Anthia Cinctipennis (african ground beetle)

Mattias

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone

Here are a few pictures of my African ground beetles.
I have them for about a month now and the're really fun to watch, especially when they hunt and eat.
I'll try to post a video of it, once i find out how to do that. :biggrin:

20150927_164231.jpg
20150927_164239.jpg

greetings
Mattias

Mattias

Arachnopeon
video African ground beetle

so, posting a video wasn't as hard as i thought it would be :sarcasm:

[YOUTUBE]KmL5gmxShaM[/YOUTUBE]

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Very very cool! Thanks for sharing them! Planning on breeding them I'm guessing?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
awesome! man i love the large ground beetles from africa(anthias,manchicoras),hope you can breed these guys,what ive heard it's not that easy,enjoy! oooh i wish they were avalible here in the states,i mean i'm beetleman,they should be in my collection along w/the manchicora(spelling) :)

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Urghhh, you dang Europeans with your fancy Carabids, making all us Americans jealous! :p JK, really nice beetles, hope you can breed them! :)

Mattias

Arachnopeon
Thanks,
Yes i'm trying to breed them but there's not much information available on the subject.
I see them mating a lot and the female has been digging for a few nights.
The only thing to do now is wait. :coffee:

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Damn you Europeans and your fancy African beetles ;) Seriously though, those are wicked cool! I wish the USDA would stop putting up such a fuss about this hobby so US hobbyists can experience things like these.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks,
Yes i'm trying to breed them but there's not much information available on the subject.
I see them mating a lot and the female has been digging for a few nights.
The only thing to do now is wait. :coffee:
That's definitely a good sign! I think Wizentrop has some experience with these guys so he may be able to offer some insight. Are you on Beetle Forum too?

Mattias

Arachnopeon
Yeah,
i like to think so too. Fingers crossed. :D
No i'm not on the beetle forum. I'll check it out.

Mattias

Arachnopeon
African tiger beettle ( Anthia cinctipennis)

So, i went to check on the beetles and managed to get a great shot.

20151123_100756.jpg

greetings
Mattias

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
awesome! we will keep our fingers crossed, deep deep substrate,and slightly moist is some of the very little info i got.ooh i want these:)

Mattias

Arachnopeon
A little upddate on my ground beetles.
They're all still doing very well. They always have acces to water and as you can see they use do use it. ( a lot actually )
I tried uploading a video of one of them digging a tunnel but it wouldn't work. I'll try and post it later.
Still no sign of eggs or larvae tho...

20151218_121918.jpg 20160106_181546.jpg

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Did you change the substrate to sand? They need actual sand to lay eggs in.

Mattias

Arachnopeon
No it's still the same substrate. it's excavator clay, sand and eco earth. Ill change it this weekend.
Here's the video i couldn't upload yesterday.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Cool video! :)

Did you ever see Wizentrop's reply on you thread on beetleforum? He has some really good information on breeding these guys!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks for the update! Glad to see they're still doing well and hope you get some eggs from them. I wonder if you just change out a portion of the enclosure to make it full sand if they would lay there?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Thanks for the update! Glad to see they're still doing well and hope you get some eggs from them. I wonder if you just change out a portion of the enclosure to make it full sand if they would lay there?
They might, though I would want to provide as much egg laying space as I could with these guys. Especially considering how little eggs they lay.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They might, though I would want to provide as much egg laying space as I could with these guys. Especially considering how little eggs they lay.
Same here. I can't say that I know how many eggs they lay, but whatever it take to increase your chances of successfully getting larvae the better.