A Tegenaria(?) I'm keeping.

marclar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Found a Tegenaria(thats what is right :confused:?), not sure what species, in my back garden and I'd like to keep it because of the webs they make and the size they can get to, can someone confirm that this is a Tegenaria and if so what species.
Also is this setup alright for it ?
Im guessing its a juvenile/sling ?

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It might be Tegenaria, but considering how many species there are out there that look similar (like dozens of grass spider species) I can't be positive...especially from a location like Ireland! :eek:

But if it is a Tegenaria spider, it reminds me of what I believe are Tegenaria agrestis here in my yard. There's just no easy way to tell from looks alone. Maybe with a close up of the eye arrangement you could narrow it down.

marclar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, I wasnt too sure about the shape of the body, I've had it in the container for a few hours now, should it have started webbing ? because it hasn't.

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm, I had a Tegenaria gigantea female who didn't web for the time that I had her. Maybe stressed out, or the enclosure material isn't letting the silk stick? Because she wasn't building a decent web, I let her back outside.

The spider I suspect to be T. agrestis that I have in captivity happily made webbing. It might just need more time.

Sometimes it takes a night of settling in to do the trick.

marclar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Best picture I could get of the fella', hes small and wont stay still for a picture, so heres the best I could do for now.
Hope this can help to id.
EDIT: I've been looking at some pictures and it's starting to look more similar to a grass spider :-/, but I'm no expert.
http://bugguide.net/node/view/84423#Agelenidae

Last edited:

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It'd be better to find a list of spiders in Ireland to look through, since bugguide.net is spiders from North America...

I'm sure someone can find a checklist!

marclar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have spiders from great britain and Ireland on google books, I'll have a look now, I forgot I had it.