Another water source question...

fishwithoutabik

Arachnobaron
Ok so I have my dubia colony and so far I have had frustration with the watering issue. At first I was using water gel (store bought and blue in color). It worked fine but the gel would dry out and leave crusty stuff allover the place and it was beyond my willing-to-do-ness to keep scrubbing dried blue water crystals off the water dish every few days.

So, I tried water, in a dish. but if it was tall enough to not spill, then the roaches couldn't easily get in/out. I read here that somebody used tara cotta pot bottoms (the flat part that the pot sits in) so I picked some up, but the water seeps through the porous material and I just found maggots underneath. Super yuck.

What are you guys doing? If you buy the dry water crystals and hydrate them yourself, does that eliminate the crusty residue in the bowl?
Is it possible to keep them hydrated by providing produce such as apple slices, and carrots and the like. ...

Am I the only idiot who is having these issues?

Takumaku

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Some suggestions:

a) continue using the water gel (cheaper if you buy it online), but put less in the container.

b) you can try agar agar. Knox unflavored gelatin might work also.

c) fresh fruit/vegetables will work, but you must remember to remove any uneaten after a day else mold and/or fruit flies may become an issue.

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
Just put a wet paper towel on a plate. In a few days when it dries out, Just throw it away.

Senses-Tingling

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Stick with the water gel. The reason water gel is used is because it prevents drownings and keep bacteria to a minimum (compared to using sponges). The reason water gel turns into crystals is because it is dehydrating. Just add a little bit of water to your bowl of water gel every 2-3 days (more often if you keep your roaches at 90+ degrees). It's okay to have loose water in your bowl with the gel, just don't make it deep enough for drownings. The roaches will enjoy drinking the loose water also.
By loose water, I mean water that isn't bound by the water crystals into water gel.
And - definitely buy your water crystals here on AB. There are several suppliers that have them available for about $1-1.50 per ounce, which makes a gallon of gel.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My roaches get all their hydration from apples mostly as well as carrots, squash, mushrooms, watermelon rind (that one got a little messy) etc. No water crystals here except for rare occasions when I know they need water but i'm out of fruit & veggies.

BestRoach

Arachnopeon
Fresh fruit and veggies can be used as a water source, but care must be taken to prevent mold. This method can also get expensive when dealing with super massive colonies....such as the typical breeders.

Wet paper towels will also work, but larger colonies may have issues getting enough water from these. Also, they can be messy unless placed in a dish to keep them isolated from the substrate (frass that has built up is to be considered a substrate). Additionally, I don't like picking nymphs out between the folds when replacing a dish of paper towels. Towels with dye in designs or patters, are also not good.

Agar seems like a decent alternative for those with small colonies. When you need lots of it, it can get expensive...and constantly making it will get old after awhile. I am not convinced agar is really mold resistant though, and don't buy into claims it offers any nutrition. Nutrition is handled by the food...not the water source. That said, agar works well as a water source for many different animals.

Water gel is just easier in my opinion. There is conjecture as to its safety, but I literally have hundreds of thousands of roaches eating the stuff daily...and have never has a single issue while using it. I have also never heard of any reports that feeding insects raised on water gel has caused issues for the animals eating them.
The only issue I have with water gel is that there are many variations of the formula...all of which we generically call water gel. Some are sodium based, while others potassium...there are other formula's too. This is just a pet peeve though, and has no bearing on "water gels" effectiveness as a water source.

Water gel typically provides more water to bulk than fruits/veggies or agar. It is also much more mold resistant than other options, and is very easy to use. Roaches can't drown either....:p

All this said, what works for you, works for you. If you find that agar or fruits work best, then keep using those. I like water crystals...some like paper towels. As long as the roaches are getting their water, who cares?

Take care

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Their's been a case or two of a frog which upon autopsy was found to be impacted with water crystals. I'd use caution with small animals.

Anyway, fresh fruits and veggies is the best bet. If you ever get a windfall of not so good produce just wash it, freeze it up, and then drop the chunks in for the roaches. You should seldom have to buy them stuff to feed...they are roaches, afterall!

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since the roaches eat the water gel - and the t's eat the roaches....we don't use it at all. Beside the fact that it holds feces and fouls the water, much the same way that sponges and paper do. Yuck!
This is what we water our huge colonies with. Construction is easy enough for a 1st grader to do.

When it runs out of water - simply rinse the bowl and jar and refill.
Hope this helps make things simpler for you. :)

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I switch back and forth with gel and water and combinations of both depending on whether I'm in a hurry or not. The roaches seem to do well no matter which I use. When I use water I use a shallow lid from a medium-sized jar (like instant coffee or peanut butter) and add some chunks of gel or a couple of pebbles so they don't drown.

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use water crystals, never had a problem. Don't buy that cricket crap from the stores though, that's like 1000% markup and it's not as good as the real stuff, dries up too fast, if you add water it starts stinking.

www.watersorb.com , large polymer.