6 inch Heros never molts

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got a 6 inch heros, and it never molts! Ive had it for close to a year now, and this is the main reason I leave non tarantulas alone. Out of my 2 centipedes, and 11 scorpions Ive had, not a single one has ever molted!

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What tempurature are thay at ? My Gigantea did not eat since November.Yesterday I put it in my bedroom window since it was a rare sunny day. It started eating after an hour or so! How is it eating ?

Bob

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It eats about 4 crickets a month... sometimes more. temp is about 80 degrees

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Scorpions don't molt after reaching maturity, so if your scorpions are adults they won't molt again.

Adult centipedes do molt, but they eat their exoskeleton afterwards. Has your pede spent any significant time hidden? It may have molted without you knowing.

If you're centipede is a true 6" (as with snakes, size tends to be exagetrated in discussions of centipedes) it's proably an adult and is not going to molt frequently. Not molting in the year you've had it isn't unusual for an adult centipede. Although I've all kinds of wild claims for S. heros regarding size (10",12" and up), the vast majority ive seen are less than 7". People are either not estimating accurately or else they're including the terminal legs in length.

Wade

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wade said:
Scorpions don't molt after reaching maturity, so if your scorpions are adults they won't molt again.

Adult centipedes do molt, but they eat their exoskeleton afterwards. Has your pede spent any significant time hidden? It may have molted without you knowing.

If you're centipede is a true 6" (as with snakes, size tends to be exagetrated in discussions of centipedes) it's proably an adult and is not going to molt frequently. Not molting in the year you've had it isn't unusual for an adult centipede. Although I've all kinds of wild claims for S. heros regarding size (10",12" and up), the vast majority ive seen are less than 7". People are either not estimating accurately or else they're including the terminal legs in length.

Wade
Lot to think about here... As far as my scorps, only one is an adult, the rest are like 2 inches. My centipede on the other hand, I dont remember it being hidden for any length of time, and I say 6-7 inches is pretty acurate to its length.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Then I think your centipede is probably mature and just hasn't molted yet. As with tarantulas, they molt less frequently as they age, and it's not unusual for them to go a long time between molts.

What kind of scorpions? Many species are adults at two inches. If they're emporors or something like that, obviously they've got growing to do. I've noticed, however, that P. imperiator babies raised separate from the mother grow MUCH more slowly than those raised together with mom. Not sure why, but I've had babies mature in 2 years kept in a group, but I've got a 3 year old that's by itself that's barely 3 inches!

Wade

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the scorpions are red devils, a death stalker, black thicktail spitter, yellow thicktail spitter, and a flatrock