your sketchy rehouse storys!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
what was the sketchiest rehousing youve ever had? mine was a 4 inch p.murinus.it was the second t i ever owned and the first to ever bite me. i bought it from a friend the day it bit me while helping him with his collection.after seeing the effects of its venom he wanted it gone and with me loving all thats venomous i had to have it once i found out it could hurt me. all you psyc majors feel free to read into the above statement any way you choose lol. any way i had it for about 2 months and it was still in the enclosure that i bought with the t from my buddy.i hate critter keepers so i bought a 5g tank as soon as i could. i rushed home from the petstore setup its new enclosure and put both setups side by side on my bed. the plan was to walk it out of its old cage up the side of the new one and done...she was in full threat display from the second i lifted her enclosure to the bed so i had a catch cup and tongs ready..i popped the top off the kk and slowly touched her back leg with the tongs she swung slapped the tongs and was at my finger tips so fast that i shrieked in pure horror. i flicked my wrist and flung her...luckily that reaction is no longer a part of my muscle memory any more and i havnt chucked a t in years! any way she landed on my bed. i tried to get my c cup over her and she ran in a furious blur under my bed...i grabbed my cup knelt down she was right at the edge of my box spring showing a threat display reminiscent of somebody going threw an exorcist so i slowly put the cup over her she attacked the edge of the cup ran in and out before i could react and climbed it..i flung her again...my bad just my natural reaction at the time...this time she hit the door. the cup hit the ceiling and broke into three pieces it was a glass drinking cup...i looked for something else to catch her in...the only thing i had was the k keeper..i dumped it on my floor and flipped it over and ran at her she was just sitting there shiny toe pads a hint of orange and fangs...in one motion i went from running to sliding and covered her with the k keeper.as soon as my knees hit the floor i knew i hadnt escaped this event uninjured.. i had a chunk of glass wedged in my knee..luckily there wasnt much blood because the 2 inch piece of glass was wedged in there about a half inch deep...i put the top on the kritter keeper went to the hospital where i lied and said o i just dropped a cup and shanked my knee while cleaning it up. i took home 9 stitches and prescription for tylenol 3s. the doctor was cool and the meds were nice so not a bad trip.. i rehoused her the next day without incident now that the substrate had been tossed on my floor it was easy to just put my catch cup over her in the kritter keeper...well thats mine please share yours. thanks guys have fun with this!

Last edited:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I predict that one is going to be a little tough to top... flung twice, injuries resulting in a trip to the emergency room and receiving stitches. All from an OBT that had tagged you in the past
I have just one bit of constructive criticism. Next time you have a moderately lengthy post, put in a paragraph break or two, that was a little difficult to read. Fear not, it was worth the effort though.

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
what was the sketchiest rehousing youve ever had? mine was a 4 inch p.murinus.it was the second t i ever owned and the first to ever bite me. i bought it from a friend the day it bit me while helping him with his collection.after seeing the effects of its venom he wanted it gone and with me loving all thats venomous i had to have it once i found out it could hurt me. all you psyc majors feel free to read into the above statement any way you choose lol. any way i had it for about 2 months and it was still in the enclosure that i bought with the t from my buddy.i hate critter keepers so i bought a 5g tank as soon as i could. i rushed home from the petstore setup its new enclosure and put both setups side by side on my bed. the plan was to walk it out of its old cage up the side of the new one and done...she was in full threat display from the second i lifted her enclosure to the bed so i had a catch cup and tongs ready..i popped the top off the kk and slowly touched her back leg with the tongs she swung slapped the tongs and was at my finger tips so fast that i shrieked in pure horror. i flicked my wrist and flung her...luckily that reaction is no longer a part of my muscle memory any more and i havnt chucked a t in years! any way she landed on my bed. i tried to get my c cup over her and she ran in a furious blur under my bed...i grabbed my cup knelt down she was right at the edge of my box spring showing a threat display reminiscent of somebody going threw an exorcist so i slowly put the cup over her she attacked the edge of the cup ran in and out before i could react and climbed it..i flung her again...my bad just my natural reaction at the time...this time she hit the door. the cup hit the ceiling and broke into three pieces it was a glass drinking cup...i looked for something else to catch her in...the only thing i had was the k keeper..i dumped it on my floor and flipped it over and ran at her she was just sitting there shiny toe pads a hint of orange and fangs...in one motion i went from running to sliding and covered her with the k keeper.as soon as my knees hit the floor i knew i hadnt escaped this event uninjured.. i had a chunk of glass wedged in my knee..luckily there wasnt much blood because the 2 inch piece of glass was wedged in there about a half inch deep...i put the top on the kritter keeper went to the hospital where i lied and said o i just dropped a cup and shanked my knee while cleaning it up. i took home 9 stitches and prescription for tylenol 3s. the doctor was cool and the meds were nice so not a bad trip.. i rehoused her the next day without incident now that the substrate had been tossed on my floor it was easy to just put my catch cup over her in the kritter keeper...well thats mine please share yours. thanks guys have fun with this!
im just surprised your OBT survived after the second fling against the door!

KcFerry

Arachnosquire
That's too funny yoyotitis...

I've chased a few obt's and poeci's around my bathroom, but nothing like that!
I've come to both love and respect my feisty little scrappers, but I take great care in dealing with them outside of their enclosures.
Other than my obt jumping onto my shirt and doing a few lap's around my body before jumping off, my re-housings have been pretty uneventful.

Maybe if I were more prone to panicking, I'd have some better stories. LOL

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Well I cannot top that, I don't use glass catch cups since I have to drop them sometimes to avoid getting bitten. And that could kill the T :( or cut me up real bad.
Plastic & Styrofoam catch cups work for me lately :) .
I had both Male & female OBT trying to bite me on both sides of catch cup, when getting the male out once. Definitively got close to getting nailed, both were biting like crazy :) And I lost my feeding tongs so had to use my hands to grab cup & paintbrush to block OBT.

Male & female OBT trying to bite you at the same time is no fun....

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I predict that one is going to be a little tough to top... flung twice, injuries resulting in a trip to the emergency room and receiving stitches. All from an OBT that had tagged you in the past
I have just one bit of constructive criticism. Next time you have a moderately lengthy post, put in a paragraph break or two, that was a little difficult to read. Fear not, it was worth the effort though.
lol im not much of writer...thanks for the advice..i had her for 6yrs after that she was.always a healthy t...u dont have to top it ive heard some that were much crazier than mine...one such story involved the fire company!

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
There called flame knees for a reason, those damn Brachypelma pyros causing trouble wherever they go...

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I had just received a P. cambridgei. I unpacked everything else in there without a problem. P. irminia and T. gigas were really easy going so i was surprised by him. I opened the vial and started to pull out the paper towel but he didn't like that. He ran out and up my arm before I could react. He stopped on my back where he proceeded to make a nice threat posture and slapped once. After five minutes of me trying to remain calm he slowly walked around me and strolled into his new home. Not the worst experience but not the best.

I also had a huge Pampho girl that I picked up at my LPS and she was bitey and runny.

keeper2013

Arachnopeon
When I got my MM Lampropelma sp. Borneo Black and unpacked him, he acted like he knew what to do. It was very easy to get him into his home. Today I decided to move him to a shark tank so I can put him in with he female tomorrow. I opened his lid and he was all balled up/stretched out like they get. Gentle nudge and he slowly walked up his tank and right into the small shark tank. Nothing could have been easier. These being OW with all the bad reputation, neither one of them has ever bolted or even moved fast when I'm around them. Never a threat pose. True this could get me into trouble working with another OW, but as for these two they act like a couple tame/gentle rose hairs. I treat every T I have with a gentle touch and respect. I know many of you will not agree with this, but they seem to know I am not a threat. The only T I have that I'm careful around is my "maybe gravid" porteri. She is just crazy !! I hope this changes a little of the bad rap on OWs.

sezra

Arachnosquire
I've got nothing on your story, but I rehoused my OBT today actually. She likes to run rather than stand her ground and fight, so ended up using a catch cup to scoop her off of the ceiling. It went smooth enough. She didnt want to leave that cup though so I just left her inside and placed it in her new enclosure.

Hopefully she'll find her new hide tonight so I can reclaim my catch cup :p

fingers crossed, she'll continue to be cooperative in the future.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
These being OW with all the bad reputation, neither one of them has ever bolted or even moved fast when I'm around them. .
My 6" p.regalis female is exactly the same. Give her the respect she needs (Which I do) and she's never bolted one, never shown speed, and I've had her since a 2nd instar. I mean I obviously know that she could bolt at any time she wants, but I'm not that stupid to handle her.