Beech bark

Coradams

Arachnoknight
Our beech tree died and huge slabs of bark are falling off of it. It seems a shame to throw them on the burn pile. Would you think I could use them for hides?

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I would put the parts in the boiler room or a similarly warm and dry place for several months and then use them ...
I am careful not to bring anything in. Others are likely using the parts as they are...

Coradams

Arachnoknight
I would put the parts in the boiler room or a similarly warm and dry place for several months and then use them
I don't have anywhere like that in which I could dry them. I was thinking of baking them in the oven.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
That is also ok, but I would not go over 80 degrees (Celsius) for 30 min or more.
Then I would wait some weeks, because there will be still moisture inside...

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
I am careful not to bring anything in. Others are likely using the parts as they are...
I'm the kind of person to "sterilize" store-bought cork bark in the oven. lol

I'm not so much worried about bacteria - just paranoid that a hitchhiker might eat my small slings or something.
The piles of dry cork in the stores just seem like a great place for bugs to settle down in and I'm sure they have common pests and feeder insects get in them from time to time.

SpiderLadyLyle

Arachnopeon
If you dry the pieces out in the oven, and wait some time, then maybe do it again just to make sure hitch hikers and moisture have been removed, then the beech bark should work lovely. I tend to bake things twice when sterilizing, just out of paranoia.

thomlennon

Arachnopeon
If you dry the pieces out in the oven, and wait some time, then maybe do it again just to make sure hitch hikers and moisture have been removed, then the beech bark should work lovely. I tend to bake things twice when sterilizing, just out of paranoia.
I bought a cork round from Petco once and when I got home and snapped it in half a house gecko came skittering out. Two hours, lots of swearing and a nerf gun later we had a new friend

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Beech might be susceptible to molding in a moist enclosure. I guess in a dry one, it would work just fine. Like any non-conifer would.