African House Snakes

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Where are they!?

I've read a lot about them and surprisingly, they're really hard to find. They seem to be more easier to care for than corn snakes and easier to breed too. They have less requirements and aren't too iffy about getting cold periods and barf like that. The problem is where to get one. I been around a couple of the better pet shops, but haven't found any. It's even hard to find them online. Most of the search results I get from "house snakes for sale" usually link to UK sites.

These things breed like crazy, but I don't see them commonly available. Someone must be hording them the greedy bastard! :evil:

If you'd like to know more about them here's a link:
http://housesnakes.net/why-house-snakes.php

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They are widely available but have not caught on yet. LLL reptile stocks them.

Also, they likely need higher temps than corns.

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice! Thanks for the site man. I'll keep watch on this site. Someone who personally kept them said they can tolerate room temperature, but prefer higher. My room stays between 75-90+ and chills at night anyways.

Takumaku

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Actually I keep my house snakes exactly like my corn snakes. Room temperature w/ no additional heat. I think most people prefer corn snakes because of the array of colors and morphs you can get with them.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Interesting. What are your room temps? Do you brumate them in the winter or do you provide heat?

I've thought of getting these but havent decided. Do you breed them yourself TakuMaku?

Takumaku

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
During the Spring/Summer, the temps are mid to upper 70s. During the winter, upper 60s, lower 70s. I don't really brumate the house snake, but I do reduce its food intake. Sorry, my only house snake is a lonely, brown male.

Though I am working on a snow kenyan sand boa project this year. Hoping for something this year since I got nothing from them last year.

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A bit of info

I have a 2.4 group of Lamprophis fuliginosus, the olive house snakes and though they will do fine kept as corns but you will get far better eating, roaming, and mating behavior keeping them at about 75-80F a little over 80 is fine too. And as far as brumating, there is no real need I've found in cooling. They breed alot! had 3 clutches from one female, ranging from 7-5-9 babies each time, all hatched. They breed so prolifically you cannot house them together for extended periods of time due to actually breeding them to death! They will continuously mate all year. They are great snakes, not large so they dont take up alot of space, will eat f/t mice from the get go with no issues, very handleable and actually spend alot of time out and about in the cage, provided its relatively warm. One of the very best and underated beginner snakes out there. In my experience, the African colubrids are far hardier and interesting than any others I have ever had. I also highly reccomend any Rhamphiophis species!