Young German Cockroaches found! Now what?

Galadriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
German roaches are a true human pest species. This thread got me thinking and I decided to look up some info on them, especially since I'm keeping roaches as feeders for the first time. This is what I found that helped to shed some light:

http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/urban/roaches/german.htm

If, by some miracle, every last one up and died at once, no species would suffer the loss. And, let's face it...they're gross =)

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Pretending to understand the mental processes of a cockroach does not seem to be a smart man's course of action either.
Says the guy who's giving cockroaches the credit of even having "mental processes" ... :rolleyes: Dude, roaches are merely stimulus/response mechanisms, they aren't sentient in any sense of the word.

I find it entertaining how much of your speech was phrased only to be inflammatory to me. To voice one's opinion on a topic is never inflammatory when you voice it for the sake of getting it out there.

You personally will never stop it. I find you just as offensive and ignorant as you find me.
It was a friendly warning... we give them out all the time, don't flatter yourself. When you interject into a conversation a statement like that that is intended to do nothing but push everyone's buttons, yes, the moderator team here has a problem with that.

I don't find you ignorant... I just think your mouth is writing checks your life experience can't cash.

RedSkies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I used to work in pest control, and German Roaches are the worst. Easier than ants, though. Fortunately the best way to control them isn't spraying pesticides or fumigating. We did all our roach control using baits. You can buy syringes of roach bait at hardware stores and they work well. A professional won't use stuff much better than whats found at the store, but he will be alot better at knowing where to place it effectively. Up to you hif you want to do it yourself. Bait poisons will pose no risk to your T's unless they eat a bug that ate the poison. We even used them around ultra-sensitive reef tanks without ever having a problem.

As for worrying about the bugs how die..uh yeah i guess it does look a bit painful...but you can't live on earth without killing bugs, even if your a vegan, you gonna step on an ant now and then. Glue traps are way meaner than pesticides, it's not like you can free them to go frolick in a meadow or something. ;)

Last edited:

aliceinwl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Back in entomology, I remember our professor going off on a tangent about cockroach control. He mentioned removing all of the kichen drawers and applying insecticide to the backs, where they contact the wall; that got rid of infestations he'd dealt with.

-Alice

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If, by some miracle, every last one up and died at once, no species would suffer the loss.
Actually, I think the exact opposite. It could break the food chain to the point of mankind's end. Maybe not if it happened to just this specie, but loosing all roaches def. would IMHO.
Every specie on earth has it's meaning and place.

p.s. I am sure, that any roach thinks you are gross as well. :?

Galadriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No one was talking about all roaches, the subject is German roaches, which are apparently not able to survive away from humans. I have 2 colonies of feeder NON PEST roaches, and they're just fine with me. I should hope german roaches think I'm gross too, maybe they'll continue to stay out of my home ;)

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Now I have found a couple young German Cockroaches. One was in the Tarantula room. This new home is killing me!!! How should I get rid of them?

:wall:
hi,

have you tried selling them on E-bay?

good luck

Eddy

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Every specie on earth has it's meaning and place........
Except for one, but that is another matter........

Good luck with the roach prob. In my experience getting very anal about cleanliness, and making your home a horrible foodless home for them works pretty good. Coupled with various other fumeless methods listed here you should be fine.

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No one was talking about all roaches, the subject is German roaches, which are apparently not able to survive away from humans.
They were here much sooner than humans, so I am sure they can survive withou us. Actually roaches in genereal are among species with best survival abilities.