Are feeder roaches legal to buy/breed in FL?

Speg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello,

I'm trying to find information on the legality of buying/breeding roaches in FL but I find either outdated information or unreliable info. Does anyone know the true story on this and is able to point me in a more reliable direction for info?

Thank you!

kalebo1

Arachnosquire
It is now illegal in Florida and Tennessee to own Blaptica Dubia roaches because of there ability to thrive in hot, tropical climates. This is not the case for Discoid roaches which are a good feeder roach alternative. You can find people selling these roaches all over the internet and they ARE NOT illegal in Florida....the only ones you have to avoid are B. Dubia's for legal reasons.

Speg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It is now illegal in Florida and Tennessee to own Blaptica Dubia roaches because of there ability to thrive in hot, tropical climates. This is not the case for Discoid roaches which are a good feeder roach alternative. You can find people selling these roaches all over the internet and they ARE NOT illegal in Florida....the only ones you have to avoid are B. Dubia's for legal reasons.
So only that one type of roach is illegal? I was thinking about the lobster roaches....

It's not that I don't believe you, but I would really appreciate some scholarly information on the subject. My line of work requires me to stay very much within the law and I don't want to jeopardize everything I've worked for over some roaches :)

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I wonder why dubia are at the top of the feeder roach list. Discoids are more active. They don't play dead the way dubia do.

Tweak

Arachnosquire
Even if only certain species are banned in Florida I'm pretty sure most roach breeders refuse to ship to Florida in the first place

Speg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Even if only certain species are banned in Florida I'm pretty sure most roach breeders refuse to ship to Florida in the first place
It looks like FL laws on roach species is pretty tight. Discoid roaches look to be plenty legal due to it being a local species of roach.

Tarac

Arachnolord

Phlerr

Arachnoknight
Since when is it illegal to ship dubia roaches to Tennessee? I knew about Florida but this is the first I've heard about em being illegal in TN. Guess I'll have to do a lil research....fun fun

Tarac

Arachnolord
B. dubia is definitely not the only species not allowed into Florida without a permit, BTW. The majority of exotic roach species are not permitted here. Just a small number of native or established species are acceptable.

---------- Post added 08-30-2012 at 12:30 PM ----------

Since when is it illegal to ship dubia roaches to Tennessee? I knew about Florida but this is the first I've heard about em being illegal in TN. Guess I'll have to do a lil research....fun fun
I haven't seen the regulations myself not being from TN, but I think this is probably correct as many of the feeder roach suppliers indicate they will not ship to either Florida or Tennessee.

http://www.gregsexoticinverts.com/feederroaches.htm

See the note just under the shipping options.

---------- Post added 08-30-2012 at 12:40 PM ----------

Hello,

I'm trying to find information on the legality of buying/breeding roaches in FL but I find either outdated information or unreliable info. Does anyone know the true story on this and is able to point me in a more reliable direction for info?

Thank you!
There is a supplier of roaches here in Florida that deals with legal species.

http://www.floridaroaches.com/roach-species