ball python temperature

Gen

Arachnopeon
so I'm getting a ball python this Saturday and I have everything set up, but I was wondering where I should put the probe got the thermometer. outside the hide is sitting at around 95 and the inside is at 84 to 86. So I'm just wondering if the inside or outside the cave should be at 95 for a ball python?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
so I'm getting a ball python this Saturday and I have everything set up, but I was wondering where I should put the probe got the thermometer. outside the hide is sitting at around 95 and the inside is at 84 to 86. So I'm just wondering if the inside or outside the cave should be at 95 for a ball python?
The probe should always go by the heat source, if not your mat could be too hot because it is trying to heat the whole tank.

What kind of heating setup are you running? Thermostat? Heat mat?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a thermostat that's connected to a heat lamp
A snake gets its warmth for digestion from below, ie belly heat. You'd be better better off with a UTH, OR a radiant heat panel, than a lamp.

I've been keeping balls for decades, they are easy.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A snake gets its warmth for digestion from below, ie belly heat. You'd be better better off with a UTH, OR a radiant heat panel, than a lamp.

I've been keeping balls for decades, they are easy.
The last sentence!!! :angelic::angelic::smug:

Wyoguy069

Arachnopeon
Mine has done very well with warm side temps of 85-90 and cool side temps of 75-80. I use a radiant panel, uth, and a ceramic emitter. My house can get cold. They are all on light dimmers.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mine has done very well with warm side temps of 85-90 and cool side temps of 75-80. I use a radiant panel, uth, and a ceramic emitter. My house can get cold. They are all on light dimmers.
Curious, the need for a ceramic? You have UTH and radiant panel. Is it only for the winter?

Wyoguy069

Arachnopeon
I turn them down during the warmer months. Living in the mountains it is cool most of the time.