An Aussie Scorpion you may not have seen before

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This unusual Australian species called Australobuthus xerolimniorum forages on open inland dry salt lakes in South Australia's arid desert areas. Only a small scorpion to about 45mm, but a very interesting one. It is a monotypic genus with some unusual characteristics. Almost completely lacks pigment, has very large median eyes, a relatively small vesicle and quite a hairy metasoma. It is a very active hunter, not stopping its search until a prey item is found. It spends the day under shaded debris along the shorelines of the lakes it forages. These guys really motor, the legs are literally a blur when they run, I guess beacuse of the large distances they cover when looking for prey, they have evolved to move rapidly.

closeup: now to tuck in

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you ain't kidding....its got HUGE eyes. awesome little scorp. great write -up and awesome pics.

moose

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
are those really eyes or just a ploy to distract predators??? i see set of eyes lower down..nice scorp though...

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All scorpions have multiple eyes, a pair on top and multiple(2-6?) along the front of the prosoma. They are unusually visible because of the low pigmentation. Nice pics too.

Last edited:

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mark, I know I have seen this species before. Mainly because it is my background thanks to you. haha

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Absolutely incredible photographs!
Is it just me or does that species have massive pectines?

I might have seen wrong, gorgeous little beast!

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Absolutely incredible photographs!
Is it just me or does that species have massive pectines?

I might have seen wrong, gorgeous little beast!
Good point....yes, it has the longest pectines of all known Australian scorpions, probably as a result of foraging on such a uniform terrain.

mkieff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice POST. What type of camera did you use to get the pictures? Did you use a macro lens, or just get fairly close?

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice POST. What type of camera did you use to get the pictures? Did you use a macro lens, or just get fairly close?
Thanks....I use a digital SLR, Nikon D50 and an old (20+ yrs) manual macro (1:1) lens and a large Metz 45CT4 flash gun. I take a lot of photos inside white icecream containers that act as mini studois, bouncing the light around for good shadow fill.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wow almost alien looking. Looks great. And I noticed the pectines too.
Eddy