Average tarantula sizes (fully adult)

boina

Lady of the mites
One point that has annoyed me for a while is that you can't find reliable data for average tarantula sizes. Most sites give maximum sizes and even those are usually wildly inaccurate and in many cases I've the strong impression people just copy from other pages or pull random numbers out of their behind. Especially the size of larger species usually gets overestimated. While rare exceptions may actually reach those maximum sizes you'll find on the web, the average spider in your care will probably not. So, I'd love a thread about the very simple question: how large does a specific species of tarantula actually get on average.

First we need some rules for measuring:
- leg span
- actually measured, not estimated, either from molt or stretched out on the enclosure side for arboreals
- mostly stretched out, but not forcefully so.
- the spider should be an older adult that is not expected to gain significantly in size anymore. Of course spiders can grow for all their lives, but once they reach a certain size/age further growth is minimal.
- the thread should NOT be about bragging about your oh so very large spiders, but it should give realistic data about what to expect

Myself, I own older adults of a number of species that are advertised as getting very large (no Theraphosa, though), but not a single one of my spiders has reached 8". Here are some numbers, sorted by size:

7.5"

- Acanthoscurria geniculata. Actually I have two, raised from sling and now 8 and 9 years old, and neither has reached 8".
- Lasiodora klugi. She looks bigger, because that's one massive spider, but when actually measured she's still below 8".
- Poecilotheria rufilata.

7"

- Lasiodora difficilis. The slightly smaller, fluffier cousin of the klugi
- Phormictopus sp. green femur
- Xenesthis immanis
- Pamphobeteus nigricolor. I've bought this as nigricolor but I'm in Europe and I'm not exactly sure that this is the same species that gets sold as nigricolor in America.
- Psalmopoeus cambridgei. In my experience this is the largest of the NW arboreals by quite a margin.

6.5"

- Phormictopus cautus violet
- Sericopelma generalum
- Pamphobeteus insignis
- Poecilotheria regalis

6"

- Grammostola pulchripes
- Megaphobema mesomelas. This spider is massive, with a huge body and short legs and therefore looks much bigger than the leg span indicates.
- Poecilotheria subfusca "highland" or whatever the proper name is right now.
- Lampropelma nigerrimum
- Psalmopoeus irminia
- Phormictopus auratus (bought as platus)
(- Chilobrachys Kaeng Krachan. This one may actually still grow a bit)

5.5"

- Nhandu chromatus. Don't believe anyone that tells you Nhandus get big. I've two of those from different breeders and both only reached this size. And I fed them properly, too, ad libitum as slings and juveniles.
- Tapinauchenius polybotes, formerly sold as sanctivincenti. This is actually the largest Tapi, not gigas (now Pseudoclamoris gigas). If you can get your hands on this species I very highly recommend it, one of my favorite arboreals, chill and nearly always out.
- Pterinochilus murinus
- Megaphobema robustum

5"

- Pseudoclamoris gigas. I've seen some discussion about this species specifically, but mine is pretty exactly 5".
- Caribena versicolor
- Pterinochilus chordatus
- Tlitocatl albopilosus - now I've read everywhere they get bigger, so this may be a runt, but mine really is this small.
- Brachypelma hamorii
- Brachypelma auratum. All others of my Brachys I do not consider to be fully grown yet - Brachys grow excruciatingly slow.
- Nhandu carapoensis
- Phormingochilus sp. rufus - highly recommended species, very outgoing and makes spectacular webs.

I'm running out of time for today, but I'd love if people would post their own numbers here.

Last edited:

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
I have this super fun citizen science project in my mind for quite a while, you know... your post is around 75% there with what I am considering.
The missing 25% are where the actual work is, though.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have not measured my B. boehmei since... ever really. But since her last molt, she definitely look way larger than the rest of my collection. I'll try to get an actual measurement next time she's on the wall and fully stretched out. She definitely looks bigger than 5", to say the least. I'll get back to this thread once I get the measurement. Thanks for those numbers, @boina, it really shows that some species' sizes are often exaggerated.

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
I know the expected adult sizes for mine based upon general reading - but a single definitive list would be cool! :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know all my Ts exceed the maximum size listed because they are fed the finest of prey items. All prey are raised on organic vegetation, hand picked by virgins from their respective lands of origins. Flown live to my residence with soothing music in the background.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I know all my Ts exceed the maximum size listed because they are fed the finest of prey items. All prey are raised on organic vegetation, hand picked by virgins from their respective lands of origins. Flown live to my residence with soothing music in the background.
Virgins? Is there near you? Hard to believe! 🤣

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Interesting thread and I hope to contribute to it over the years. At this point, I have maybe two tarantulas that have reached the point of minimal growth gains per molt, a 0.1 P. pulcher and a 0.1 P. regalis. I usually don't get a good molt from the pulcher and I never catch her on the side of the enclosure, but I have a good measurement on the regalis. The last molt was 6.5" DLS. I want to say I've had her for about 3 years and she was picked up at a 5", so I'm guessing she's a little over 5 years old at this point.

I do have a 0.1 P. rufilata that I got as a 2" juvenile in January 2019 that I last measured at about 7". She just molted, so I might try and fish that out to measure it (dicey situation, she needs a rehouse at this point). She's only around 3 years old, so I expect she's going to be a monster.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
what do you consider "older" specimens? At what point do they stop putting on size exactly? I assume once they reach maturity? or later depending on the species?

love your post i wish we had each measurement documented by photograph so none can make something up.

I own 0.2.0 Lasiodora parahybana that are both around 8", they are sisters, cocoon laid on 19.01.2015 so around 6-7 years old, they used to molt just weeks apart from each other but this summer only one of them molted so far.

this is its latest molt:
IMG_20210909_200157.jpg
and the one from last year:
IMG_20210909_200102.jpg

as you can see, it still grew quite a bit and even though the molts are dried and probably not perfectly positioned it came close to 8"

i would be surprised if the spider would be smaller than 8" after this recent molt as it visibly looks bigger now, than before.

edit: sadly i have no specimens from a different sack/breeder to compare them to but from the amout of growth i can see i would say 8" is quite normal for these spiders. I would love to hear from someone with much older specimens though that have stopped putting on size.

Last edited:

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
First we need some rules for measuring:
- leg span
- actually measured, not estimated, either from molt or stretched out on the enclosure side for arboreals
- mostly stretched out, but not forcefully so.
- the spider should be an older adult that is not expected to gain significantly in size anymore. Of course spiders can grow for all their lives, but once they reach a certain size/age further growth is minimal.
- the thread should NOT be about bragging about your oh so very large spiders, but it should give realistic data about what to expect
You forgot to add a point to include a picture with measuring tape for verification... Otherwise we're just relying on others words.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would love to hear from someone with much older specimens though that have stopped putting on size.
I have a 13 year old female L. parahybana. I would consider her an older specimen. She hasn't put on any more size the past several years. She's not much larger than yours, if it at all. Maybe just over 8 inches. Definitely not exceeding 8.5. All of those old claims of 10 to 11" ones, I believe are crap exaggerations. I agree that 8, give or take a quarter of an inch, is the real expected size of these spiders.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
I have a 13 year old female L. parahybana. I would consider her an older specimen. She hasn't put on any more size the past several years. She's not much larger than yours, if it at all. Maybe just over 8 inches. Definitely not exceeding 8.5. All of those old claims of 10 to 11" ones, I believe are crap exaggerations. I agree that 8, give or take a quarter of an inch, is the real expected size of these spiders.
Expected size =/= max size

There are always genetic outliers in the 99th percentile.

The point of this thread is to give people averages instead of the max's that you usually see when you google outdated species care sheets.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Expected size =/= max size

There are always genetic outliers in the 99th percentile.

The point of this thread is to give people averages instead of the max's that you usually see when you google outdated species care sheets.
I'm well aware of what the point of the thread is. Which is why I stated that 8 inches would be an expected adult size (because it would be an average, i didn't think this would require clarification).
And I'm also saying claims of 10 to 11 inch Lps are largely BS, even as a maximum. I've been keeping arachnids for the past 30 years, and have never encountered any that were anywhere near that size. Wolfram1 wanted to hear from someone with a much older specimen, so I responded.

@boina
From experience, I completely agree with you about Nhandu chromatus and Megaphobema robustum. I have had similar adult sizes to yours in the past when keeping those species, despite the online claims of much larger sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
I'm well aware of what the point of the thread is. Which is why I stated that 8 inches would be an expected adult size (because it would be an average, i didn't think this would require clarification).
And I'm also saying claims of 10 to 11 inch Lps are largely BS, even as a maximum. I've been keeping arachnids for the past 30 years, and have never encountered any that were anywhere near that size. Wolfram1 wanted to hear from someone with a much older specimen, so I responded.
Mr Moran has a picture of a 10" LP molt, maybe if you email him he'd show it to you. Peak genetics go a long way.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Mr Moran has a picture of a 10" LP molt, maybe if you email him he'd show it to you. Peak genetics go a long way.
Yeah. I heard him mention that in a video. He's the current decade's YouTube star I guess, it doesn't seem that long ago since Robc and Jon3000 were the youtube rockstars of the hobby, but It really has been.
Anyhow, still not necessarily buying into that. Why not ask for permission to show it in the video? Otherwise, it's almost like saying, "I saw a sasquatch once."
While we're discussing actual tarantula sizes in this thread, I don't always trust the accuracy of molt measurements. They're thin hollow remnants of exoskeleton, with pliability and movement in places that a living spider does not have. Especially after they've pulled themselves through the popped top of the thorax. I'm sure I could pin one of my female's molts (if still intact) to a board and make her appear to have a larger DLS than she actually does.

JPG

Auto-Disclaimer Enabled
Some of my unexpected smaller mature males:

Two of my MM GBB is 3" :grumpy:
2 MM A. genic at 5"
MM LP at 6.5"

boina

Lady of the mites
I can add a few more:

Omothymus schioedtei at 6". She was just out on the front glass for the first time in like two years (!) and is freshly molted.

Tapinauchenius and Pseudoclamoris - very underrated genera in my opinion, probably due to their small size:

- P. burgessi: 4.5", or maybe just a little larger
- T. rasti: 4.5" - an absolute beauty, very outgoing, pretty chill for a Tapi and very robust, and makes elaborate, spectacular webs. My nephew got one as his second T. (a gift from me, first was a B. emilia) and has no trouble with it.
- T. violaceus: 4" (may possibly still grow a bit)
- T. plumipes: 3.5" - tiny but tough!

Smaller Psalmopoeus:

- P. reduncus at 4.5" and
- P. langenbucheri at 4"

Oh, and @vespers - thanks for the confirmation!

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
is this restricted to captive specimens or does this include “wild” specimens as well? i would be willing to participate of course

boina

Lady of the mites
is this restricted to captive specimens or does this include “wild” specimens as well? i would be willing to participate of course
Please, give sizes of some "wild" specimens, I'm really curious about them!

KenNet

Arachnosquire
Please, give sizes of some "wild" specimens, I'm really curious about them!
It's a great question! And I would like to see the answer as much as you do.
There's really anyone left to measure in the wild? No, we just getting our hopes up...😢