Abdomen size info?

drurymercy

Arachnosquire
I’m just curious if anyone would be willing to share pics of their T’s abdomens what is healthy? Sometimes mine look skinnier from above but on the enclosure and they look fat! The only 2 I think I have naturally bigger are my P machala and my G pulchra.( My P machala just molted too can’t wait for him to come show off) but I think I’m doing it right but would love others input! Also lol I have to remind myself with my new P irminia that arboreals are a little thinner😂 I caught myself wanting to feed her today but she actually looks really good I decided! lol the butt poking out is a T albo sling and the only ones u can’t see is my T vagans all he shows is his head my L sazamai, my big boy T albos hiding and my P machala. But the tiny sling in a burrow is kinda fat he’s a B albiceps I just fed him yesterday. Thanks guys!!

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
if anyone would be willing to share pics of their T’s abdomens what is healthy?
This is another thing I feel like I explain on a regular basis....a quick search allows me to post a few of those responses.

---
The "healthy abdomen" look isn't a reliable way to gauge anything...its unrealistic. All ts molt, and at that point theyre always at their thinnest, then they plump and as they get fat, they prepare to molt....then they cycle starts over.

One cannot maintain a set size for a ts abdomen, this will fluctuate greatly throughout the ts life and each molt cycle. Its normal and how they live and grow.

---

There is absolutely no "healthy" size of an abdomen....abdomen size does not in any way shape or form indicate the health of the animal (unless its shriveled). A freshly molted irminia sling has an abdomen about the size of this - after molting, and its perfectly normal.....a B. hamorii sling the same size could look like a grape....again, perfectly normal. Abdomen size merely indicates (in almost all situations) where the t is in the molt cycle (MMs not withstanding).

---

Abdomen size has ZERO relation to a ts health...a small abdomen is just as normal, natural and healthy as a fat abdomen....this is the life cycle of a t....they molt, are thin, then gradually plump to a fat t and they molt and the process begins again.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
unless it’s so obese it gets a mark under its abdomen from dragging it’s healthy .
Three lp
IMG_8890.jpeg IMG_8891.jpeg IMG_8892.jpeg
t albo , two of them are fatter
IMG_8893.png
This is another thing I feel like I explain on a regular basis....a quick search allows me to post a few of those responses.

---
The "healthy abdomen" look isn't a reliable way to gauge anything...its unrealistic. All ts molt, and at that point theyre always at their thinnest, then they plump and as they get fat, they prepare to molt....then they cycle starts over.

One cannot maintain a set size for a ts abdomen, this will fluctuate greatly throughout the ts life and each molt cycle. Its normal and how they live and grow.

---

There is absolutely no "healthy" size of an abdomen....abdomen size does not in any way shape or form indicate the health of the animal (unless its shriveled). A freshly molted irminia sling has an abdomen about the size of this - after molting, and its perfectly normal.....a B. hamorii sling the same size could look like a grape....again, perfectly normal. Abdomen size merely indicates (in almost all situations) where the t is in the molt cycle (MMs not withstanding).

---

Abdomen size has ZERO relation to a ts health...a small abdomen is just as normal, natural and healthy as a fat abdomen....this is the life cycle of a t....they molt, are thin, then gradually plump to a fat t and they molt and the process begins again.
this definitely explains it although yes I’ve seen you say it many times but it’s the best explanation available.

Last edited:

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
You should look up your specimens in their native habitat on inaturalist, and see what our fast food has done to their bodies 🤣

(Be mindful that most sightings are mature males who will be even skinnier)

drurymercy

Arachnosquire

---

---

---

I was reading threads that made me wonder😂 but I’m so happy u said this since this is kinda what I assumed. Even if I feed a freshly molted juvenile 2 crickets after their molt they still look the same, so I kinda figured. Thank u!! lol I really just need to learn to trust myself. I love research and always trying to learn but I’ve also realized so many ppl can view stuff so differently then I worry if I’m doing something wrong.

unless it’s so obese it gets a mark under its abdomen from dragging it’s healthy .
Three lp
View attachment 474120 View attachment 474121 View attachment 474122
View attachment 474123

this definitely explains it although yes I’ve seen you say it many times but it’s the best explanation available.
They all look so good!!!! That’s the first thing I learned when I got a T is it’s ok as long as it doesn’t get so heavy it drags!! I was reading these threads like picky eaters and some were saying hunger makes everything taste good so essentially don’t feed them much and they had thinner T’s. Yours all look mature😍 i only have one big boy. So beautiful when they get sone legs pan!!

Three lp
View attachment 474120 View attachment 474121 View attachment 474122
View attachment 474123

What’s the last species on the pics?

You should look up your specimens in their native habitat on inaturalist, and see what our fast food has done to their bodies 🤣

(Be mindful that most sightings are mature males who will be even skinnier)
I should!!! I try googling natural habitats and try to find pictures but I’m finding it difficult! But I never thought of inaturalist!! Thank u for this idea!!!