avi. avi. price range

agentbsmithi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I almost bought this pinktoe today at petsmart but I think im gonna wait til my girlfriend or I get paid because I need to start settin up an arboreal enclosure first. Anyways, it was hangin out in this tube web it made and I saw an exuvia in the web and thought "maybe it just molted" so I was gonna grab it but I wanted to see what they usually cost. I know, I know, it all depends so let me try to give you as much info as I have.

The spider wasnt too big, still a juvie im guessing, but not small at all. maybe 2"? Of course, it was pretty dark with nice lil pink toes haha.

anyways, to make a long story not as long as ive tried to make it, hows 30$ sound for this spider?

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
agentbsmithi said:
I almost bought this pinktoe today at petsmart but I think im gonna wait til my girlfriend or I get paid because I need to start settin up an arboreal enclosure first. Anyways, it was hangin out in this tube web it made and I saw an exuvia in the web and thought "maybe it just molted" so I was gonna grab it but I wanted to see what they usually cost. I know, I know, it all depends so let me try to give you as much info as I have.

The spider wasnt too big, still a juvie im guessing, but not small at all. maybe 2"? Of course, it was pretty dark with nice lil pink toes haha.

anyways, to make a long story not as long as ive tried to make it, hows 30$ sound for this spider?
Way to much for a petco pink toe that is most likely a W/C, I would much rather spend $20 or so + shipping and get a C/B sling or juv. from a known dealer...If you look around and don't mind a W/C you can find them at smaller pet shops for as little as $10...

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think for a pet store, $30 for an A. avicularia is pretty reasonable. Just make sure it's in good shape.

agentbsmithi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bearskin10 said:
Way to much for a petco pink toe that is most likely a W/C, I would much rather spend $20 or so + shipping and get a C/B sling or juv. from a known dealer...If you look around and don't mind a W/C you can find them at smaller pet shops for as little as $10...
thats the only thing i hate about buying spiders at stores is they never can tell me if its wild caught or captive bred. they can never give me just a straight "yes" or "no" or whatever.

im thinking about talkin to botar again and mailin off for a versicolor. Id rather have one of those, and they arent whacky priced like all the petstores in east county CA.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
another thing about buying from petstores

what does the care look like the spider has been getting?

you probably want to stay away from something that is in the wrong kind of cage... who knows how long it's been mistreated... that might cause it to die through no real fault of your own

agentbsmithi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cacoseraph said:
another thing about buying from petstores

what does the care look like the spider has been getting?

you probably want to stay away from something that is in the wrong kind of cage... who knows how long it's been mistreated... that might cause it to die through no real fault of your own
you know what, every petstore ive seen that has tarantulas can never properly care for their spiders. theyre all in the same sized terrariums, same substrate, same everything. arboreal spiders are living in terrestrial tanks and stuff. the only real healthy lookin spiders ive seen are the redknees.

i always wanna take the mistreated spiders and liberate em to a nicer home. i feel bad for them because its not their fault the stupid petstore employees dont know anything about them.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
agentbsmithi said:
i always wanna take the mistreated spiders and liberate em to a nicer home. i feel bad for them because its not their fault the stupid petstore employees dont know anything about them.
Sadly though this only allows the abuse to continue. The best thing you can do is walk away. If the store ends up not making any money caryying tarantulas, they will stop. If they continue to sell them, they will continue to carry them.

agentbsmithi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
Sadly though this only allows the abuse to continue. The best thing you can do is walk away. If the store ends up not making any money caryying tarantulas, they will stop. If they continue to sell them, they will continue to carry them.
i hypothesized this. they wouldnt be used to what their habitat should be, so it would just stress them out more, yeah? thats what came to mind when you said "this allows the abuse to continue".

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
The best thing you can do is walk away. If the store ends up not making any money caryying tarantulas, they will stop. If they continue to sell them, they will continue to carry them.
Well in my opinion this sounds great but it would keep so many people from being in the hobby. Where else would the general public so to speak get to experience a T ? My interest was sparked by a T at a petstore. I didn't buy one from them but instead got online and researched for over a month before my purchase from an online dealer.

Alissa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
agentbsmithi said:
i hypothesized this. they wouldnt be used to what their habitat should be, so it would just stress them out more, yeah? thats what came to mind when you said "this allows the abuse to continue".

I think what they mean is that by giving the pet store your money you are saying "I like what you are doing with your tarantulas, keep it up! Here's my money, go buy and mistreat some more."

You can try offering them caresheets but for the most part there isn't much you can do to change a petstore - any spider that you take out of the store and give better care to will just be replaced by another spider - you are rewarding them for doing the wrong thing, unfortunately. Spending your money to support reputable dealers is the best thing you can do for the hobby - and to save yourself the trouble of sickly spiders :D

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree with most of the other posts! Don't go the pet store route! You have no way of knowing when the por animal was last fed, etc. I once inquired about a job at PetSmart b/c I have years of experience with arachnids and herps, and was told they were already overstocked with perfectly capable "sales people." Is this really where you want an animal who has the capability to thrive for years to come from? Captive bred is always worth it!
I recently added it up for another friend of mine, and we estimated I'd lost @5K over the years saving money through pet stores, when my healthiest and best animals who were captive bred from reputable breeders have only cost me @2.5 K. This is for herps and arachnids, but it illustrates the point!
Good luck on your decision, hope this helps!

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i rescued an avic avic from a pet shop for $30 and she lived for a few years. she was mature at the time i got her.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I typically see adult Avic avics at reptile shows for $12.00 or less. I just bought a sub-adult Avicularia braunshauseni, incorrectly labled as an Avic avic, at a pet store for $15.00, and it's about 3.5 inches across, maybe a bit more. $30.00 for a two-inch Avicularia avicularia, pet shop or not, is too much.

pitbulllady

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
agentbsmithi said:
im thinking about talkin to botar again and mailin off for a versicolor. Id rather have one of those, and they arent whacky priced like all the petstores in east county CA.
Better get more than a versi. The shipping alone with him for me was 30$. When i have enough $, i am going to go on a shopping spree with his large selection of avics :drool: . I ordered two from him a while back when that clutch just went on sale and he sent me three. Great guy.

Ronj

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most of the chain petstores are not counting on a serious collector to purchase thier T's. If that were the case, they would carry a larger selection and thier employees would know what they were doing. The majoirty of the T's, especially the G. Rosea will be purchased by mommy and daddy for little johnny:evil:. I doubt that most of the little johnny's will truly have an interest in T's as a long term hobby. I don't even want to guess how many T's die due to neglect:confused:. I for one will continue to purchase from petstores because it will not make a diffecnce if I let johnny have them all.

In regards to mortality, I have to date lost 1 sling due to my stupidity and one large adult male G Rosea. The sling came from a breeder and the G. from a petstore. I agree that breeders are the best bet, however it is difficult not to take advantage of a great deal, and especialy difficult to walk away with those sad little 8 eyes looking up at you, begging for a good home before johnny walks in:eek:.

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
this little pet store i worked for treated the pink toe that i have now really poorly so i just took it home with me. i couldnt help it. but so far so good it looks real healthy now and makeing a huge tube web witch it never maid at that god forsaken pet store i worked at.:cool: