Zebra?? Or...?

Tarantulasse

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This was sold to my boyfriend awhile back and was labeled "zebra." I have never seen a pic I thought quite looked like this one though. What do you guys think? This is some sorta zebra or maybe something else?? It doesn't look like a Costa Rican Zebra to me...but I'm kinda an amateur... :?

Fred

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
not costa rican zebra

That is not a costa rican zebra( aphonopelma seemanni). the spinnerts look black on that T, on aphonopelma seemanni they are tan colored.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There are two Ts that are commonly sold in pet stores as "Zebra."

A. seemani is known as the "Costa Rican Zebra" and has tan spinnerets and underside.

The other is known as the "Pink Zebra Beauty" and has dark spinnerets and underside.

grockl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is the T somewhat blue black with stripping on the knees? Has it molted? Is it quite skittish, pacing the enclosure when you go in to do things?
It has the characteristics of a few T's and I would wait, if it hasn't molted then post pics. Save the molt There are some guys who can id them accratley from the molts.
I'll tell you it is not a Aphonopelma seemanni ................................................hopefuly. :D

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Zebra ??

I hate to speculate from just a photo but, when I saw this I instantly thought Acanthoscurria geniculata. :?

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Greg Wolfe said:
I hate to speculate from just a photo but, when I saw this I instantly thought Acanthoscurria geniculata. :?
she does'nt look at all like a geniculata

grockl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Greg Wolfe said:
Acanthoscurria geniculata. :?
White knee? I would wait before jumping to ID's. Wild speculations will only get you poked in the eye. :embarrassed: I've read to many ID threads where people simply shout the only names they know.
Cheers Gary

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hahaha ... that does'nt look at like like a wolf spider too, my guess would be a scorpion Deathstalker

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i bow before your obviously superiour arachno-knowledge
*bow*
:worship:

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
If you were sold that as a Zebra then I think that you have been well conned, because thats like no zebra I have ever seen! For a start it has 8 legs and a zebra only has 4 pluss the fact that what you have is some kind of spider where as a zebra is a mammal which is very horse like and comes from Africa! :D

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think I got a point

maybe his name "zebra" mean that she can eat zebra ?? after the bird eating spider, chicken spider, here's the zebra spider
try feeding her a zebra you will see

Last edited:

Tarantulasse

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hahahah Thanks guys :) ...yeah I'm tottally at a loss as to what it is....but it hasn't molted since my boyfriend has had it.....he actually went with his borther a long time ago to get it, that's how he knows it was labeled "zebra" but he just inherited it recently....since his brother got bored of it I guess....We've been staring at it...and I was pretty sure it's wasn't a costa rican zebra...and I know it's not an A. geniculata....cause my boyfriend has a huge female of those....

It's just weird....I will try to get some clearer pics of it in a couple days...I'm at a loss as to what it could be....

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
My guess would be Pink Zebra Beauty, or E. campestratus. That's just a guess mind you, but that's what it looks like to me. :D

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yanno, that looks like a Grammostola chalcothrix (?sp)...
maybe one mixed with a g.rosea or a g mendezae (?sp again).
Can you mix them????? Me<----dumbell.

No, I think it's a g.chalcothrix....adoodlerixetsaechalcocopuffs...whatever :)
That's what it is :p

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I think Tarantulasse needs to give us some better pictures!!