Are Wolf Spiders Lycosidae good meal for Phoneutria?

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey there!!!

I would want to know if a wolf spider is fdangerous for an adult Phoneutria male. Should I worry to put that kind of meal for him??? latelly I have not been able to find food big enough for her like crickets, only small butterflies.

Ricardo

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would not risk it, the wolf might get lucky. You need to get a roach colony going, until then I would put a light outside at night to attract katydids or other orthoptera or what ever besides spiders. imo

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's a very good idea because I can only buy feeder mealworms small and large. The question is, how do I catch them once I attract them. Is there a way to make a catching device that does not kill them. There are crickets here, but trying to catch so many and breed them is just insane. :eek:

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well today I was worried the whole day because this morning I put a Wolf spider female lycosidae, which are pretty big into my phoneytria's male container. I was lucky, by the time I got home nothing happend. So I took the wolf out of the container and got some small crickets that were outside of my house. How many times do you think a male adult phoneutria should eat?

Ricardo

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well today I was worried the whole day because this morning I put a Wolf spider female lycosidae, which are pretty big into my phoneytria's male container. I was lucky, by the time I got home nothing happend. So I took the wolf out of the container and got some small crickets that were outside of my house. How many times do you think a male adult phoneutria should eat?

Ricardo
A mm wont need to eat that much, I would say 1-2 crickets per week, if that.

A "pit fall" trap is easy to make. A pit fall trap is simply a hole dug in the ground that bugs fall in and cant get out.

For a pit fall trap, you dig a hole about 12 inches deep and 6 inches or more wide. Cover it with a board and make sure build up the dirt under each corner to raise the board about a 1/4 of an inch so bugs can crawl
under it and fall into the hole. The thing about a pit fall trap is you might catch spiders that may eat some prey bugs.

For flying insects: At night you hang a white sheet over a line like a clothes line then have a light close to the sheet (a black light works best) and the bugs will come, especially if you live in a forested area. Then you can net them or just grab them and put them in a collection jar. Katydids bite and some can cut you good so be careful.
http://www.tolweb.org/treehouses/?treehouse_

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,

always good, seeing people giving advice who have never ever even seen a living subject of this genus, let alone having taken care for it....

The more you feed it, the faster that male will fade away.

Mature males of Phoneutria will without any troubles survive feeding intervals of as much as 3 weeks and possibly more.

Feed them about 1 or 2 crickets or similar insects about the size of 4cm bodylength and that´s it per feeding.

Feed it 1 or 2 of them per week and have your male die in some weeks, you´ll just speed up its metabolism.

Regards,

Stefan

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi,

always good, seeing people giving advice who have never ever even seen a living subject of this genus, let alone having taken care for it....

Mature males of Phoneutria will without any troubles survive feeding intervals of as much as 3 weeks and possibly more.

Feed them about 1 or 2 crickets or similar insects about the size of 4cm bodylength and that´s it per feeding.

Feed it 1 or 2 of them per week and have your male die in some weeks, you´ll just speed up its metabolism.

Regards,

Stefan

Hey stephan, how ya doing man, it seems your giving my advise....but thats ok if you want to copy me.
you might learn something,lol. Oh btw, you dont know me or my collection...and that pisses you off doesn't it:D Also I've been doing this before you were crapping your diapies bro.

Last edited:

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi,

Regards,

Stefan

Another thing, this is typical of most true males of larger families, if my advise failed to do anything ,it would be not bringing toolrick up to speed about males in general.:D

Last edited:

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and to think...people wonder why the real knowledgable people don't post as much anymore. :?

moose

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mainly because EVERYTHING degrades into some petty pissing match between one or more members. To quote Gold 5, 'Stay on target!" and just answer the question the OP asked. If you have such a problem with another member or the advice they have given, correct them or take it up in PM. I am going to lay down because every muscle on the right side of my spine from my ear to my butt is now in a knot.

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So what is your final recomendation on how to feed my adult phoneutria male???
once a week??? twice??? or once a month??? so we will not die so soon.

Ricardo

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So what is your final recomendation on how to feed my adult phoneutria male???
once a week??? twice??? or once a month??? so we will not die so soon.

Ricardo
Well tool, to play it safe, lets say a prey item every 2 weeks, the size Stefan says.
Stefan is very experienced with this genera so its about the spiders welfare, not my ego, or stefans for that matter. If stefan replies back, hes good to listen to. You might try reading his threads as well, they will give you a better insight to the species.

Last edited: