You won't believe this ¬¬

dirtydirt

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
At least you're alright!!!

ahahhahahahahaha.....This put a smile on my face. Sorry for your loss (oven and rock).

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think it even needs water or air inside. As the rock heats it expands. If it is done quickly some parts of it heat and expand farther than other parts. That causes it to shatter, which in your case looked like an explosion.

The same thing will happen with glass if you heat it fast, or more likely if you take a piece of hot glass and cool it quickly in water.

Pretty awesome experience. Good thing you weren't like really close to it or something. Sorry about the stove too.

Radamanthys

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
NatureBoy: Yeah, i almost threw myself out of the sofa with that "Holy mother of f*ck!!!" look on my face!

rustym3talh3ad: If it was me i'd be crying by now, lol!

Clam1991: i thinked that but i was like "hell, i'll just heat it up, too much work picking everything to boil it." Well, the working picking up glass shards was 10 times it... :wall:

gvfarns: I think if it only heats it would just crack, don't explode... :?

Last edited:

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't think it even needs water or air inside. As the rock heats it expands. If it is done quickly some parts of it heat and expand farther than other parts. That causes it to shatter, which in your case looked like an explosion.

The same thing will happen with glass if you heat it fast, or more likely if you take a piece of hot glass and cool it quickly in water.

Pretty awesome experience. Good thing you weren't like really close to it or something. Sorry about the stove too.
Partially right. A rock can and will break into pieces when it's heated up at a quick rate but to explode to the point of takeing the oven door off entales another componant inside the rock. Trapped air is the most common element that can get trapped in rocks and air will expand much quicker than the surrounding rock. If there were no air, or water trapped in the rock it would have popped and broke apart but there would not have been the projectiles created with such volocity without one or the other (air or water). Rock and glass can crack and easily look like an explosion but to physically take the over door off, it would have to pack a larger punch than just rock or glass could deliver. Also remember that ovens have vents so they are not air tight. This means there had to be other elements to cause such force.

K1j1m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Now i see why they say never to throw a rock on a campfire. LOL!