Asian Forest Blue Hue

Sarcysod

Arachnopeon
Hello, hope you're all well. My Asian Forest (Wingnut) hasn't eaten in about five months. I'm not majorly concerned about this, as he's not losing weight, but he seems to have some blueish 'hue' on his exoskeleton. There's no spread on his exoskeleton, so I don't think he's premoult. Hopefully you can pick it up on the pictures. Does anyone know what this is? I've had him for about 18 months and am unsure of his age (the previous owner wasn't sure either!!). He's always out in the open and doesn't move around much (but he hasn't since I got him). His current humidity is 86% (just been sprayed) and his ambient temp is 24C. There is no heat mat as he's on top of the snakes tank, over the heat emitter, but at the moment it doesn't seem to be giving him an increase in temperature to act as a basking spot. Any help and advice with this is gratefully accepted!! Jamie.

Attachments

Last edited:

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Asian Forest Scorpions not only lead largely sedentary lives but also scorpions have a low metabolism. It's not eating because it's not hungry. You may want to raise the temps to 27c which are optimal temps because scorpion are ectothermic. Raising temps will raise the metabolism thus increasing activity and burning energy leading to probable increase in feeding.

Sarcysod

Arachnopeon
Asian Forest Scorpions not only lead largely sedentary lives but also scorpions have a low metabolism. It's not eating because it's not hungry. You may want to raise the temps to 27c which are optimal temps because scorpion are ectothermic. Raising temps will raise the metabolism thus increasing activity and burning energy leading to probable increase in feeding.
Cheers Outpost, I'll put a heat mat and thermostat on the side of his enclosure. Any ideas what the blueish parts on him are? They are only a recent development in the last few weeks.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Cheers Outpost, I'll put a heat mat and thermostat on the side of his enclosure. Any ideas what the blueish parts on him are? They are only a recent development in the last few weeks.
I don't think the bluish hues is anything to be overly concerned over it may be the lighting or stained by prior substrates, or it could be premolt dull (but it does look adult to me).

Sarcysod

Arachnopeon
I don't think the bluish hues is anything to be overly concerned over it may be the lighting or stained by prior substrates, or it could be premolt dull (but it does look adult to me).
No worries, I'll get the heat mat sorted tomorrow and hopefully that should "cheer him up" a bit 😀. Thanks for your help with this.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
No worries, I'll get the heat mat sorted tomorrow and hopefully that should "cheer him up" a bit 😀. Thanks for your help with this.
Yes, they basically more or less live in 24c-29.5c temps all year round and inhabit wet woodlands. Keep the substrate moist.

adam james

Arachnosquire
It almost looks like a powdery mildew/mold. Can they grow /get mildew on the exo? I wonder if it will rinse off or come off on a q-tip, enough to tell what it is (or to tell if its something in the exo itself)

adam james

Arachnosquire
I wonder if it is hardwater stain from misting (if the poster is not using filtered water)?