Your least favorite tarantula species (or specimen) to rehouse?

Royalty

Arachnoknight
My rehouses even with the crazier ones have not been too bad. Not really looking forward to the S.cal to rehouse. She is small now but I am sure when it comes time to move her out it is going to be a bit difficult.

I love my OB fossorials but they are a bit more annoying to rehouse. I had to dig out my I.Mira. (she had a one way burrow) It was not hard once I got her out but it was a bit annoying to do all the digging.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Wow! That sounds like fun! 😂

Luckily, I haven't had to rehouse mine in about a year (might have to soon-ish. Just molted and getting big but...) the last time, I moved around the cork bark and she came out of her burrow in the most dramatic threat pose! My boyfriend said it looked like she "emerged with victory."

And, she was still angry in her catch cup ten minutes later, when I was ready to transfer her to the new enclosure. 😆

View attachment 361237
They sound related :rofl:

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
Hello beautiful people!

I thought this might be a fun topic, for the people that have lots of rehouses under their belt - can also be a rehouse that you are not looking forward to at all ;). I'll be honest that most of my rehouses haven't been very spectacular... as it should be. If possible, I'll put the old enclosure into the new one and let the T come out and explore on its own terms, then remove the old enclosure. I still have 1 "old" and 1 upcoming story though:

1.) My very first T, a B. smithi sling, that came in an arboreal glass enclosure. Seller told me it was a "rearing terrarium", meant to raise a sling to an adult - complete bs of course. Since the terra was way too big and open, the little brown sling dug a tunnel to the very bottom, sealed it up and didn't show for 3 months. As a starter, I was pretty paranoid about it molting and wanted to play it safe by not disturbing it too much. Finally, I decided to rehouse it into a tiny critter keeper. It was a bathtub jumpscare fest, where I "gently" tried to flood out the Brachy sling and it shot in and out of the burrow constantly. I was finally able to seal up the catch cup, when it shot out of the burrow and realized how shaky and sweaty I was - plus my back was killing me from being bent over the bathtub for a long time. I really didn't want to accidentally hurt the T.

2.) Is an upcoming Thrixopelma ockerti rehouse that will probably be no problem, but I'm not looking forward to. The species name may already give the reason away. I would still call her a sling that is approaching juvie stage and she is a kicker like no other. Raising her little butt whenever I glance at the enclosure. Every feeding and watering means non-stop hairing. I bought her at an expo a few weeks ago (butt already hairless) and she came in a pretty small plastic enclosure that she already molted in now. Whenever she is not kicking hairs, she is bolting in a circle. Definitely not going to be a highlight...

Apologies if there are similar threads already, but all I could find in a quick search was threads about least favorite Ts in general. I'd be very interested to hear your stories!
100% my P. irminia

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I dunno, mine are all fine. Digging a fossorial out always sucks tho.

I just go slow and take my time these days and my rehousings have been relatively chill.

ChaosSphere

Arachnosquire
Worst rehouse was the P. regalis I received last week.
The C. huahini was not an issue, neither was the Chaetopelma, but the regalis decided to go for a walk.

The one I'm looking forward to the least is my T. okerti who seems to be bringing mold with her when ever I rehouse her or clean out her terrarium.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
A what?.....keeping in mind im a 65 year old American living in Colorado.
It's a reference to the Dead Space games, Twitcher Necromorphs are basically infected individuals that have fused with their on-board stasis units which causes them move unnaturally fast and in an extremely erratic manner.

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
I dunno, mine are all fine. Digging a fossorial out always sucks tho.

I just go slow and take my time these days and my rehousings have been relatively chill.
I only have one fossorial at the moment (female C. marshalli) that I haven’t had to move since reaching adult size but from what I’ve researched she will probably be a breeze compared to other OW fossorials.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I only have one fossorial at the moment (female C. marshalli) that I haven’t had to move since reaching adult size but from what I’ve researched she will probably be a breeze compared to other OW fossorials.
The only part that sucked with my C darlingi was kneeling on the bathroom floor while I slowy scooped out all the dirt and my spiderlings squeezed themselves deeper into the bottom and I tried not to injure them. That took like a half hour. After I reached them, I just scooped them out and put them in their new enclosures, but my back was sore from leaning over the bathtub for so long (I rehoused 3 fossorials that day).

I am thirty or forty and I do not need this.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I rehoused 2 pokies earlier this summer and both were stupidly easy. My Rufilata behaved like a Brachypelma or Grammastola and just slowly crawled from one to the next, my regalia we did 'cage in cage' and it just moved itself in. OBTs were always the most stressful, and the way the small ones can bolt makes it even worse

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I had to dig my p irminia up last time. Wasn't expecting that. She ran out onto the floor but I brushed her into a catch up so it wasn't too bad. She isn't too bad but I am more nervous based on what I have been told of this species. I don't feel I can trust her to be easy. Other psalmopoeus have been a bit more laid back

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My adult female P. muticus was particularly stubborn when I moved her to her permanent home. Lots of hissing, slapping, and striking....but at least no clouds of itchy hairs, and no teleporting....but surprisingly strong. Chaetopelma olivaceum were probably my worst though, fast and defensive, and quite uncooperative...good thing I have a rehousing bin. It's amazing watching a spider do three laps before you can even figure out what just happened lol.

Gabenga

Arachnopeon
P.Irminia definietelly. When i recieved it, it played dead, than bolted in the terrarium, ran like 4 rounds in it, than out in the carpet, up the courtain. Oh boy, was it fun chasing it around. Not looking forward for the next rehouse. The funny thing is, i have a Balfouri, and thats so less stressfull, its so calm and less likely to bolt, or do a threat posture. It's supposed to be an old world, but my LP is more scarier in every way. The thing is, you dont know what the irminia will do, its just so random and full of anger, hatred and maybe a little bit of sadism.

Last edited:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
The only part that sucked with my C darlingi was kneeling on the bathroom floor while I slowy scooped out all the dirt and my spiderlings squeezed themselves deeper into the bottom and I tried not to injure them. That took like a half hour. After I reached them, I just scooped them out and put them in their new enclosures, but my back was sore from leaning over the bathtub for so long (I rehoused 3 fossorials that day).

I am thirty or forty and I do not need this.
yeah, I am not looking forward to rehousing my darlingi, she is now big enough to be pretty cranky

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
My three Euthycaelus colonica have given me the most trouble. So bolty! And they’re small enough to hide in the nooks and crannies of my rehousing bin. When I moved the last one I just left its old enclosure in the new one, and the spider still uses the old cup as its headquarters.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
My three Euthycaelus colonica have given me the most trouble. So bolty! And they’re small enough to hide in the nooks and crannies of my rehousing bin. When I moved the last one I just left its old enclosure in the new one, and the spider still uses the old cup as its headquarters.
I went to check out an E colonicus at the LPS. The hapless employee was like "wanna see it?", opened up the lid, and poked at the substrate. The visual of that critter leaping out of the deli cup and shooting off of the checkout counter is forever seared in my memory. I ended up helping her cup it and put it back into the enclosure. It was leaking hemolymph from one joint.

Once I vent sexed it as female, my friend showed up to purchase it. She had a male at home that had just matured.

After the transaction, she revealed that she had purchased him months earlier from the same place, and she only bought him because the exact same thing happened and she felt terrible about it.

E colonicus bolting are no joke. Those things have a death wish.

Last edited:

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
So far, none. The one I was the most nervous about, my N. coloratovillosus, behaved very well for me last week. She kicked hairs like a demon but she moved for me and did exactly what I wanted!