Baby ring necked snake care

Kaimetsu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
One of my wife's coworkers found a baby ring necked snake caught in a spider web and my wife ended up bringing it home from work with her. It's probably the smallest snake I've ever seen barely 3 inches maybe even just two. It seems they eat earthworms and slugs, among other much larger things but this snake is too small to eat the earthworms and slugs that I usually see. I'll probably end up releasing it in the wooded area behind my house but I'd like to try feeding it first. I'll post pictures if I ever find the camera.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
try earth worm "parts" or young earth worms, they get pretty tiny, so do slugs.

Kaimetsu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was planning to let him go in my backyard since I didn't think I'd be able to find worms or slugs small enough for him to eat. I took him outside to get some pictures and then let him go, but he was so cute i decided I'd try to keep him a little longer and put more effort into finding food for him. A minute after I put the camera down he slipped out of my hand and between the cracks of my deck, so hes free now and hopefully he'll find some good food down there. Here are the pictures I took.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I used to keep ringnecks when I was younger. The species found here in socal seems to prefer eating salamanders.

While these snakes are quite slim and fragile looking, they really enjoy a big fat juicy worm the most IMO. I mean a big european nightcrawler when I say fat and juicy.

These snakes are alot different than others, they need high humidity, cool temperatures, and low light. And they stress REALLY easily. Difficult species to keep happy.

Remember that this IS a snake, and as such, can swallow a big prey item, so if you havent released him/her yet, try giving a nice big fat worm.

Coco coir, moistened is best for these snakes, IMO. Along with a rock to hide under.

EDIT: ah he's gone. Okay nvm lol. Well, at least you can keep this in mind next time.