Your keepers

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I don't really have enough to require any downsizing, so for now I will just say that I am reluctantly willing to part with 2 of my 4 P. irminia slings along with my female GBB so she can breed. Outside of those I only have 4 others that I am looking forward to spending a good many years with.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If I had to downsize, I'd keep all the Asians. Chilobrachys, Poecilotheria, Lampropelma, etc.
Asian species are generally the most fun. Aussie T's are a close second. Almost half of my keepers are one of those two. The other half are the great eating NW terrestrials.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would keep at least one female of:
Pamphobeteus
Xenesthis
B. albiceps
B. smithi
B. emilia
G. pulchripes
G. pulchra
G. iheringi
Borneo Black
Chilobrachys
H. gigas
H. mac
Genic
Phormictopus
P. sazimai
My old girls Sericopelma angustum, G. porteri, and C. versicolor
P. jeremyhuffi
M. balfouri

That’s 20 Ts. 20 adult females could be maintained with minimal work, so would not feel like a chore. If that is the goal.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I dont want to answer that....I am going to have to cut back and dreading the decision myself. I have quite a few slings/juvies i want to grow out but dont have the room for more adult enclosures so somethings got to give somewhere...:arghh:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Asian species are generally the most fun. Aussie T's are a close second. Almost half of my keepers are one of those two. The other half are the great eating NW terrestrials.
They have the best behavior imo. Tons of burrowing and webbing.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I dont want to answer that....I am going to have to cut back and dreading the decision myself. I have quite a few slings/juvies i want to grow out but dont have the room for more adult enclosures so somethings got to give somewhere...:arghh:
That's the only reason I don't have a better variety of tarantulas. Also, somehow I finally noticed that you're from my home state of WA :) If only I had a place back home I'd help you out. :sour:

I don't really have enough to require any downsizing, so for now I will just say that I am reluctantly willing to part with 2 of my 4 P. irminia slings along with my female GBB so she can breed. Outside of those I only have 4 others that I am looking forward to spending a good many years with.
I want to clarify that I only have 4 other tarantulas outside of the species mentioned. I'm looking forward to years with all that I hope to keep.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For me it would be all poecs and Xenesthis , then M.balfouri, L.violaceopes, M.robustum, A.ezendami, I.mira, P.canceridies, P.sazami, versicolor, P.muticus, T.gigas. I’d keep the Ts I’ve had from the beginning like my G.poteri Alyss she’s my very first T.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
M.balfouri, L.violaceopes, M.robustum, A.ezendami, I.mira, P.canceridies, P.sazami, versicolor, P.muticus, T.gigas
Everything in bold is what was already on my keeper list :) We definitely have similar tastes.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
If I had to cut my collection down by half then I'd definitely keep:

T. cyaneolum
A. geniculata
Both Avics
All of my Brachys
All of my Psalmos
My female C. versicolor
G. iheringi
N. chromatus
T. stirmi
O. aureotibialis
P. antinous
T. sp. 'Panama
N. incei
H. sp. 'Fire'
C. huahini

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
A. Genic
All the Brachys (6)
N. Tripepii
A. Moderatum
P. Murinus
G. Iheringi
L. Violaceopes
P. Ornata
GBB

Last edited:

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
It is entirely possible that in a year or two I may have to downsize due to space concerns (if we expand our family and we don’t move for example). I have 50 at the moment, so let’s so I downsize to 10, though I will cheat, and keep the slings that don’t take up much room (so that’s three L. klugi, L. difficilis, N. coloratovillosus, G. pulchra, Y. diversipes, A. merianae, P. rufilata, and P. regalis).

well, I would keep the one I have in my office at work, so I will cheat again and keep that one. So that’s my G. rosea female. I’d focus mostly on keeping as may of my interesting females as I could, so I would keep my L. klugi, A. chalcodes, C. cyaneopubescens, D. exilis, N. chromatus, C. versicolor, G. actaeon, P. formosa, P. cambridgei, and Pamphobeteus sp. Machala.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would have to keep the G. rosea "RCF" I've had for 18 years, the 3 B.albopilosum females I've had for 12 years, and the B. sabulosum female I've had for 10 years and then work my way out from there...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've recently decided to downsize my collection. The horde has become a chore and therefore I'm getting rid of most of my collection. The first step to this was deciding what to keep... I gave myself a firm option of two shelf units. This equated to 20 adult tarantulas and a shelf of slings/juvies.

So, the point of this thread. What would you keep if you had to downsize? Whether it be species or individuals, let me know what you'd keep.

Myself, I'll always keep the Nhandu. They're simply fun to keep.
There's only a few on your profile I'd keep. Emilia, GBB and incei for sure. After that balfouri, sazimai and G. sp. "Concepcion"

The rest can go.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
There's only a few on your profile I'd keep. Emilia, GBB and incei for sure. After that balfouri, sazimai and G. sp. "Concepcion"

The rest can go.
My profile is far out of date, haven't fixed that in over a year I think.

My final Keepers List is the following. Of course, all are adult females:

B. emilia
A. chalcodes
C. fimbriatus
P. lugardi
C. darligni
Phlogius sp. "Black Presley"
N. chromatus
E. truculentus
P. scrofa
Nicaraguan B. albopilosum
G. sp. "Concepcion"
G. porteri (my first tarantula)
N. coloratovillosus
B. boehmei

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
That's a very tough question. I hope it never comes to that for me, because having to choose who stays and who goes would really kinda sting.

I know without a shadow of a doubt that I'll never part with my female P. irminia - she was my first T, bought with a jar of spare change a few years back. Raised her from a tiny sling, and she'll be in my collection until she dies, hopefully of old age.

You'd have to physically fight me to part with any of my confirmed females, as well as my 3 unsexed G. pulchra slings and unsexed M. balfouri.

I think the only Ts I could part ways with and not be butthurt about it are my confirmed males, seeing that I'm raising them with the intentions of shipping them off for a hot date when they mature, unless I have a suitable female.