Yup! There is now an App for your Tarantulas!

Sweepstakes

Arachnopeon
Android user here:

Sounds like a great app and I wish I could take advantage of it, but I understand how app development works and I understand the limitations of small development. Maybe one day!

As far as suggestions go for the future, maybe a comprehensive molt table/timeline so you can enter the dates your T's molted to track the time between molts as slings/juvies and when your adult T's molt so you know for sure where they are in their molt cycle? If enough people in the T community use something like that we could possibly compile the data together on a few select species and get a better feel for how those T's grow aside from the "usually molt around once a month as slings" idea. That, and the option to upload personal pictures of your T's to their app logs. I apologize if any of these have already been mentioned or are in effect since I can't actually check the out app at this point. The pics look solid though. Great work!

MrWindupBird

Arachnopeon
Android user here:

Sounds like a great app and I wish I could take advantage of it, but I understand how app development works and I understand the limitations of small development. Maybe one day!

As far as suggestions go for the future, maybe a comprehensive molt table/timeline so you can enter the dates your T's molted to track the time between molts as slings/juvies and when your adult T's molt so you know for sure where they are in their molt cycle? If enough people in the T community use something like that we could possibly compile the data together on a few select species and get a better feel for how those T's grow aside from the "usually molt around once a month as slings" idea. That, and the option to upload personal pictures of your T's to their app logs. I apologize if any of these have already been mentioned or are in effect since I can't actually check the out app at this point. The pics look solid though. Great work!
So the app has a great record keeping interface - you can track weight, size, vet care, and general status - with general status being completely customizable - you can add any general status record you would like to track - adding records for each part of the molting cycle if you would like..

Here is a screen of all the different records you can keep:

One thing I would like to do for a future release is to add the ability to graph arbitrary status records... currently, there is a nice interface for graphing size and weight over time, but for tarantulas, it would be neat to maybe create a pie chart which graphs the percentage of time spent in each molt cycle... one of the difficulties with this, other than coming up with an interface for graphing arbitrary values, is that I believe molting is more of a gradual migration between each cycle, and not really easy to determine the entry points of each cycle.

Here is a screen shot of the current graphing abilities:

kitkatie

Arachnopeon
Is there any way to view my pets by group? It would make things so much better than being scattered between rats, T's, etc.

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have that phone , I got this app, it is awesome sauce ..

sarahanita

Arachnopeon
Loving this app. If you added the ability to sync between iPhone and iPad through iCloud or something I would just be in heaven

MrWindupBird

Arachnopeon
Loving this app. If you added the ability to sync between iPhone and iPad through iCloud or something I would just be in heaven
I will be adding iCloud support in the next update - which will indeed support syncing between multiple devices and backing up to the cloud - I will hopefully be submitting for review by the end of this week (6/22) - the current app review time is about 5 business days - so look for the new version in a couple of weeks.

I am also gonna try to add support for basic printing from the iPhone - so you can print out reports - it's kinda counter intuitive - as the main purpose of the app is to get rid of paper, but I have had a lot of requests for printing capabilities...

Lots more planned for the future! Also, anytime someone tries to lookup a species that is not found in my database, I am notified and immediately go look it up and add it to the database - this is mostly for the more rare species - especially those that are not currently recognized by the WSC.

---------- Post added 06-19-2012 at 09:27 PM ----------

Is there any way to view my pets by group? It would make things so much better than being scattered between rats, T's, etc.
There is no way to actually view Pets by group at the moment - but you can view Records by groups and type - I am adding that to my feature requests - also if you don't mind, send this request in a little message using the feedback link on the About page - as this is the best way to guarantee I see the request.

Dr Who

Arachnopeon
Sounds great!

i bought it a week or 2 ago, kept crashing when i tried to ''add size field''
so haven't played around with it much since, hopefully after the update time i will!
It's a nice app with lots of potential

MrWindupBird

Arachnopeon
Sounds great!

i bought it a week or 2 ago, kept crashing when i tried to ''add size field''
so haven't played around with it much since, hopefully after the update time i will!
It's a nice app with lots of potential
The issue with crashing when adding/deleting the size field has been fixed.

---------- Post added 07-10-2012 at 08:57 PM ----------

A new version of Pet Pal (ver. 1.2) is now available on the app store.

New features include:

- Printing support: Print out reports for each pet as well as each habitat.
- Improved feeding records module - new feeding records are based on previous records - making it quicker to add new records. Also, new "feeding successful" field has been add.
- Price paid and estimated value fields added for each pet.
- Bug fixes : all known bugs (not the kind we like) - have been fixed.

Previously I had talked about adding support for iCloud - mainly to enable data sharing across multiple devices. Unfortunately, this feature has not made it into this release - but is still being investigated for upcoming versions. It ends up not being a trivial feature to implement - especially with regards to typical user expectations - I can go into boring details if anyone is interested - but I feel the technology as implemented by Apple, is not quite ready for released apps.