Aphonopelma armada

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Hello all!

I had to share my excitement tonight as I finally made an identification on an Aphonopelma species I have had in my collection for about 15 years. The tarantula was sold to me as wild caught female from Texas under the name Aphonopelma texense. As with most if not all tarantulas sold on the pet trade, there was no locality data. Just Texas. A. texense wasn't described well so I could never make an ID on it until the recent publication of the revision of the Aphonopelma species from the USA by Hamilton et. al. (2016). If you have read it, then you will know the species Aphonopelma texense is considered a nomen dubium and thanks to the excellent species key in that work, I was able to identify my mystery Texan Aphonopelma species as Aphonopelma armada.

As the revision paper states, A. armada can be distinguished from all other Texas species by possessing stout setae along the margin of the prolateral face of coxa 1. There are other differences, but that was the character that confirmed the species for me. I attached pictures of the prolateral coxa 1 of the A. armada and A. hentzi in my collection to this thread for reference in case anyone is interested in seeing what I was looking at under the microscope to compare to the species key and pictures in Hamilton et. al. (2016). In A. armada you can see the stout setae along the margin of the prolateral coxa below the suture and in A. hentzi, the stout setae cover the entire segment.

A 15 year mystery finally solved. Good times.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd email Chris and Jason and let them know their research helped solve a 15 yr old mystery, I bet they would like that.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Great! May we see a pic of the entire spider? :)
It just so happens that it was out of its burrow tonight (which is rare) so I snapped a few pictures and attached the best one which isn't saying much at all. In this picture you can see the flared metatarsus of legs 1 and 2 quite clearly. The flared metatarsus of legs 1-3 are also a character of A. armada. The microscope photo in the original post was from the last molt of this same spider. This female is so old. :)

Attachments

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
That is pretty cool, it's nice to see their work being put to use. Makes me want to take a closer look at some hobby ID'ed Aphonopelma that I have here.

Later, Tom

aggiegrad2012

Arachnopeon
Where did you access this paper, I have texas T's from all over the state and i would love to ID them.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Where did you access this paper, I have texas T's from all over the state and i would love to ID them.
Hamilton CA, Hendrixson BE, Bond JE (2016) Taxonomic revision of the tarantula genus Aphonopelma Pocock, 1901 (Araneae, Mygalomorphae, Theraphosidae) within the United States. ZooKeys 560: 1-340.doi: 10.3897/zookeys.560.6264

zookeys.pensoft.net

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Props on the good research. Taxonomy is littered with obsolete names and synonyms, and I've experienced the same problems in my own research career.

AntikInsomniak

Arachnopeon
This paper helped me properly identify some of my Aphonopelma as well, but from California. I was so excited when this paper was finally released. A very well done and thorough dissertation indeed.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
This paper helped me properly identify some of my Aphonopelma as well, but from California. I was so excited when this paper was finally released. A very well done and thorough dissertation indeed.
That's great! What species were you able to confirm?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I found tonight while doing the rounds in my spider room that my Aphonopelma armada I posted about here isn't going to be around for much longer. It is in the process of dying after all these years. I think this is the first post that I ever made announcing the death of one of my tarantulas, but this one is a bit special due to it being a mystery species for me up until recently and because I've had it for so long. As I mentioned, I acquired this spider 15 years ago as a wild caught female, but what I didn't mention was that it was an adult when I got it. It's very obvious this spider is dying of old age. It has been in my possession for 15 years, plus considering the amount of time it takes an Aphonopelma species from the USA to reach ultimate instar this thing could easily be at or over 20 years old. The only other tarantula I have in my collection that is older is a female Grammostola sp. "porteri" which I bought from a long out of business pet store in the early 2000s and it is still very much alive and well today.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That's really sad :(
But I'm sure she has been very happy in your care, and the age is really stunning!

Walter1

Arachnosquire
Enriching to know its name, even more so as it's about to go. Had good care, no doubt.