
What does everyone think is the best way to heat the scorpion enclosure for a AFS? I am planning to upgrade to a bigger enclosure and am not entirely sure what the best way would be to heat the enclosure.

I previously had a heating mat to the side which seemed to work well too but in the winter room temp still gets fairly cold like 15C and I noticed the scorpion get a lot more inactive. Another option is a heating lamp which will cause the humidity to fall quicker but it might be more natural to them?

I am open for any suggestions and am just curious to what the best options would be. Thanks in advance😄

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
What does everyone think is the best way to heat the scorpion enclosure for a AFS? I am planning to upgrade to a bigger enclosure and am not entirely sure what the best way would be to heat the enclosure.

I previously had a heating mat to the side which seemed to work well too but in the winter room temp still gets fairly cold like 15C and I noticed the scorpion get a lot more inactive. Another option is a heating lamp which will cause the humidity to fall quicker but it might be more natural to them?

I am open for any suggestions and am just curious to what the best options would be. Thanks in advance😄
Heat lamp with thermostat 24c - 30c keep a deep 100% moist substrate 10cm to 15 cm (clumpy not drippy). You can restrict 50%-75% of the ventilation if it makes you feel better. Do not bother misting pour water directly into the substrate. Also, add moss and a proper sized drown proof waterdish. You will be surprised at how much humidity the substrate provides with proper depth and level of moisture.

luuk

Arachnopeon
Thank you for advice i have been considering a lamp more and more but will have to look into the once availabe a bit more and make the propper choice.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Thank you for advice i have been considering a lamp more and more but will have to look into the once availabe a bit more and make the propper choice.
CHE requires pulse proportional thermostat

Basking lamps requires dimming thermostat

😉👍

luuk

Arachnopeon
CHE requires pulse proportional thermostat

Basking lamps requires dimming thermostat

😉👍
Thank you, I wasn’t aware of that yet. I have seen that exo terra also has some daytime lamps and nighttime once which might look nice and simulate their real environment well.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Thank you, I wasn’t aware of that yet. I have seen that exo terra also has some daytime lamps and nighttime once which might look nice and simulate their real environment well.
Only use ceramic heat emitters or heat mats at night, as these don't emit light.
The ones advertised as 'night lights' still emit light (usually blue) and as such, will interfere with the day-night cycle.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Scorpion do not "see" neither disturbed by the red spectrum. Use only red light bulbs if you go with basking lamps. They are completely safe and my scorpions often bask beneath them even during afternoons creating an excellent display without any disturbances. Scorpions are a negative phototaxis species they avoid light neither do they require any light.

Last edited:

luuk

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for your help. I still have to see exactly what I will do but your advice has been very helpful. Are there any compact tops available that will allow me to put a heating lamp or will it most likely just have to stand ontop?

Sir Aculeus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you all for your help. I still have to see exactly what I will do but your advice has been very helpful. Are there any compact tops available that will allow me to put a heating lamp or will it most likely just have to stand ontop?
You can also make your own top with some popper metal mesh and bend the edges to create a lid as well as add rigidity. With Emps and H. Spinifer make sure to have occasional ventilation days to prevent mold outbreaks.

Just an example of some stainless steel mesh: https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Se...1689834893&sprefix=metal+mesh,aps,102&sr=8-10
And ceramic heat lamp with thermostat: https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Delux...9834774&sprefix=ceramic+heat+l,aps,102&sr=8-6