Your first taranula

MerryAdvocado

Arachnopeon
H. chilensis is actually my ultimate choice but I can't find them anywhere so I'm torn between a few other species. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to find one soon
I would definitely recommend getting your first tarantula and then keep an eye out for them, slings come up for sale occasionally. Two years ago I picked up 2 slings for £45 ($65) each, only 0.5cms in size, they are now 2cm legspan lol! Very slow growers. Even as slings, well I guess they're probably juveniles now, they are so docile and slow moving.

If H.chilensis was your ultimate choice you must be looking for a very docile tarantula? I would say the Eupalaestrus campestratus is a good second choice, they are known for being extremely docile and slow growing but aren't a drawf species like the H.chilensis.

Attachments

pongdict

Arachnosquire
H. chilensis is actually my ultimate choice but I can't find them anywhere so I'm torn between a few other species. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to find one soon
It is being offered pre-order for $200 now at a store (whose name is a genus of velvet spiders).

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My first was a rose hair, G. rosea at the time I guess it's G. porteri now. That was over 20 years ago now. I bred her and got over 200 slings that I was giving away to anyone that asked or giving them away to anyone that bought tarantulas at the pet store I worked at.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
It really depends on what spider you want to own.

I started with 2 P. sp. "machala" slings in 2018, which were just the best. Pamphobeteus species start out much larger than most other newworld terrestrial theraphosidae.

So, no worrying whether the prey items are too big, no excessive fasting times or months spent burrowed in the soil. Just feisty eating machienes that grow very quickly.

This species in particular can be kept on the cooler side as well so no worrying about heating in winter. Just all around good times.

They are however quite fast and grow large, something to consider.

MerryAdvocado

Arachnopeon
That would be fantastic if I lived in the USA and not the UK 😂😂😂😂
I saw them available as slings on The Spider Shop just over a year ago, I got my two from Virginiacheeseman, so just keep your eye out for them. Meanwhile, have you decided on your first tarantula yet?

jimmyjohns

Arachnopeon
I was thinking of getting a Caribena Versicolor as my first, unless someone warns otherwise.

pongdict

Arachnosquire
I was thinking of getting a Caribena Versicolor as my first, unless someone warns otherwise.
Read this. C versicolor and Avic care is the same.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
MF P. Terror / P. murinus with bad substrate. She was a rescue, so I went straight into the deep end

gsepanik

Arachnopeon
My First T was a juvenile A. Avicularia that was around the proper size for a 4x4x8 amac and she is now in a 12x12x18 exo terra and doing amazing. Been well over 2 years I would say. Second T's were 2 OBT slings that have been nothing but a good time since I've gotten the little buggers. Now have around 10 T's

Cecelias lair

Arachnosquire
I saw them available as slings on The Spider Shop just over a year ago, I got my two from Virginiacheeseman, so just keep your eye out for them. Meanwhile, have you decided on your first tarantula yet?
Thanks! I'll keep my eye out on there 😁
If I can't get one of them as my first then it's between 3 choices I'm leaning towards right now.
Aphonopelma chalcodes, Grammostola pulchra and Grammostola pulstripes

MerryAdvocado

Arachnopeon
If I can't get one of them as my first then it's between 3 choices I'm leaning towards right now.
I sometimes feel we are so spoilt with the choice of tarantulas we can keep. Such a huge variety, temperament and aesthetics.

They are all good beginner species. I would be a little bias if I gave you my input here as I've always been very fond of the Grammastola pulchra.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
prior to my first tarantula i had been keeping true spiders and scorpions for a real long time and i didn’t really understand just how different tarantula venom was to scorpion and true spider venom

i was keeping widows and some lethal scorps at the time so i was like super anal about finding *the* beginner T and having something a little more chill than what my collection comprised of at the time - i was nervous about accidentally getting a T with widow/Deathstalker level venom and i had this whole nightmare scenario built up in my head (sounds real dumb now but yes)

did research on some of the species available at the LPS and decided on G. rosea/Chilean Rose Hair - best decision i ever made because it was my most favorite specimen i’ve ever had and i kept them for nearly 15 years

pongdict

Arachnosquire
Between those 3 choices I would choose a Grammostola, A chalcodes grows slower, unless you are getting a juvenile/subadult/adult.

Cecelias lair

Arachnosquire
Between those 3 choices I would choose a Grammostola, A chalcodes grows slower, unless you are getting a juvenile/subadult/adult.
Slow growing is actually a plus for me. 🤣
The place I live right now is a bit crowded and cluttered so one that can stay in a small enclosure for longer will be helpful

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I dont think you understand what that means, the most nerve wrecking parts of raising young spider from their first nympth stage to an adult are the excessive waiting periods/fasting and time spent burrowed or otherwise hidden away.

I would say spiders like Pamphobeteus, Phormictopus or other fast growing ones are much easier to start with unless you get a well started spiderling with a couple molts under the belt or a juvenile.

But thats just my personal opinion.

Cecelias lair

Arachnosquire
I dont think you understand what that means, the most nerve wrecking parts of raising young spider from their first nympth stage to an adult are the excessive waiting periods/fasting and time spent burrowed or otherwise hidden away.

I would say spiders like Pamphobeteus, Phormictopus or other fast growing ones are much easier to start with unless you get a well started spiderling with a couple molts under the belt or a juvenile.

But thats just my personal opinion.
I'm aware these are factors but those aren't really nerve wracking to me. I think what's helped is because I've heard many people mention many times not to worry if they don't eat or hide away loads. I've also had experience with true spiders and I think I've got those initial paranoias out of my system 🤣

LD50

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What is/was your first taranula?
•My first tarantula was an adult female G. rosea back in 2002. Bought her for $13.99

How and why did you make that decision?
•Because it was only 1 of 2 options available, other one was an A. seemanni. I just thought the G. rosea was absolutely beautiful and they were supposedly docile, not the case with mine lol

Would you recommend it as someone else's first?
• Sure! But good luck finding an adult female G. rosea for $13.99. She was a pet rock unless disturbed, she definitely gave me a few threat poses in her lifetime.