Are moths and butterflies off limits?

TheraMygalo

Arachnosquire
I am asking genuinely because I do not see many posts about them. I know there are lepidoptera forums aplenty, but, perhaps they do not share the same common interest we do with spiders. Afterall, there are isopod forums and such. I have been in the process of hatching a few species recently.

I do care a lot about the issue of inbreeding. I prefer the mix of bloodlines. It has been hard for me to expand my bloodlines.

I do not necessarily wish to make a big deal about it. I was just curious to see if any of us Tarantula keepers were also keeping some saturniids and such. Of course, I am situated in Canada, so my species list is small. But I was curious to see if I was the only one keeping these.

I enjoy to see the metamorphisis and hatching after diapause. The transition and egg laying. I have been keeping lepidoptera for a long time, they are inverterbrates too. I guess i wish to have some sort of small exchange on the subject. Or connect with people who share a passion for spiders and also keep saturniids.

Cecropia was the last of my species to hatch. Unfortunately, only the males have come forth yet. And all my wild found specimens are still no show. Most likely dried to point of no return. Such bad winters we have had…

Attachments

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Not my cup of tea, but we've got an extremely diverse group of people here so someone is bound to share your interests. Beautiful specimen there!

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
I am asking genuinely because I do not see many posts about them. I know there are lepidoptera forums aplenty, but, perhaps they do not share the same common interest we do with spiders. Afterall, there are isopod forums and such. I have been in the process of hatching a few species recently.

I do care a lot about the issue of inbreeding. I prefer the mix of bloodlines. It has been hard for me to expand my bloodlines.

I do not necessarily wish to make a big deal about it. I was just curious to see if any of us Tarantula keepers were also keeping some saturniids and such. Of course, I am situated in Canada, so my species list is small. But I was curious to see if I was the only one keeping these.

I enjoy to see the metamorphisis and hatching after diapause. The transition and egg laying. I have been keeping lepidoptera for a long time, they are inverterbrates too. I guess i wish to have some sort of small exchange on the subject. Or connect with people who share a passion for spiders and also keep saturniids.

Cecropia was the last of my species to hatch. Unfortunately, only the males have come forth yet. And all my wild found specimens are still no show. Most likely dried to point of no return. Such bad winters we have had…
I’ve raised moths back when a site sold eggs online ages ago , and I’ve captured moths who laid eggs . But it’s been 8 years since I saw a big moth here . It seems that the city doesn’t have moths or hardly any bugs anymore.

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Not off limits imo.
The Eye Spots on the Wings is a great adaptation for Self Preservation.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Would certainly be fun to read more. I know loads of butterfly and moth enthusiasts here, but they dont speak English unfortunately ! I often feel that this group of enthusiast are also quite keen on the end game: pinning dead specimens for display/sale. Kind of the opposite of the average tarantula keepers goal of enjoying them alive. Loads of focus on death and money.

There is also the aspect of many species being real pes I am in agriculturets. legal issues and whatnot ensue. I am divided. I love Watching them, but kill them on the daily at the same time. When it comes to Lepidoptera, I am nazi level prejudice! Some live, some don't. And it's a real war! Depends on species and where they exist.

A fun thing. Outside the Monarch butterfly, my country has the second massive butterfly migration. North Taiwan to South. Some make it to Japan. They are really fascinating animals and many people are dedicated to them! The mass butterfly migrations are quite rare and worthy of a visit.

TheraMygalo

Arachnosquire
Would certainly be fun to read more. I know loads of butterfly and moth enthusiasts here, but they dont speak English unfortunately ! I often feel that this group of enthusiast are also quite keen on the end game: pinning dead specimens for display/sale. Kind of the opposite of the average tarantula keepers goal of enjoying them alive. Loads of focus on death and money.

There is also the aspect of many species being real pes I am in agriculturets. legal issues and whatnot ensue. I am divided. I love Watching them, but kill them on the daily at the same time. When it comes to Lepidoptera, I am nazi level prejudice! Some live, some don't. And it's a real war! Depends on species and where they exist.

A fun thing. Outside the Monarch butterfly, my country has the second massive butterfly migration. North Taiwan to South. Some make it to Japan. They are really fascinating animals and many people are dedicated to them! The mass butterfly migrations are quite rare and worthy of a visit.
Interesting point of view. I am myself a worker in the field of agriculture, if you consider horticulture part of agriculture. I assure you, when I come in contact with lepidoptera that is a nuisance or invasive, i eliminate. I made sure to learn many of the egg sac forms to kill those aswell. We have many problems in my country with certain species.

i was mostly talking about saturniids, and non destructive species. Like the Luna moth for example. They never make it very long in their caterpillar stage. They are a juicy fatty snack for most birds. Many ichneumon wasps also lay their eggs inside them. So to actualy get to find a cocoon that will hatch, lets say, of a H. Cecropia, or even the last instar caterpillar, it is pretty awesome.

I’ve raised moths back when a site sold eggs online ages ago , and I’ve captured moths who laid eggs . But it’s been 8 years since I saw a big moth here . It seems that the city doesn’t have moths or hardly any bugs anymore.
indeed, in the saturniids, they have no mouth parts in the moth stage. They just live to reproduce. Then they die. There are less and less great moths in the cities. Without food and habitat, they will go elsewhere.

i currently have over 200 caterpillars to care for. It will be a great expirement. I am lucky to have host tree plants on my land for them. The eggs came from adult moths that i paired. If the cycle comes full circle, and my caterpillars turn into moths, then I know I will have succeeded.

Attachments

TheraMygalo

Arachnosquire
I tried attaching this to my last message but it would not let me:

Not off limits imo.
The Eye Spots on the Wings is a great adaptation for Self Preservation.
the eyes are majestical. They also squirt fluids at you when you try to handle them. It is quite gross. The H. Cercropia also moves their wings up and down to showcase that snake figure. It startled a few humans I showed them too.

Attachments

TheraMygalo

Arachnosquire
My tiny caterpillars have already doubled, see tripled in size. Even after less then 14 days. They are kept on fresh harvested stems and leaves, which are kept in covered water. There are about over a hundred of them. More containers will need to be added as they grow to offer more feeding room.

the caterpillars will litteraly climb down the stalk, then into the water to drown if no precautions are taken.

it is alot of work. Cleaning needs to be done daily, so much frass collects everywhere. You can even hear it falling on the leaves. Feeding is also starting to increase in speed and fresh food needs to be brought in more frequently.

The Volière will be taken outdoors when the caterpillars are big enough. Too many strong winds at the moment.

Attachments

Nessiemomma

Arachnopeon
I had a 100% success rate in raising my Luna Cats to full Moths last year. Released about 24. Had an “accidental“ pairing in my net before I could release them around midnight.

i like to release at night and I knew I had a male and female, went to release around 10:00 and was too late. LOL

TheraMygalo

Arachnosquire
The time and work is tenfold. As they age, the food deplenishes so quickly. I barely have the time to harvest fresh branches that they are gone. The change through instars is unbelievable.

This experience has shown me so much. I learned plenty. I will probably not go down the same path next year. If i wish to continue with these incredible creatures, I will have to upgrade to fullsize facities; outdoor greenhouse.

The opportunity to harvest fresh frass can have economical value. At the proce they sell worm compost, one could easily run an operation that allowed them to make a living enjoying their passion.

They remind me of vegetarian dinosaurs. And their instinct, complies with their extinction.

Fresh cut food is the secret. The constant refreshing and providing the key.

Attachments