Ziggy (C. Versicolour) has a problem

vertrose

Arachnopeon
i got Ziggy (Carabena Versicolour) when s/he was a sling back in October of 2018, and managed to raise it up all the way up to this point. Was always a good feeder and always had a spunky sort of character. But with this last molt which was about 2 weeks ago, she started acting a little off. Today I found her(hoping) kinda slumped down at the bottom of her enclosure and acting very sluggish. The Enclosure was a little dry, but with the hot weather weve been having lately ive been doing my best to keep up on the humidity. I misted down the enclosure well hoping that would perk her up, I let a few hours pass but there was no change in her position or activity. i managed to get her out of the corner, and into a container with some wet paper towel. Id like to be clear I had to actually pick her up to move her and the most movement she made was lifting up her legs a bit and that was about it. It didnt seem like she could lift herself up at all. I put her front on the wet paper towel and her back half on a fake leaf so her lungs wouldnt get waterlogged. I took these pics just before setting her up in what i guess would be an ICU.

(4 pics on imgur link)

Any tips or advice would be very helpful

-I should also mention shes not eaten yet. I had put a prekilled superworm in there about a week ago and she hadnt touched it.-

Last edited:

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Take out of icu. Also.. misting and keeping your avic in a damp environment is a big no no. Combine that with heat and it makes stuffy conditions which is among one of the leading causes of avic deaths. Keep on dry sub with nothing more than a water dish.

vertrose

Arachnopeon
okay. Will change that right now. Thank you. I had been keeping her on the moister side since she seemed to be thriving in it with no problem..

Craig73

Arachnoangel
On top of that try putting a drop of water on her mouth to see if she’ll drink? If she hasn’t eaten since her molt or drank there could be some hydration issues.

vertrose

Arachnopeon
I had put a couple of drops on her mouth when I transferred her initially to the other container, she did seem to drink some of it, but not all of it. Shes now on dry substrate with a water dish near her. ive also covered the enclosure so shes in the dark.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I had put a couple of drops on her mouth when I transferred her initially to the other container, she did seem to drink some of it, but not all of it. Shes now on dry substrate with a water dish near her. ive also covered the enclosure so shes in the dark.
No need to cover. Just make sure she has lots of adequate ventilation. It almost sounds like she got too stuffy and needs some air to breath. Turning off the lights will do just fine.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Was hard to tell, the pics where from the icu? What’s the actual enclosure look like?

vertrose

Arachnopeon
Shes not in there right now, since i kinda destroyed all the webbing she had in there trying to get her out of the corner. Do not feel safe putting her back in there. shes in a similiar one currently thats long rather than tall since that one has about the same amount of ventilation.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Definitely would follow Poonjab’s advice and the link provided. Your Avic sounds like it reached the breaking point with the humidity. Dry substraight, good cross ventilation (which to me you have) and a water dish is all that’s needed; no more misting. That’s how I keep my avics.

vertrose

Arachnopeon
I know ventilation is impotartant for most if not all species, so i do my best to make sure every enclosure I have has lots of ventilation. Ive even got a small usb fan blowing across the front of the shelves that all my spiders are on. Ive got 9 of em. my youngest is a golden red rump whos maybe 1 inch now, to my oldest, a chilean rose whos atleast 15 yrs. Ziggy was one of three of my first introduction to slings, the other two are a G Pulchra and an Iridescent Blue, and theyre thriving quite well. Ive got new enclosures in the works for the Ziggy and GP and IB, but with the troubles going on in the world theyre a bit in limbo right now.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Nice! I have 4 avics, a gbb, and p Metallica. Shooting for two more avics (y. diversipes and purpurea) just nothing on the market that I’ve found yet. There’s a couple other genus I’m eyeing, just gotta figure out space...always the issue, ha.

vertrose

Arachnopeon
Nice. :) the other 3 that i have are a Guyana Pinktoe, was a petco rescue, something was going on with one of its legs that seemed to resolve itself after it molted a few weeks after I got it home, an Avic Minatrix, and a B Boehmei.

vertrose

Arachnopeon
took a quick check on Ziggy, and shes kind of lifted all her legs up in the air, shes still settled on her stomach. No real change or improvement.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Minatrix here too! He’s been closed off in his his for a week or so. The other three I have are A. Avic m6, Kwitara and C. Versicolor. Love the avics. Like terrestrials but everyone that I want seems to be $200+ for slings. Honestly I have a phobia of spiders, so I go for the bright fuzzy ones.

vertrose

Arachnopeon
you may have a phobia of spiders, but it seems like youre trying your best to overcome that. :) My dream Ts are G Pulchra(fortunate to find from Fearnot) and id love to get a skeleton T (E. Murinus) but right now getting more Ts is not an option. too much going on and space like most things is at a premium in a small apartment.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I tried T’s about 5 years ago but wasn’t ready. This go around I really have grown. A lot of research has helped; if I gotta go hands on to aid one I’d totally be able to do it now.

Nice Find on the G. Pulchra. All my T’s have been from FN so far. Keeping an eye on the classifieds here now too. But yeah, space issues blow.

Rooting for your little buddy to get back to normal. I’m no expert, but Ziggy is a versi red color form? Beautiful animal.

vertrose

Arachnopeon
I have no idea to be honest if Zig is a red form. All my T's aside from the Old Lady(Keeran) have come from FearNot. She wasnt advertised as a red form that i can recall, i just really liked the colours, especially as a sling, she was my little blue zebra babby for a while till she took on her more adult colours.