Acanthoscurria geniculata & Brachypelma hamorii Husbandry/Care

Pseudo

Arachnosquire
A big question of mine is whether they are humidity dependent. People answer this with one is from the tropics, etc, but I just want to know if I need to wet down the sub or not.
I read Acanthoscurria geniculata are greedy eaters and confuse everything as food. Do they need to eat more often than other adults? How bad is the bite?
Any other advice is also greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Michael bradley

Arachnopeon
A big question of mine is whether they are humidity dependent. People answer this with one is from the tropics, etc, but I just want to know if I need to wet down the sub or not.
I read Acanthoscurria geniculata are greedy eaters and confuse everything as food. Do they need to eat more often than other adults? How bad is the bite?
I dont usually like commenting as only been in the tarantula game 7 months but I have both and no I don’t keep mine tropical, I just have a water bowl which I overflow now and again.. substrate very dry and no heat mats.. you will also be told not to try and measure humidity as it’s pointless.. both lovely first ts!! Enjoy and make room for more haha.. also pics of setup will also be asked for so everyone can see it’s correct.. many biggeners read care sheets, like I did and they are 9 times outta 10 useless

Pseudo

Arachnosquire
I dont usually like commenting as only been in the tarantula game 7 months but I have both and no I don’t keep mine tropical, I just have a water bowl which I overflow now and again.. substrate very dry and no heat mats.. you will also be told not to try and measure humidity as it’s pointless.. both lovely first ts!! Enjoy and make room for more haha.. also pics of setup will also be asked for so everyone can see it’s correct.. many biggeners read care sheets, like I did and they are 9 times outta 10 useless
Thank you for the advice. I don't attempt to measure the humidity, but I know some need some extra. They are officially four and five for me. As for the enclosures, that would be fruitless right now since they are both one inch slings in deli cups. This thread is mostly for advice once they are juveniles/adults.

Michael bradley

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the advice. I don't attempt to measure the humidity, but I know some need some extra. They are officially four and five for me. As for the enclosures, that would be fruitless right now since they are both one inch slings in deli cups. This thread is mostly for advice once they are juveniles/adults.
Ahhh yeah should of asked if sling or what.. mine are juveniles and that’s how I keep mine, and they are doing awesome!! The white knee is an absolute killing machine lol.. what other ts you have??

Attachments

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Neither species have bad venom, mechanically they can tear you up though...especially an AF geniculata. They should be kept on moist sub, they are pretty hardy and can handle droughts well in comparison to some of the other tropical NWs.

The hamorii will thrive on mostly dry sub, with just the occasional overfilling of the water dish.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Thank you for the advice. I don't attempt to measure the humidity, but I know some need some extra
No species needs humidity, they're not reptiles. What some species do need however, is damper substrate, and your Ts moisture requirements have already been touched on so I won't repeat them.

Pseudo

Arachnosquire
Neither species have bad venom, mechanically they can tear you up though...especially an AF geniculata. They should be kept on moist sub, they are pretty hardy and can handle droughts well in comparison to some of the other tropical NWs.
Is it better to focus on the surface or lower levels of substrate for humidity with this species? I am guessing they are opportunistic burrowers like other terrestrials.

starnaito

Arachnosquire
A. genics prefer more moisture, but B. hamorii like dry substrate with a water dish. A. genics are known to sit over their water dish, especially when the humidity gets low. I wet a small section of substrate for them, letting it dry out completely in between.

I would not advise ever handling an A. genic as they have a huge appetite and tend to mistake everything for food. They also can do a lot of hair kicking when provoked. Not to mention the mechanical damage of an adult bite. I have nicknamed my big guy Jerkface, and it pretty much sums up his personality!

B. hamorii are generally calmer, but there are people here who will tell you they have defensive individuals. I have a male who likes to kick hairs, and a female that is very docile.

Pseudo

Arachnosquire
I wet a small section of substrate for them, letting it dry out completely in between.
Is it important to focus on the lower levels of substrate or just the surface? I am going to have around 7 inches of sub once the tarantula is an adult.

I would not advise ever handling an A. genic as they have a huge appetite and tend to mistake everything for food.
I don't agree with handling, so I would never handle any of them. I am mostly wondering what kind of mechanical damage I should expect if I happen to be bitten. Since they are forever hungry, do they need to be fed more than other terrestrials?

Last edited:

starnaito

Arachnosquire
Is it important to focus on the lower levels of substrate or just the surface? I am going to have around 7 inches of sub once the tarantula is an adult.

I don't agree with handling, so I would never handle any of them. Since they are forever hungry, do they need to be fed more than other terrestrials?
Just the surface of the substrate will be fine. Even as slings and juvies, these guys like to hang out in the open and tend not to hide or burrow, so keeping the lower level damp is unlikely to impact them. Just spray down a section at the surface level every now and then.

It's not that they need to eat more, but they don't hesitate to grab prey and can easily become overweight if you feed too much. It will be very obvious when they're in premolt because it's unlike them to refuse food otherwise. My juvie ate just three days before her molt last time.

But here's the massive beauty you have to look forward to!
IMG_20180515_192620_360.jpg

Attachments

Pseudo

Arachnosquire
Just the surface of the substrate will be fine. Even as slings and juvies, these guys like to hang out in the open and tend not to hide or burrow, so keeping the lower level damp is unlikely to impact them. Just spray down a section at the surface level every now and then.
It's not that they need to eat more, but they don't hesitate to grab prey and can easily become overweight if you feed too much.
Thank you for the information. I agree; my other two slings always stay burrowed, but this one has a burrow, yet stays on the surface unless scared off.

But here's the massive beauty you have to look forward to!
I saw a picture of an adult and just had to get a sling of the same species once I heard a local pet store had one. They are so pretty. :happy:

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I believe both of these species are good kept on dry soil with a water dish (possibly overflow it just a little bit). I keep an A. genic and other Brachypelma sp.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Acanthoscurria geniculata doesn't like totally dry substrate. Keep some of the substrate slightly damp. If a genic constantly hovers around the water dish, it's probably too dry.

I am mostly wondering what kind of mechanical damage I should expect if I happen to be bitten.
Large fangs could create deep puncture wounds. However, a bite from a genic is totally avoidable. Never stick your fingers in the cage. (Do all maintenance with tongs.)

Since they are forever hungry, do they need to be fed more than other terrestrials?
No, but they will act like they do.

When mine was a sling, I fed him 1-2 times per week (depending on the size of the meal). He is now a 3" juvenile and is fed about once per week.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
Is it important to focus on the lower levels of substrate or just the surface?
Just the surface of the substrate will be fine.
Only spraying the surface of the sub will do little for moisture as it will dry out much too quickly. Instead of focusing on the surface, pour a bit of water in a corner to allow the deeper sub to get slightly damp and let it dry out almost completely before adding more water. This provided a moisture gradient that lasts much longer than if you were to focus only on the surface of the substrate.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Acanthoscurria geniculata can tolerate drier conditions but generally prefer slightly moist substrate, this is best achieved by overflowing the water dish/pouring water into the substrate and waiting until it dries out before repeating.

Brachypelma hamorii prefer things to be kept mostly dry, I overflow the water dish to moisten a small area of sub around it and wait for it to dry out completely before repeating.

I read Acanthoscurria geniculata are greedy eaters and confuse everything as food. Do they need to eat more often than other adults?
No, I feed at the same frequency as my other subadults/adults, size of the meal depends on the size of the T.

How bad is the bite?
The venom is weak but the actual bite itself from an AF genic will be like getting stabbed with a pair of roofing nails, this is how big my girl's gnashers were back when she was 6" (75% of max size).

15894776_1560336657313101_3576416694224707359_n.jpg

Any other advice is also greatly appreciated.
Long tongs are you friend, enjoy.