You wont wish to be him...

Sting Crazy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with the notion that you might want to stun the animal before giving it to the T. It might not be as facinating to watch, but you wouldn't want to risk losing a favorite pet.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sting Crazy said:
I agree with the notion that you might want to stun the animal before giving it to the T. It might not be as facinating to watch, but you wouldn't want to risk losing a favorite pet.
The method of stunning is extremely cruel.

Jetzie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah i was told to give the mouse a stun b4 putting into the tank. but.. seems cruel.. smacking the head on the wall, knocking it out.. I mean.. im ok with just putting it in the tank , but smacking its head i cant do it.
once i did for stunning was put the mouse in a bag and i spin the bag in full speed for several seconds. the mouse's kindda groggy after tt

evil_educator

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol actually u can break its spine with a single pull then it will die. but thats boring.. so i suggest hitting the head with a big fat spoon. or put it in a piece of cloth, wrap it up then spin it like wheel of fortune.. make it groggy then throw inside...

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A few years ago, back before I discovered frozen/thawed rodents, I used to buy live rodents to feed to my snake (only had one back then...how time flies lol) and then pre-kill them by placing them in a sock and bludgeoning the sock against a hard surface such as a wall....trust me, you'd have to hit like a wussy to just "knock the mouse out." I had a 100% kill rate using this method, and even had a few "overkill" situations where I hit the mouse too hard and busted it open (not pretty!).

I know snakes don't need live prey in order to elicit a feeding response (most, not all) but is it the same with spiders? Would a spider even show any interest in a prey item that wasn't alive? For snakes that need their prey to be "alive" I use hemostats and make the rodent "dance" to make it appear as if the rodent is alive....this usuallly works with great success.....perhaps the same would work for a spider?

FRAZE01

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used to feed my T's a mouse every once in a while,but once they are past fuzzies I would never put a live one in there.It's not worth the chance.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
evil_educator said:
lol actually u can break its spine with a single pull then it will die. but thats boring.. so i suggest hitting the head with a big fat spoon. or put it in a piece of cloth, wrap it up then spin it like wheel of fortune.. make it groggy then throw inside...
I Reiterate My previous statement! :mad:

Lateralus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
evil_educator said:
Come to think of it evil, that's actually pretty interesting. However you left out one tinny little detail. Since when did you ever have the opportunity to actually test out your statement? On your king snake that you only fed pinkies to?

If you could simply arrange for a private screening I’m sure there would be hordes of people queuing up just to catch a glimpse of your "heroics". :worship: :worship: :worship:

That aside, that's a very nice regalis you have Jetzie. How big is she?

Cheers.

Last edited:

vespa_bicolor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
evil_educator said:

Hahaha....what were you trying to feed? No need for all that trouble (and cruelty :D ) to feed tarantulas. Being spun around is a horrible feeling :D

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why all the talk about cruelty? Whether you feed live animals or pre-killed to your pets you're still killing the animal. Directly or indirectly...it doesn't matter. It's not a matter of what's natural or unnatural. I don't feed live mice (I raise and kill them myself) to my animals but that's just my preference. If I worried about what was cruel none of my pets would get fed.

Anywho, back on topic. Nice pics. P. regalis is a beautiful spider and definitely powerful.

evil_educator

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Incubu5 said:
Come to think of it evil, that's actually pretty interesting. However you left out one tinny little detail. Since when did you ever have the opportunity to actually test out your statement? On your king snake that you only fed pinkies to?

If you could simply arrange for a private screening I’m sure there would be hordes of people queuing up just to catch a glimpse of your "heroics". :worship: :worship: :worship:

That aside, that's a very nice regalis you have Jetzie. How big is she?

Cheers.
If you noticed, i said lol in my sentence. Meaning, all that i said was actually dramatic and meant as a joke =)

Jetzie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
actually she's almost 6inches (+ -, cant get a good size gauge for several reason :p )
basically if u feed rodents to your T. i guess the least cruel method is just let the rodent in as it is, of cuz there's a risk of your T getting injured. But hey! if you're gonna care about both the rodent and T at the same time, i will suggest stick to crickets. haha.

Lateralus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
evil_educator said:
If you noticed, i said lol in my sentence. Meaning, all that i said was actually dramatic and meant as a joke =)
Ah yes. My bad then. I forgot, you were always the stickler for drama. =)

Jetzie said:
actually she's almost 6inches (+ -, cant get a good size gauge for several reason :p )
basically if u feed rodents to your T. i guess the least cruel method is just let the rodent in as it is, of cuz there's a risk of your T getting injured. But hey! if you're gonna care about both the rodent and T at the same time, i will suggest stick to crickets. haha.
Nice, that's a pretty good sized specimen. However, you misunderstood me. I was simply curious about evil's penchant for mayhem and destruction concerning a somewhat conspicuous member of the rodent family. ;P

And yes, i do agree with you. Sometimes feeding rodents to a tarantula does wonders for it especially after a moult. However there is still an ever present risk of loosing a prized pet to a cheapskate 5 dollars feeder. Hey you never know. Sh*t happens. {D {D {D

Cheers,
Damien.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
David_F said:
Why all the talk about cruelty? Whether you feed live animals or pre-killed to your pets you're still killing the animal. Directly or indirectly...it doesn't matter.
If I can avoid it, I dont kill the prey myself. Due to the fact that if it isnt eaten the animal's life was wasted.

baboons24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have a 9inch a.geniculata i throw a mouse about evey 6weeks . my t never has had problem with killing them or coming close to getting hurt. 2 secs and that mouse is chewed up pretty well. she is real heavy eater. i still feed her crickets but she prefers large prey, and will not touch pre-killed food at all. i have tried on several occasions, no go. anything i feed her has to moving around the cage. she will chase hunt whatever i put in her.

Jetzie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ahh genis are great eaters i agree man, almost like a bottomles pit. they dont seem to get full. ahah.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
baboons24 said:
i have a 9inch a.geniculata i throw a mouse about evey 6weeks . my t never has had problem with killing them or coming close to getting hurt. 2 secs and that mouse is chewed up pretty well. she is real heavy eater. i still feed her crickets but she prefers large prey, and will not touch pre-killed food at all. i have tried on several occasions, no go. anything i feed her has to moving around the cage. she will chase hunt whatever i put in her.

I have never seen a 9 inch genic...would it be possible to see some pics beside a ruler ?? that must be a real monster !!

Regards, Mike :clap:

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bump....still hoping to see pics of the "9" inch geniculata beside a ruler...

Regards, Mike :liar: