B. Vagans sling problem

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I thought it was in premolt, as its "head" was white, and it looks like the abdomen is curved and something is coming out of it, like it kind of was molting, but it hasnt moved in a few days. It's not in a deathcurl or anything, just wondering what could have happened.

annd after moving it around, it wont move. how long do these slings usually take to molt, because im close to throwing it out. it was eating well until a few days ago, nothing different.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't throw it out until you smell a smelly smell that smells smelly.

However, why are you using the color of its carapace as a sign of molting? It is the abdomen turning black that lets you know about an impending molt. So, pictures would help in this instance, especially for the abdomen situation.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't throw it out until you smell a smelly smell that smells smelly.

However, why are you using the color of its carapace as a sign of molting? It is the abdomen turning black that lets you know about an impending molt. So, pictures would help in this instance, especially for the abdomen situation.
its abdomen is black, and it was weird, it stopped moving when its "head"... i forget the term, turned white. that was three days ago.

Last edited:

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Grom, The pic is a little fuzzy but the sling appears pale, somewhat translucent like it has already molted. Somethings up with leg 3 and 4 on the right side. It appears that one may actually be detached and the other curled up over the body. The sub looks a bit swampy as well. I'd leave it alone and wait.

Good luck,

Terry

Bird Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I saved the pic to my desktop and then zoomed in a bit and it kinda looks like the carapace has popped off, but also a chunk of substrate is sitting on at least one leg and the popped carapace. This could be trapping it preventing it from flipping over and be able to molt. It is in a weird position to be molting, but I've had slings molt in all kinds of crazy positions. If it is molting and has already been 3 days I'd think it would be trapped inside the molt by now, but I wouldn't toss it out either till it smelled dead.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I saved the pic to my desktop and then zoomed in a bit
I did this as well. It kind of looks like it has died and molded. It has a fair amount of wispy white things sticking out in back. I would definitely get other's opinions before deciding the worst, because I am currently a cyclops and therefore not seeing 20/20.;)

I have never seen a sling turn white like that before either. Our B. vagans sling has never looked like that in the time we have had it. We have had it since it was just a bit bigger than the one you have there.(if I am judging correctly that is)

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yea it smelled bad. i threw it out :( grrr
i have the worse luck with slings under an inch.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yea it smelled bad. i threw it out :( grrr
i have the worse luck with slings under an inch.
That substrate looked way too wet, even for a sling. Tell us a bit about your husbandry choices and maybe we here on the forum can help you fix what is going wrong. We(myself and Mr. Gone) have lost a total of 2 slings in the almost 2 years of caring for mostly small slings. One flipped on its back and then ceased living and one molted in its burrow and flatlined there, so we guess the deaths were caused by molt complications. So, deaths happen for undetermined reasons, but if you are losing alot of them; it could be something in the way you are caring for them. We have 23 slings right now, but that number pales in comparison to others on the board.

I am sorry you lost your sling.:(

Lisa Gayle 713

Arachnopeon
Sorry about your vagans.... my pulchra may be joining him at the Rainbow Bridge as we speak. (The Rainbow Bridge is where all your pets go and wait for you to leave your physical body and reunite with them in spirit, in case you didn't know. There's a poem about it somewhere- ALWAYS makes me cry.)

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
personally, regardless if it contributed or not to the problem i wouldn't keep any of my "brachy's and gramma's" (lol, saw it earlier and had to use it now) slings that wet.

i've had no moult complications from either of mine (a 1.25" smithi i've had moult in my care 1 time and .5" pulchripes thrice, respectively), and i keep their sub dry, moistening the corner opposite of them with maybe a tbs. of water a week. i get reading of 60-70% humidity with these conditions and no adverse reactions eating/moulting so far, so i assume its working fairly well.

i wouldn't be shocked something dead would grow mold quickly in that enviroment though.

sorry for your loss, by the way.

Last edited:

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it wasnt always that wet.

my first suntiger sling died due to a live cricket i forgot to prekill, husbandry mistake

this one im not sure. It was like that for two days before i misted it heavily, i always only mist one corner of their containers.

and i just lost, i think, 4 curly hairs i got for free due to keeping them too hot.

ive just gotta buckle down i think. its making me sick.