A long continuous journey

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I want to dedicate this post to share my most recent on-going continuous journey of keeping tarantulas, and how my perspective changed about matured male tarantulas.

A little note about myself is, I am the type of the person who goes for a smallest sling, and enjoy the time taking for it to grow in size while watching, observing it.

On 04/01/2018, I purchased Theraphosa blondi from local importer / breeder, with such a high hope, this tarantula may turns out to a female, as always.

IMG_6432.jpeg

But, nope. I ended up with the matured male Theraphosa blondi in the end. In fact, it was my first ever matured male. This gave me four options to choose from:
  1. Keep this matured male tarantula till it dies
  2. Sell / trade it
  3. Get a matured female, and try to breed
  4. Send it away for a breeding loan
I decided to trade it.

On 01/30/2021, I traded my matured male Theraphosa blondi with an unsexed Poecilotheria rufilata.

IMG_6433.jpeg

It was quite the remarkable experience to keep this species as I was watching it grow.

On 08/12/2022, it turned out to be a matured male, yet again.

IMG_6434.jpeg

I felt like, I could do this all day. It was another time to choose how to go about it with this matured one. For this time around, I decided to try a breeding loan.

I messaged several users on Arachnoboards, who are keeping Poecilotheria rufilata matured female.

On 08/29/2022, I sent my matured male Poecilotheria rufilata to another user with the matured female Poecilotheria rufilata, with the term:
  1. I send my male for a free
  2. If successful, all I want is a couple of slings back
IMG_6435.jpeg

It did arrive safe and sound, and also had a successful mating.

On 01/30/2023, the egg sac was pulled, and 03/09/2023, many turned into second insta slings.

IMG_6436.jpeg

IMG_6437.jpeg

On 04/06/2023, I received two very healthy Poecilotheria rufilata slings and successfully rehoused.

IMG_6438.jpeg

This five years worth of tarantula keeping journey was, and is still very overwhelming joy to me.

Now, I will have another fun time raising these two slings, with hoping one turns out to be a female, and even if not, I would still be very excited to unveil my unknown future.

Metal Webber

Arachnopeon
Congrats!🎉 what a wonderful adventure you’ve gone through for those slings I really hope you end up with a female!😁

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
its like that tick, trick and track story i read as a child where they trade a broken pencil for something better, and better until they get cruise-ship tickets

nice

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Luck of the draw, really. For me, I've yet to actually live through the experience of raising a spider that turns out to be a male. Good on you for sending your rufilata male to allow him to do what he was meant to. No doubt, these two slings he produced will be a joy to raise, with the hope that at least one of them turns out to be female. Let us know in the end.

waynerowley

Arachnosquire
I’ve raised most of my Ts from slings and it’s fascinating to see what turns out male or female. So far I‘ve had a p. Machalla and y. Diversipes confirmed as female, and a. Purpurea, GBB (Im not typing even half its proper name lol) and t. albo confirmed as male, thought not yet mature.

As I’m not allowed to breed Ts (says my arachnophobia wife) my plan is to reach out to breeders once my males mature.

The rest I haven’t been able to confirm either way yet (due to size).

Wayne

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Its always nice doing trades like this! You make me feel like I should do post like this too of my activities in this hobby! Thanks for sharing!

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
This sort of scenario is something I've been concerned with as someone whose collection is almost entirely comprised of slings/juveniles grown up from slings (The T in my avatar is the one exception-was purchased as a sexed juvenile female and is now a SAF female as per her most recent molt). It's why I have multiples of many species in my collection, but even then I only have 2 individuals for most of those multiples (C. lividus and the new H. macs are trios), and I don't like buying more slings than I'm interested in just so I can increase my odds of getting a female.

No doubt a fair number of my slings will turn out to be males. I just hope I can find enough people interested in breeding those particular species when that time comes.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My collection always expanded when I had a MM of any species. Far too many are concerned with getting a female.

Males are great- they will die soon, and I can get another T sooner not decades later 🤣